How useful is the Mitsubishi App or other 3rd party Apps ?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

westerdaled

Hi

I picked up my Phev a couple of weeks ago so I am gradually getting used to it ( or not in the case of TMC :roll: ). Anyway, I have registered the app on my Note 4 but I am struggling to see how useful it is

- Taking the charging timer? When I do this during the week is determined by the traffic on the homeward journey so not fixed. Wouldn't better to connect up and the App gives you push alerts/ txts when the fast charging is 50% or 100% charged.

Has anybody found it useful? Is the other Apps out there that offer better features ?

Cheers

Daniel

Bit of fancy in the beginig. I rarely use however since I bought my 4h in april this may be the reason for not finding it useful , it is possible the app may useful in winter

westerdaled said:
Hi

I picked up my Phev a couple of weeks ago so I am gradually getting used to it ( or not in the case of TMC :roll: ). Anyway, I have registered the app on my Note 4 but I am struggling to see how useful it is

- Taking the charging timer? When I do this during the week is determined by the traffic on the homeward journey so not fixed. Wouldn't better to connect up and the App gives you push alerts/ txts when the fast charging is 50% or 100% charged.

Has anybody found it useful? Is the other Apps out there that offer better features ?

Cheers

Daniel

Wait until winter and you go outside in the morning to a toasty warm fully defrosted car.. activated by remote control while you were still in bed!

Hi

Firstly, I do need to the post signature to include Gxh4. Ok,I see the appeal in Winter but can see what I mean.

Thanks

Daniel

I don’t use the charging timer functionality at all. I just plug my car in every night and charge it up when I get home. If you have an electricity tariff which provides cheaper electricity during the night then I guess the timer would be useful, but I don’t have that so its of no value to me.

The preheating function is definitely useful though. Going out to a warm car on a cold morning is great, as well as the fact that the heat is generated while plugged in to the charger and therefore has minimal impact on the battery range (albeit the car will cool down quite quickly on a very cold day so you’ll have to switch the heating on in the car at some stage).

I’ve never used any of the other stuff (changing settings, switching on lights, etc.) and struggle to see why this would be useful.

jaapv said:
Switching on lights can be useful if you cannot find the car in a parking lot at night ;)

True....but then you have to be within Wi-Fi range of the car to do it, and I'm pretty sure that if I was within 5 or 10 metres of the car I'd be able to see it ?

anko said:
NS633 said:
Same as the normal app.
Nothing exciting.
Except for the fact that you are not bound to WiFi range :!:

I might give it a punt ... I like the idea of getting status txts rather than having to go looking for the info. but I want it auto register events such as IsCharging="Fast" or IsCharging="Rapid" etc. Now this would be useful.

I've used the app twice. The first time to set up all the variables that I want like single press of the key fob for dead lock, how many flashes of the indicators when locking and that the head lights come on when unlocking the car in the dark. The second time was to set the cooling timer so the air on comes on before I drive home from the office (if my car is stationary and locked at the set times).

However, I use an app called WiFi Priority to turn off my phone auto connecting so it doesn't screw up the Bluetooth connection.

I will not use it again until it's time to set the pre heating before going out to work in the morning (6.45am or earlier) in the cold months.

As for input, output data ad all the other stuff, in my opinion life really is too short to even worry about it! (My opinion only)

I've deleted my app and turned off the car's wifi since the notification from Mitsubishi that there was a potential hack / security issue (on which, no further updates I note :roll: ). I know some people on here aren't concerned about this, but my wife's Ford Kuga was stolen in the night from our drive without us hearing a thing using just such a hack.

I found the app useful for setting heating timers in the winter (cooling less of an issue in the UK!), so I will miss that, but I gather than can be set up inside the car.

Overall, however, I'd have to say I was pretty unimpressed by the app and wifi set up. It feels pretty old fashioned and clunky to me - and I bet it is when compared to offerings from (say) BMW and Tesla. I think Mitsu are missing a trick here - these cars to tend to appeal to people with an interest in cutting edge technology and those people are more likely to become repeat customers if Mitsu can impress them with this sort of thing.

jamerg said:
I've deleted my app and turned off the car's wifi since the notification from Mitsubishi that there was a potential hack / security issue (on which, no further updates I note :roll: ). I know some people on here aren't concerned about this, but my wife's Ford Kuga was stolen in the night from our drive without us hearing a thing using just such a hack.

I found the app useful for setting heating timers in the winter (cooling less of an issue in the UK!), so I will miss that, but I gather than can be set up inside the car.

Overall, however, I'd have to say I was pretty unimpressed by the app and wifi set up. It feels pretty old fashioned and clunky to me - and I bet it is when compared to offerings from (say) BMW and Tesla. I think Mitsu are missing a trick here - these cars to tend to appeal to people with an interest in cutting edge technology and those people are more likely to become repeat customers if Mitsu can impress them with this sort of thing.

Hi that is worrying :roll: - is there any info on this out there.. Was it simple to turn off? Other than than the much discussed "pre-heat the car on winter mornings" I am struggling to see how useful the app is. In the case of Mitsubishi they are going to have to get us to check our local service station and apply the appropriate software update. BTW maybe a dumb question but is the SSID & PW we are given by the dealer unique to each car?

westerdaled said:
jamerg said:

Hi that is worrying :roll: - is there any info on this out there.. Was it simple to turn off? Other than than the much discussed "pre-heat the car on winter mornings" I am struggling to see how useful the app is. In the case of Mitsubishi they are going to have to get us to check our local service station and apply the appropriate software update. BTW maybe a dumb question but is the SSID & PW we are given by the dealer unique to each car?

http://www.mitsubishi-cars.co.uk/outlander/remote-app.aspx

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-36444586

http://www.myoutlanderphev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2564

jamerg said:
westerdaled said:
jamerg said:

http://www.mitsubishi-cars.co.uk/outlander/remote-app.aspx

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-36444586

http://www.myoutlanderphev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2564

Thanks I think it would be crazy not to turn the WIFI off, delete the app until advised to do so. and this seems to the official line by Mitsubishi.

I've talked to the people (Pen Test Partners) who identified the weakness and developed the hack, and they don't claim that it would be possible to steal the car by hacking the wifi. The hack allows you to do whatever you can do with the app - so turning charging off, operating the heating and headlights, and (the most significant issue) disabling the alarm. But you still need a key to start the car.

I suppose you could pick up the car and put it on a low-loader without triggering the alarm, but if you live in an area where that kind of activity raises no eyebrows, doing it with the alarm sounding probably wouldn't make much difference to the outcome.

My personal anti-theft system is to live between owners of a Ford Mustang and a fully tricked-out M3. I reckon if car thieves visit, they won't be going after my PHEV first :)

ChrisMiller said:
I've talked to the people (Pen Test Partners) who identified the weakness and developed the hack, and they don't claim that it would be possible to steal the car by hacking the wifi. The hack allows you to do whatever you can do with the app - so turning charging off, operating the heating and headlights, and (the most significant issue) disabling the alarm. But you still need a key to start the car.

And know the start sequence - which would defeat quite a few of them, as I sometimes get it wrong after 2 years :lol:

Back