Home charging point installation

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hvaghela

Hi Everyone, I'm a newbie

I've just put the deposit down on a new Outlander Phev and awaiting deliver in October. I'm looking at having a charging point installed at home.
I live in Nottinghamshire, UK.
My question is how much is the going rate for a tethered charging unit fully installed in the UK?
Anyone have any recommended companies or advice?

My apologies if this has been covered someone else.

Herbie

I'm a Newbie too and just got mine - was going to take up this £199 offer through Mitsubishi but a friend had a spare so didn't need to :mrgreen:

https://chargemasterplc.com/outlander

I'm waiting for the same £199 package (as above) to be installed by ChargeMaster. As far as I can tell this is definitely the best value as Mitsubishi owners get a free upgrade to a 7kw charger.
They ask for photos of your consumer unit/fuse box/etc, and told me that I needed to have a isolation switch installed first. My electricity supplier are doing that for a charge of £68 (which seems to be about the going rate). So bear that extra cost in mind if you don't have an isolation switch.

Hi Herbie,
We have had the Polar(Chargemaster) outdoor unit fitted last year under the Goverment scheme (FREE!!)
We have the type two and purchased a 2 to 1 cable from ebay £100
No problems but needs to be fitted near fuse box.
You are welcome to look at ours at Keyworth.
Big John
Ps great car :D

I went with a 32 A non-tehered unit from PodPoint before the grant was reduced as this makes it vritually future proofed for any othe hybrid or electin vehicle. Could not get any sense out of Chargemaster.
Got my 32 A rated type 2 to type 1 curly cable from EV Connectors.

Thanks for the offer Big John, I'll keep it in mind.

Doing a bit of 'Googling' I came across this - https://www.chargedev.co.uk/domestic/
£199, with £20 off discount code and 1 year fee CYC charging - sounds promising (and reasonably local to me).
Any one had any dealings with them - any positive or negative points?

Cheers
Herbie

endsofinvention said:
I'm waiting for the same £199 package (as above) to be installed by ChargeMaster. As far as I can tell this is definitely the best value as Mitsubishi owners get a free upgrade to a 7kw charger.
They ask for photos of your consumer unit/fuse box/etc, and told me that I needed to have a isolation switch installed first. My electricity supplier are doing that for a charge of £68 (which seems to be about the going rate). So bear that extra cost in mind if you don't have an isolation switch.

Its all a bit of a 'nice little earner' really, with the £500 grant they are getting £700, the unit is worth £350 retail but they get it cheaper still at cost. Then a fairly simple wiring job, maybe £100 worth. The £500 grant should be more than enough for these jobs.

Its a bit like all those companies so keen to put free boilers in for people on benefits, they fit cheap nasty units and the government foots a hefty bill for it.

Jimmac said:
will a wall mounted Rolec 3.7 charge the car any faster than the three pin plug charger ?
About 40% faster, so a full charge from 'empty' takes 3.5 instead of 5 hours. If you can access a standard 13A 3-pin plug, the extra cost is probably hard to justify (most people will be charging overnight), but if you want/need an external point anyway, the 16A (or more if you think you may get another EV that can take a higher rate of charge at some point in the future) option is the one to go for.

I'm using a domestic 3-pin cable while I wait for the tethered 7kw charger. I am definitely looking forward to the dedicated charger so I can just plug the cable in and be done, versus:
1. Open house window, hang extension cable out
2. Get charging cable from boot
3. Plug charging cable into extension and car
4. Pay attention to weather and quickly go and unplug or stuff charge cable/extension connection under car if it starts raining
5. Stay up until ~11pm to unplug after charging (and put cables away)
6. Worry that charging cable might get stolen because I keep forgetting to buy a padlock

I totally get that the default cable can work, but the dedicated tethered charger will make charging a lot less hassle.

Didn't think you were supposed to use an extension lead? Maybe an extra thick one that isn't too long - doesn't it get a bit hot? Everytime I've used my Mitsubishi 3-pin charger the three pin plug seems to get quite hot to the touch. Don't know how hot it's supposed to get?

Fortunately I now have a Rolec 32amp charger installed in my garage (my PHEV only actually sucks 16amps but thought 32amps might be handy in the future, the car decides how many amps to suck so 32 isn't a problem) which does indeed make life a lot easier. Wasn't that easy to achieve though as my garage is 20 meters (as the crow might fly) from my consumer unit (such as it is). The whole installation was supervised by Charged EV of Chesterfield. I laid around 15 metres of 6mm twin-and-earth cable from the consumer unit, under my floorboards with all the other cables, and then out through an outside wall.

Then I ran another 15 metres of 6mm armoured cable under my gravel yard to the garage. This had to be laid in a 600mm deep trench, with the cable laid on sand (half a ton), and with yellow plastic CAUTION! tape 150mm below the surface. This is to comply with Part 4 building regulations. Fortunately my neighbour has a mini digger. Charged EV then connected the Rolec on the garage wall (I provided a 12mm thick MDF sheet for them to attach it to), connected the twin-and-earth to the armoured cable on the outside wall via a suitable outside connector box, and then connected the twin-and-earth via a dedicated 32mp 'mini' (well, not that 'mini' - 300mm height by 140mm width) consumer unit to the mains meter in my house. Fortunately the wall unit that contains all my mains gubbins was big enough to fit it all in after a few bits were moved slightly. The 'mini' consumer unit had to be used a I only have old fashioned brown fuses which are not suitable for connecting to. Then it was all tested and switched-on.

Cost: Rolec 32amp charger £129, mini consumer unit £50, and fitting of both = total £179 (Charged EV). Type 2 to type 1 (7-pin to 5-pin) 5 metre connector £155 (Charged EV). 25 metres 6mm twin-and-earth cable (Screwfix) £34, 25 meters 6mm armoured cable (Quickbit.co.uk) £59. 20 metres CAUTION! tape £4.00 (ebay). Plus about two days of my time and some hefty digging (couldn't have done this without mini-digger) to lay the cables. Total cost for the lot = £431. So quite expensive then. Although if I'd paid electricians to do all of it, it would have been well over £1000.

As most of my journeys are less than 30 miles it does pay me to charge-up, and 3.5 hours is often more convenient than 5. I guess I could have just had a dedicated 13amp socket put in, but as my existing garage power supply is a bit old and slightly dubious, I would still have had to do most of the above.

I have suspended the 5 metre connector cable from my garage roof on rubber loops so I don't fall over it when I walk past the car when it's plugged in.

Were Charged EV any good? Well they answered my numerous communications promptly via phone and email and turned up when they said they would. They have supplied me with a part 4 and 7 Building Regulations Compliance Certificate. Considering the complex nature of my install and the fact that I was doing quite a lot of it myself they (mostly) kept up. Some of the finer details were a bit garbled but on the whole they were fine. I sent a message enquiry to Chargemaster via their website, but never got a reply.

Hi NightPHEVer

Thank you for your detailed post. I'm pleased you had a good service from Chargedev. I contacted them last week and placed an order for the 32Amp type 1 tethered unit. The earliest they can fit it in my area is the second week in November. A bit disappointed by the delay as my car arrives this weekend. Looks like I'll have to use a 3 pin plug until then. Fortunately I have an external socket outside garage, but fingers crossed its close enough for the charging lead.

endsofinvention said:
I'm using a domestic 3-pin cable while I wait for the tethered 7kw charger. I am definitely looking forward to the dedicated charger so I can just plug the cable in and be done, versus:
1. Open house window, hang extension cable out
2. Get charging cable from boot
3. Plug charging cable into extension and car
4. Pay attention to weather and quickly go and unplug or stuff charge cable/extension connection under car if it starts raining
5. Stay up until ~11pm to unplug after charging (and put cables away)
6. Worry that charging cable might get stolen because I keep forgetting to buy a padlock

I totally get that the default cable can work, but the dedicated tethered charger will make charging a lot less hassle.

It depends on your situation, do you need to take portable charger with you? I never have the opportunity away from home to use it so mine lives permanently safely in the garage, plugged into a dedicated socket direct from the fuse box. The output lead is plenty long enough to pass through a channel I made in the garage door frame. Reversed onto my drive it reaches the car with plenty to spare. A dummy holder on the outside wall hold the connector and keeps it dry when not in use.

If only, if only, if only!!!... the PHEV would take a 32a charge it would make it a whole different game... the connection are up to it, just the car's circuits are not. Stupid corner cutting by Mitsubishi. Yes it has the chademo port but rapid chargers for these sockets are pretty rare, especially after Ecotricity baled on us.

There must be a market for a new type of box, a domestic semi-rapid charger that can connect to a Chademo and can do say 32 (or bit more) amps.

Yes, Mitsubishi officially say "no extension cables", but I did some research and more than one person said they'd been using extensions with no issues. As long as the cable is good quality, and is fully unwound during use (it gets warm but not dangerously so), it works fine. And as I said, it's only a temporary solution until the tethered charger is installed.

Did my first Ecotricity CHADEMO charge at a service station at the weekend. All worked pretty seamlessly and got an 80% charge in 24 minutes (I'm an Ecotricity customer so can use their chargers for free).

endsofinvention said:
Did my first Ecotricity CHADEMO charge at a service station at the weekend. All worked pretty seamlessly and got an 80% charge in 24 minutes (I'm an Ecotricity customer so can use their chargers for free).

I bet you didn't have to queue! :(

That's the funny thing about rapid chargers - I've never seen anyone using one. I've just done 1500 miles in a week to Scotland and back - wouldn't have honestly liked to try that in a Tesla. Also, as everyone seems to suggest that using a rapid charger 'too often' (whatever that may mean) will decrease battery life, then it's not an especially encouraging thought to try. I've noticed some of the chargers have a 'normal' lead option (well, the one in Braemar does) as well, but then presumably that would mean waiting 3.5 hours.

I charged my PHEV using a 32amp Rolec wall charger at a hotel in Selkirk and although it seemed to work I got a 'charge interrupted due to system malfunction' message and when it was charging the battery symbol and the leaves stayed illuminated, as well as the small red charging symbol. Normally I only get the small, red charging symbol illuminated. This was a bit scary - the thought of having to 'contact my nearest Mitsubishi dealer' on the way to Scotland was not a prospect I relished.

Also, so the three pin plug charger, I appreciate this is supposed to be used only in a 'dedicated socket' meaning I'm guessing nothing else on the same circuit. Does that mean a ring circuit, a radial circuit or even a spur off either? What size should the wire be on this circuit - the same size as is usually used in household applications (I think 2.5mm twin and earth). I wonder how many people actually use a dedicated circuit, or would even know what one was? I'm still not sure how hot the three pin plug is supposed to get.

I'm trying to get Chargemaster to install a charge point for me, but they've come back and said that I need to get my electricity company to install a 100A dual pole isolator switch in between the KWh meter and the consumer unit. I asked my electricity company about it and they said 'that's not a service we offer'.

As I understand it, it's an offence for anyone other than the electricity supplier to interfere with the crimp security tags on the main 100A fuse feeding the house, but pulling that fuse would be necessary for someone to install an isolator switch.

Can anyone advise me on a company which is able to do the work, given that my electricity supplier (Iresa) say they won't.

Cheers.

My first post on here, so a quick introduction, then a comment and a question.
I'm aiming to buy my first PHEV in 2017, but my starting point is working out how best to set up home charging, so I'm delighted to find this forum and this thread. It strikes me that all these nice offers won't be around this long, as electric cars are starting to take off, and the plug-in hybrid is a highly attractive option, especially with the incentive of discounts.

Muddywheels, did that offer include installation, please?

Back