How do I get to the interior lighting bulbs?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Regulo, Yes, the 70´s car was great, with some few exceptions! As i live in Sweden with some snow, i admire people in the 80´s driving a rear wheel Volvo 240 or Ford Sierra with bad tyres without any anti systems at all.
About the ligts in cars, I started my Company repairing cars and boats 1991, I have followed the change, and experience the problems when new things are invented.
The turn lights for example, old cars uses a bi metal(i hope this is the correct Word) a small metal part that actually changes in dim. in temperature, so when you added a Power app. 40W(back and forward turn light) the bi metal expands and cuts the Power to the lamp, as a relay, when it cools down it connects agan, and this gets the lamp to flash correct.
Semi old cars gets simple electronics, actually a timer IC( example a simple 555) to Control the flashing of the lamps.
New cars have computers to controll everything, and you can adjust all parameters, if you konw how to do.
New cars with LED´s in turn lights have a interesting feature(not all) as you know a LED lights up VERY! fast, compare to a normal bulb, it can feel little sterssfull to see the very fast flashing, therefore some cars controlls the start up and shut down for the flashing to have it more to look like a old lamp.
Back lights of new cars are interesting, If you decide to mount a trailer coupling on a VW Tiguan for example, all the mounting is simple until you get to the electrical, this is tricky, the back lights and the brake ligts have just one! + Cable, interesting, this is how it works, the lamp gets +5V for lights, but 12V for brake lights, how do you solve this in the trailer coupling?, you myst have a special CAN-BUS trailer Electric wires, that actually separates the +5V and +12V into two different Cable with +12V controled by the 5 and 12V, you understand what i mean.
More to the can-bus and lights, some cars Controls the back up light(the White ones) when you have a trailer connected, it simply does not light up the ones on the car, as they will only light up the traier and you will not see anything, very smart, but difficult to control without a computer.

So conclution: can-bus + lights = true love!

RazMan said:
...if the CANBUS is going to throw a hissy fit.
Finally had them delivered and tried the LED's and it is like we feared it would be.
Double speed blinking ;)

I also don't care enough to go the extra mile with paralleled resistors.

Oh well, maybe there'll be plug and play indicator LED's on the market soon.....

Kim said:
Oh well, maybe there'll be plug and play indicator LED's on the market soon.....
Perhaps there is...
http://www.banggood.com/2-x-1156-BA15S-18SMD-AmberYellow-Canbus-OBC-Error-Free-Light-Bulbs-p-960249.html

*** Please note, this is not a recommendation ! :) ***

I'll give em a try, if I find someone who will order them for me. To bad, banggood does all its business via paypal now, which after beeing ripped of by for two times already, I wil not use again.

Here's a short clip I took, a little "how to" change the festoon on the inside of the PHEV to LEDs:

http://youtu.be/oYdinsY1bt8

Kim said:
I'll give em a try, if I find someone who will order them for me. To bad, banggood does all its business via paypal now, which after beeing ripped of by for two times already, I wil not use again.

Here's a short clip I took, a little "how to" change the festoon on the inside of the PHEV to LEDs:

http://youtu.be/oYdinsY1bt8

Brilliant thanks for that. Just gone out and slotted an LED in the boot. Took less than a minute. I'm tempted to do the others now...

Stvtech said:
Kim said:
Perhaps there is...
http://www.banggood.com/2-x-1156-BA15S-18SMD-AmberYellow-Canbus-OBC-Error-Free-Light-Bulbs-p-960249.html

Noooooo :shock: Don't even think about those - nowhere nearly bright enough. Only CREE types will do the job .... as long as you can overcome the fast flash thing.
I am sticking with old school bulbs for my indicators ... at least for now.

RazMan said:
Noooooo :shock: Don't even think about those - nowhere nearly bright enough. Only CREE types will do the job .... as long as you can overcome the fast flash thing.
I am sticking with old school bulbs for my indicators ... at least for now.

My main point was, that they are listed as plug-n-play canbus friendly.
However, you are undoubtedly correct, despite them being specced at 550-600lm (a normal filament 21W bulb can give between 250 and 400lm). Chinese manufacturers routinely overstate their product specifications.
Whilst there are no reviews for the twin pack that I linked to, the listing for a single unit has the following review (translated from Russian)...

"Wanted to put on the turn signals. Shines bad very dim. not worth the money I do not advise to buy"

Whilst I cannot recommend the lamp, I can recommend Banggood. been using them for a while, and they have always made good on anything that wasn't right.

Back