I confess, I'm a smoker.

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MartinPHEV

Traded in my trusty 2004 Landrover Discovery last week for a 2017 G4H. I'm still reading through the handbook - it makes War & Peace seem like a light read.

OK so there's no cigarette lighter and I'm one of that dying breed of smokers. I have plenty of spare lighting plug-in elements but none of them seem to fit. Did a Google search and nothing make/model specific showed up. Just the usual cheap, Chinese, generic, replace the whole unit jobs and I don't want to pull out the original fitting.

It is shown in the handbook together with Mitsubishi's usual OTT instructions on how to use this complex device! But it has an asterisk meaning that it is model or option dependant. Asked local dealer to find the part just for the push-in element and he came back with Part Number 82014 and a very reasonable 73.10 GBP - glug!

I'm not even sure the dashboard socket is even designed to take a lighter, it doesn't look quite right.
Has anyone else trodden this path and what solution did you find please?

Seriously, quit smoking.

Every second that you don't smoke, helps reduce the damage that you've already done to yourself.

I've a phone charger in mine, so there's definitely a size to fit. In my smoking days, my old MR2 had the smaller Japanese size, maybe that's it? I bought a heating element for that from eBay.

I had a vague recollection of removing it back in 2014 to put a dashcam power lead in and putting it in the centre bin.
Just checked as you would have been welcome to it.
Unfortunately it was just a lighter-shaped rubber bung.
Sorry.

Certainly the "hole" on my 2014 car takes all the plugs I've used in my Avensis, which still had a real lighter - so I would have thought facia would take any standard sized one. Scrapyard?

Thanks for your help guys (including the lifestyle choice guidance).

For future reference on this forum and with the help of a Mitsubishi dealer technician, I now know, with a high degree of certainty, that the 2017 4H has only accessory sockets and no cigarette lighter. So pushing various shape and size lighters into the hole was a waste of time. It does explain why there are no options for ashtrays and seems to indicate that the handbook for this (and probably all current variants) is incorrect.

I'm surprised. I always thought that the cigar lighter was a self contained unit which heats up due to the current flowing through it. The connections being in the same position for accessory plugs - which wouldn't work otherwise. Or are there no round sockets on the current model?

BTW the ashtray (where available) is a round portable unit which will fit in the cup holder in the centre console. When not required it sits in the similar sized hole on top of the rear wheel arch cover in the luggage area - still don't know what the long hole on top of the other arch is for though. :roll:

The round holes are there Greendwarf. One in the dash and one in the armrest box but these are not suitable for a cigarette lighter. The socket designed for this purpose has two sprung latches inside that hold the lighter until it gets hot enough to self eject.

Probably Mitsubishi made life simple on themselves by adapting the car to jurisdictions which forbid smoking in a car. BTW - in the UK it is banned when there are persons under 18 in the car.

jaapv said:
Probably Mitsubishi made life simple on themselves by adapting the car to jurisdictions which forbid smoking in a car. BTW - in the UK it is banned when there are persons under 18 in the car.

Or if its a company car and it carries, or is used by, any other employees or customers.

Perhaps switch to Vaping and hook it up to the main battery? should be quite a hit from a 12 kwh battery :p

Back