How long/distance to regenerate battery to 80%

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Barnfather said:
I still can't figure the charge mode out.

Was on a long motorway trip recently, had it in charge mode for 20 minutes and got to about 7 miles of charge.

Sat in (almost) gridlocked stop-start traffic in my local town and put it in charge mode (I know, completely silly but wanted to see). By the time I had reached home 1 mile away - probably 20 minutes too, I had 14 miles of charge.

It would be nice to have a definitive 'optimal conditions/speed for using charge mode' guidance although not holding my breath

Given that the the quoted range is an estimate based on previous driving styles (aka the 'guessometer') isn't it more appropriate to consider what percentage of charge you gained via the two journeys you quoted ? On both occasions you may have gained, for example, 50% of battery charge but based on your previous driving the guessometer quoted two significantly different figures ?

When timing my 'abort Charge mode because I have sufficient SOC for the last slow part of mu trip', I always look at the remaining EV range, never at the bars. And 90% of the time, I manage to cross the checkered flag without further use of the engine and an SOC well below 30%. For this, the EV range meter is quite helpful.

Now, I quite like the estimated range figure but I also like the battery bar - but which is best? As Harry Hill would say - "there is only one way to find out FIGHT!" (This will be totally lost on our Dutch friends :lol:)

I believe the guessometer is much more accurate at its lower end than at the other.

Yesterday, much to my amazement, the predicted range on start was 38 miles, Sunday was 20, both after overnight top ups.

I didn't do much yesterday but plugged in overnight anyway. This morning it showed 36 miles but after a 1 mile return to the shop for a paper it had lost 4 miles despite still being on 36 when I arrived at the shop (nearly all downhill coasting and a bit of regen which still puts something back even into the full battery (according to the Guesso).

Went out a bit later and decided that after my 'errand' would run it out and back on the A617 from Chesterfield to the M1 and back and forth to see how much of the remaining 32 miles I would actually get.

Didn't exceed 60 indicated and pretty religiously coasted and regenned when appropriate, drove in Eco and just applied enough pressure on the pedal to get it moving at a reasonable rate.

I got 22!

But below 10 miles range (or so, I didn't stare at it continuously) remaining the thing seemed much more accurate such that I got back home on EV only with less than 1 mile remaining.

But as I said, the high numbers disappear quicker than snow on a dyke in Spring! (more likely to be a north British dyke with snow on it than a Dutch one, maybe!)

JimB

The other day I went on a 1,600km road trip. Part of that trip was 140km on a twisting gravel (marble type of gravel) road.

Hit charge, 4 x lock and switched off stability control.

Much to my disappointment at 120kmh the SOC just kept falling and could not keep up with demand.

It was 39c outside to the A/C was working overtime keeping the battery and myself cool.

At the 70km mark I pulled over and let it charge back up for the remainder of the trip.

NAPpy

NAPpy said:
The other day I went on a 1,600km road trip. Part of that trip was 140km on a twisting gravel (marble type of gravel) road.

Hit charge, 4 x lock and switched off stability control.

Much to my disappointment at 120kmh the SOC just kept falling and could not keep up with demand. "REALLY !"

It was 39c outside to the A/C was working overtime keeping the battery and myself cool.

At the 70km mark I pulled over and let it charge back up for the remainder of the trip.

NAPpy

I will put an old fogy hat on for a moment. ;)

Unless this was a timed rally, on a closed road, or there was a risk of being shot at, this could be considered dangerous driving.

At a reduced speed you would not have needed to stop and you may even have then been able to see some of the off road scenery along the way.

Private road old chap and nothing wrong with those speeds, in my Patrol I would have been going a lot faster.

greendwarf said:
Now, I quite like the estimated range figure but I also like the battery bar - but which is best? As Harry Hill would say - "there is only one way to find out FIGHT!" (This will be totally lost on our Dutch friends :lol:)
Although we normally do not get ITV on the cable, the Internet does allow our laptops to burp... ;)

NAPpy said:
Much to my disappointment at 120kmh the SOC just kept falling and could not keep up with demand.
Could not? Or would not?

I realise you were not towing or anything, but wat you have experienced has been discussed (and explained IMHO) in this topic: http://www.myoutlanderphev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1541&p=16699&hilit=4wd+lock#p16699

anko said:
NAPpy said:
Could not? Or would not?

I realise you were not towing or anything, but wat you have experienced has been discussed (and explained IMHO) in this topic: http://www.myoutlanderphev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1541&p=16699&hilit=4wd+lock#p16699

Yes, of course, because of the fixed gear ratio the ICE could not spin faster to produce the extra kW required for the load.

Bit of a pity really as 120km was the slowest I was willing to go, I do prefer to go quicker on gravel.

Cheers

NAPpy

Over 120 the car will take up all the power the engine can produce especially on a high-resistance surface like gravel, so the battery level would have dropped even lower.

jaapv said:
Over 120 the car will take up all the power the engine can produce especially on a high-resistance surface like gravel, so the battery level would have dropped even lower.

So how do you guys go where the speed limit is not stifled to 110 and enforced with an over zealous police force like it is in Aus?

Last time I was in Europe (last year) we sat on about 140 on the 130 freeways, given this the PHEV would go into turtle mode quite quickly!

Cheers

NAPpy

Okay, must be a function of 4x4. Bit disappointing really but it is what it is.

We normally get 3,000 - 4,000 out of a tank of fuel so generally I'm still happy :mrgreen:

NAPpy said:

We normally get 3,000 - 4,000 out of a tank of fuel so generally I'm still happy :mrgreen:

And at 39c you were approaching the car's operational limit anyway. I doubt that we in Northern Europe often have the opportunity to try to travel on gravel at that sort of temp at 160kph. Anyway the a/c will have been soaking up a lot of power - did you try turning it off to see if it made a difference?

BTW - why trying to Charge at the same time? Your Patrol wasn't being asked to do that - so rather an unfair comparison. :?

greendwarf said:
NAPpy said:

And at 39c you were approaching the car's operational limit anyway. I doubt that we in Northern Europe often have the opportunity to try to travel on gravel at that sort of temp at 160kph. Anyway the a/c will have been soaking up a lot of power - did you try turning it off to see if it made a difference?

BTW - why trying to Charge at the same time? Your Patrol wasn't being asked to do that - so rather an unfair comparison. :?

It was only 120kph, I would have liked higher but the discharge was not allowing it. Turn off the A/C at 39c!!! You have to be kidding ;)

In high power demands I always hit the charge, not sure why, perhaps the ensure the ICE is running, like when I was on the beach in soft sand.

Anyhow, still happy with the car but a tad disappointed that I can't do long higher speed gravel runs in 4x4.

NAPpy

NAPpy said:
jaapv said:

So how do you guys go where the speed limit is not stifled to 110 and enforced with an over zealous police force like it is in Aus?

Last time I was in Europe (last year) we sat on about 140 on the 130 freeways, given this the PHEV would go into turtle mode quite quickly!

Cheers

NAPpy
Well, it doesn't. At least I have never managed to on long Autobahn runs @ 130-140-150. The only time I got a warning (no power loss or turtle, though) was on an empty battery, a very long incline, skibox, heavy load and full power ( about 160 on the Tacho in those circumstances) and probably head wind. Half a minute off the accelerator and the warning disappeared, never to return.
Normally, running on charge, the battery level will vary around half-full or slightly below.

NAPpy said:
Turn off the A/C at 39c!!! You have to be kidding ;)

In traffic, I'd agree, but at 120 with the windows open and/or blowers on - surely Aussies are tougher than this. You sound like a whingin' Pom :lol:

greendwarf said:
NAPpy said:
Turn off the A/C at 39c!!! You have to be kidding ;)

In traffic, I'd agree, but at 120 with the windows open and/or blowers on - surely Aussies are tougher than this. You sound like a whingin' Pom :lol:

And fill the car up with red dust :ugeek:

Back