How can I keep the charge cable from being locked on as 2023?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aceinc

I have a new Outlander PHEV. I have noticed it locks the charge cable, so that it can't be removed without unlocking the driver's door (sometimes I seem to need to press the button on the dash). How can I configure the car to NEVER lock the charge cable?

I share a charger with others, and the rules of engagement say that if the vehicle plugged in is fully charged you are welcome to unplug the vehicle to charge yours. I want to be a good partner, so how do I ensure others can remove the charge cable at any time, or if the vehicle is fully charged?

The alternative, requires sending texts, or watching to ensure you go down & unplug.

Does the Handbook say anything about it? If not, I guess you can't and you'd have to make a modification to do so, e.g. take the wires of the locking solenoid.

aceinc said:
I share a charger with others, and the rules of engagement say that if the vehicle plugged in is fully charged you are welcome to unplug the vehicle to charge yours.

And how about the others you share the charger with? Isn't their plug lockable, or all have an option to leave it unlocked?

It is under settings. Thanks for all the pointers including RTM.

Don't know if anyone from Mitsubishi listens to this forum, but here goes;

It sure would be nice if one of the charge cable lock options was; "Lock charger cable until fully charged." or "Lock charger cable until charge complete."

I am pretty sure the idea is to keep it locked until you unlock it. If you had it plugged in outside in your drive way i would want it locked un till i said to unlock it otherwise it might go missing

aceinc said:
It sure would be nice if one of the charge cable lock options was; "Lock charger cable until fully charged." or "Lock charger cable until charge complete."

This option is available on BEVs (e.g. my Leaf, a cousin of the Outlander), where it is critical to get a full charge before sharing the EVSE. It is not that critical for a PHEV, so you can leave it unlocked and rely on people's good will (which, admittedly, is not very good towards PHEVs taking chargers.) At least, for the Outlander, the charging indicator light is quite obvious and intuitive, unlike the Leaf's.

Back