How Safe Do You Feel

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

worrywart

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking at several vehicles, including the Outlander PHEV, and I'd like to get your perspective on how safe you feel in this vehicle. We're also considering an Outback, RAV-4, and Forester. Looking at the Euro NCAP ratings, the Outlander does get 5 starts, but it seems like in side-protection it's so-so, especially in the pole test.

I also worry about charging the Outlander in the garage of our apartment complex. Any concerns about the batteries, fire, or other?

Seems like the car is built well and has pretty good reliability. Our driving pattern would be ideal for this car (short trips in the city during the week, longer outings on the weekends).

I'd love to go PHEV, but with a small family, still trying to iron out how safe the vehicle is compared to other alternatives, and whether the charging/battery tech is proven out.

Any insights you can share would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jonathan

I don't think we've had any examples round here of contributors involved in serious accidents, so we really have to trust the results of the official tests. We've not seen any reason to believe that it is less safe than comparable cars.

I would not worry at all about the batteries; if anything is thought out, it's that part of the car.

I had a Volvo V70 which I sold to buy the Outlander. The Volvo felt safer, more rigid, but the Volvo standard on safety is (very) high. That said, I would rather sit in the Outlander having a V70 in the side than sitting in the Volvo, with an Outlander in the side of the car. Front to front? I'm not sure. I would bet on the volvo.

What surprises, is that the Volvo weighed 1600 KG. The Outlander, including battery pack, about 1800 KG. It's not very scientific, but without the 400 KG battery pack, the Outlander would be around 1400 KG. The cars are about the same size (height is different). Is that 200 KG less steel? I don't know.

Compared to a Nissan Quasquai and Kia Sorento however, the Outlander is - when it comes to my gut feeling - safer. The same goes for any car smaller that the Outlander which I have driven so far.

The point with crash tests is (running something into a solid object), in my opinion, that the energy released on impact depends only on the weight of the car. Exagerated: an "airport proof" suitcase will perform well in the standard NCAP crash test, because it doesn't have to deal with it's own mass, or just very little of it (which mass has to be stopped).

If they would design a crash test that would simulate a car driving into something on wheels with a mass of 1500 KG going 30 MPH, results would be much more realistic: the "smart" but small car would need to stop way more than it's own mass and therefore more than it was designed for (it was designed for dealing with it's own 800 - 900 kg mass). The Outlander would even have some forward going energy left, after the impact. The small car would go backwards. Which car is safer? Again: this is no science. This is me.

Long story short: safety first but safety is relative. Are you planning on hitting an oak tree, or a '86 Mini? The differences between equal sized cares from most A-brands are so small, that you should not be led by them too much.

In most cases the most unsafe part of the package is the nut behind the wheel. I feel calm and relaxed when driving the PHEV and I put this down to the style of driving it induces. Why would anyone buy a car like this then try to burn rubber? Consequently if you are relaxed you are more likely to be a more considerate driver, more anticipative and more in tune with what is happening around you rather than driving like your hair is on fire.

The PHEV crash tests are online, have a look. I would say it matches or betters any car in its class. Personally the high sitting position is an additional plus.

Well, a Volvo XC60 (let alone a XC90) will be safer. As will a Mercedes GL / M or whatever they are called these days. The same goes for the BMW X5, X6 and big Audi's.

Fact is, that Volvo and Mercedes (BMW and Audi are NOT included) use stronger steel. How do I know? Because cutting a vehicle by firemen after a crash proves to be a problem in practice, only with these (common) brands. Mitsubishi does not build the Outlander nearly as strong as Volvo and Mercedes do with their SUV's. But please note: it doesn't make an Outlander "unsafe".

Thank you everyone for the replies so far. I realize that a lot of it comes down to driving style and situational awareness.

I've looked at the crash test data for several weeks (in too much detail) and have also tried to get a better feel for how the charging system works. I haven't been able to find much in terms of the risk of the batteries, but since this is still relatively new technology, I'm still worried about the possibility of thermal runaway or some sort of fire at the outlet.

Thanks again for your input!

-Jonathan

worrywart said:
Thank you everyone for the replies so far. I realize that a lot of it comes down to driving style and situational awareness.

I've looked at the crash test data for several weeks (in too much detail) and have also tried to get a better feel for how the charging system works. I haven't been able to find much in terms of the risk of the batteries, but since this is still relatively new technology, I'm still worried about the possibility of thermal runaway or some sort of fire at the outlet.

Thanks again for your input!

-Jonathan

If you are worried about a fire after a crash - what do you think of sitting on 10 gallons of petrol.
I came to terms about taking the risk of driving over 50 years ago.

worrywart said:
. . . or some sort of fire at the outlet.

Not quite sure what you mean. The PHEV draws about 10 amps through a domestic 13 amp fused plug. It's no more likely to burst into fire than a 2.5kW kettle. There are many safeguards built into the on-board charging circuits, the battery temperature and cell charge state are monitored during charging, so I really think you are reading too much into this aspect of the question. As for crash protection, it has passed the standard crash tests as well as any other car. There will always be the situation where even the strongest vehicle will not protect you. It's life, and if you worry too much about what might or might not happen, you may as well stay in bed. Drive defensively and with care, and that's all you can do. Remember, you are responsible for the most precious cargo you can carry - your family and yourself.

Thank you for the additional replies, everyone. Yes, I tend to worry a bit about stuff, and it's good to get your perspectives. Will let everyone know if we decide to go down this road (which is likely!).

I feel like I am missing something in my car buying choices. I don't think I have ever so much as looked at collision safety ratings.

I have always been of the opinion that modern cars are intrinsically much safer than ever before. I get that you would steer clear from a few obvious things like not buying really cheap, nasty tiny hatchbacks from india or china.

My "other" car has no roof, doors or even a windscreen and gets driven with a whole lot more vigour that the PHEV! It puts all it power down through its rear wheels and is made out of sheet stainless steel.

Maybe a bit blase.

Before the PHEV, I have always bought cars with a proper steel ladder structure chassis that would not be out of place on a lorry and bodywork that almost qualified as armour plate! I worked on the principle that anything that hit me (or that I hit) should be completely demolished while my car could be fixed with a small application of aerosol paint. This has served me well for close to 30 years!

Re earlier comments regarding the "flimsy" bodywork of the PHEV - I had the opportunity to test the bonnet last weekend when the cat locked me out of the house (well that's my excuse :oops: ) and had to climb up on to the carport roof via the car to get into the back garden! Stood up to my weight (11st) with no damage. :D

maby said:
Before the PHEV, I have always bought cars with a proper steel ladder structure chassis that would not be out of place on a lorry and bodywork that almost qualified as armour plate! I worked on the principle that anything that hit me (or that I hit) should be completely demolished while my car could be fixed with a small application of aerosol paint. This has served me well for close to 30 years!

I fear that this would not work out well in a serious collision.

With rigid vehicles, all of the forces of the impact move the vehicles around in sudden, different directions. This has the effect of bouncing around the occupants, like a pea in a whistle.

This effect is at its worst in a single vehicle collision (car meets obstruction)

Unfortunately, we are not as robust as the pea in the whistle.

Modern cars absorb the impacts are massively soften the blow to the occupants.

That is indeed the way it is nowadays. Soft shell, hard core and optimized crumple zones are the safest - exactly the way the Outlander is designed. Many modern -and very safe- cars even use plastic instead of steel for outer panels.

Back