How long/distance to regenerate battery to 80%

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The bigger problem with driving in the 120-140kph speed range is the high petrol consumption. It may be fine when refuels stops are under 300-400km apart. On my AUS road trip, I had to be very aware of operation mode and battery level and petrol economy. An off the main road excursion of 150km in and out on a rough unsealed road, soon makes the driver critically aware of the small petrol tank.

I tested the CHARGE mode on 2 occasions on the flat road north of Alice Springs, in the NT. Took about 140km at about 100kph to get to about 80% from empty battery. temp was mid 30's.

My dealer is still complaining about red dust under the hood, from my trip to Northern West Australia. At least the double door and tailgate seals helped keep the cabin clear of the dust.

I manage now predominantly with SAVE mode. CHARGE mode is useful when I have left the car in Normal mode when driving in the city and flattened the battery by accident. Getting some energy back in the battery allows me to get home through the hills with a relatively quiet drive with the PHEV operating in parallel hybrid drive and EV available for the last stretch to home in relative silence.

gwatpe said:
The bigger problem with driving in the 120-140kph speed range is the high petrol consumption. It may be fine when refuels stops are under 300-400km apart. On my AUS road trip, I had to be very aware of operation mode and battery level and petrol economy. An off the main road excursion of 150km in and out on a rough unsealed road, soon makes the driver critically aware of the small petrol tank.

I tested the CHARGE mode on 2 occasions on the flat road north of Alice Springs, in the NT. Took about 140km at about 100kph to get to about 80% from empty battery. temp was mid 30's.

My dealer is still complaining about red dust under the hood, from my trip to Northern West Australia. At least the double door and tailgate seals helped keep the cabin clear of the dust.

I manage now predominantly with SAVE mode. CHARGE mode is useful when I have left the car in Normal mode when driving in the city and flattened the battery by accident. Getting some energy back in the battery allows me to get home through the hills with a relatively quiet drive with the PHEV operating in parallel hybrid drive and EV available for the last stretch to home in relative silence.

I hear you gwatpe, I was stopping every 300km just so I could get to the next stop without running out.

I sat on 117gps on the blacktops with some full throttle acceleration overtakes and averaged 9l/100km including the power draining 140km on dirt.

NAPpy

NAPpy said:
Yes, of course, because of the fixed gear ratio the ICE could not spin faster to produce the extra kW required for the load.

Bit of a pity really as 120km was the slowest I was willing to go, I do prefer to go quicker on gravel.

Cheers

NAPpy
I think you are missing the point. It has nothing to do with fixed gear ratio as (most likely) it would be able to keep up with demand if you had not selected 4WD Lock. The thing is the engine has a strong preference of running in the sweetspot (75 - 80% load). In parallel mode (non 4WD Lock) it may not be able to as it needs more that 75 - 80% load just to keep going. So it will work a few bits harder. But when half of the power needed for driving is provided by the rear e-motor, then engine's programming will favour 'running in the sweetspot' over 'maintaining SOC. With the standard instrumentation it is difficult to see, but I have observed that instantaneous fuel consumption drops significantly when 4WD Lock is involved. Presumably it does so because it is more efficient.

Wouldn't it be possible to rely on 4WD rather than 4WD Lock for that stretch?

At those speeds there was no 4x4, lock was the only way to engage the rear motor from what I observed.

It's not an issue for me as I will not, or at least not often, be doing that type of trip again though I will miss my high speed gravel fun, there is nothing better than sliding around a corner at speed IMHO.

I'm happy with the car and look forward to stopping the ICE kicking in when the ACC sees a clear road ahead and tries to accelerate to the higher set speed :mrgreen:

NAPpy

NAPpy said:
...I'm happy with the car and look forward to stopping the ICE kicking in when the ACC sees a clear road ahead and tries to accelerate to the higher set speed :mrgreen: NAPpy

I now hit the cancel button when I have to slow down behind traffic when in ACC or even CC.

I am yet to test if ECO makes the rush of power less severe.

gwatpe said:
NAPpy said:
...I'm happy with the car and look forward to stopping the ICE kicking in when the ACC sees a clear road ahead and tries to accelerate to the higher set speed :mrgreen: NAPpy

Not that I can detect gwatpe.

gwatpe said:
NAPpy said:

I now hit the cancel button when I have to slow down behind traffic when in ACC or even CC.

It does, but only slightly so.

NAPpy said:
At those speeds there was no 4x4, lock was the only way to engage the rear motor from what I observed.

It's not an issue for me as I will not, or at least not often, be doing that type of trip again though I will miss my high speed gravel fun, there is nothing better than sliding around a corner at speed IMHO.

I'm happy with the car and look forward to stopping the ICE kicking in when the ACC sees a clear road ahead and tries to accelerate to the higher set speed :mrgreen:

NAPpy
But the rear drive will engage instantly when the car detects the need. It has an anti-yaw system, that is why M. calls it a permanent 4WD. I see no advantage in engaging 4WD lock at higher speed.
It is not a real off-roader, so trying to drive like you would a Landrover is not always the optimal solution. The system is more like BMW X-drive.

jaapv said:
But the rear drive will engage instantly when the car detects the need. It has an anti-yaw system, that is why M. calls it a permanent 4WD. I see no advantage in engaging 4WD lock at higher speed.
It is not a real off-roader, so trying to drive like you would a Landrover is not always the optimal solution. The system is more like BMW X-drive.

Does the anti yaw system turn off when you turn off stability control? I had the stability control off as it was way too violent trying to correct the car on gravel.

NAPpy

Back