How easy is it to reprogram a blank key to steal the car

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevnorth

Has anyone watched watchdog tonight it was about reprogramming car keys and stealing them mainy BMW X6 Audis range rovers . How save are our outlanders

i suspect just as easy as BMW X5 / RangeRover / Audi A5 etc. But the biggest thing in the outlander favour is the fact these stolen cars are predominantly shipped off to overseas markets where prestige badges and big engines are in demand. My hunch is the mitsu badge and the plug in electric will not make them as attractive as the ones you saw on watchdog.
No evidence to support, just a docmentary on Folkestone port a year ago explaining where most of the UK stolen cars disappear to.

What they didn't explain was in all cases you need to access the inside of the car, engine bay or boot or drivers seat area. It's then a case of connecting to the system.

aitchjaybee said:
i suspect just as easy as BMW X5 / RangeRover / Audi A5 etc. But the biggest thing in the outlander favour is the fact these stolen cars are predominantly shipped off to overseas markets where prestige badges and big engines are in demand. My hunch is the mitsu badge and the plug in electric will not make them as attractive as the ones you saw on watchdog.
No evidence to support, just a docmentary on Folkestone port a year ago explaining where most of the UK stolen cars disappear to.
Unfortunately Hybrids and specifically plugin ones are in high demand in Eastern Europe.
It does need additional security like a class III alarm at least and/or a Bearlock.
Just the factory security is no deterrent at all to the professional car thief.

I might look into getting a ecu lock that would stop thieves getting access to the ecu and stop a key being reprogrammed

Back