I love going incognito in the PHEV.

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trex

In another thread we were discussing aerodynamics, shape (butt ugly came up once :lol:) etc and this was brought up.

I hope you do not mind me quoting you here Tipper. :)

Tipper said:
And yes I bought and run my own car which is currently averaging around 70 mpg over the last two years or so. I'm more than happy with that as it's much better than my previous BMW diesel and doesn't suffer the aggressive behaviour of other drivers towards the BMW.

Now please note that last bit "the aggressive behaviour of other drivers towards the BMW".

So that is what happens over there as well as here!

I once owned a BMW that I worked bloody hard to be able to buy as at the time it was considered a "drivers car" and it was a great driving car. But it was expensive to buy parts and service and some people here were just jealous you owned a car like that, we call that the "tall poppy syndrome" over here, and tried to cause trouble.

Now it was the same with the Toyota Prius I once owned. Smallish car, hated by the V8 brigade etc and people sometimes tried to push into non existent gaps between you and the car in front that they would never do if you were driving a bigger car. It also looked "different" so you tended to stick out like "dog's balls" so that probably did not help.

My son drives a Toyota Camry Hybrid, medium size car, looks just like all the other Camrys and never any problem.

Then there is the PHEV. Bigger again so you have no problems with the V8 brigade, looks like every other Outlander so no sticking out like "dog's balls" but all that technology hidden away from other's prying eyes. So no problem here with others trying to steal it. To most its just another Outlander.

Yes I love travelling incognito in the PHEV. :D

But that is just my opinion. :)

Regards Trex.

ps For that reason alone I probably would not buy the BMW i3. It "stick out" trying to show off its eco credentials which could be bad news here.

Trex said:
Now please note that last bit "the aggressive behaviour of other drivers towards the BMW".
Obviously, the BMW phenomena exists over here as well. But how come, there is no such thing when it comes to Mercedes, Jaguar, Range Rover or any other premium brand? Interestingly enough, the 'aggression' seems to be shifting towards (the little bit less premium) Audi these days. To be honest, I don't think it is that car. It is how they are driven (blunt generalisation, I know and I apologise for that).

Trex said:
Then there is the PHEV. Bigger again so you have no problems with the V8 brigade, looks like every other Outlander so no sticking out like "dog's balls" but all that technology hidden away from other's prying eyes. So no problem here with others trying to steal it. To most its just another Outlander.
In the Netherlands, I guess 99% of Outlanders are PHEV. if it weren't for the PHEV, Mitsubishi would be close to non existent over here. If I owned a non PHEV Outlander, I would make a great effort to let the world know! :mrgreen:

Talking about driving small cars, my wife had a Toyota Aygo and it seemed that other drivers could not abide having this car in front of them, they would overtake even in dangerous situations, especially Audi and BMW drivers. With my new (mar 2017) GX4HS I don't seem to get the Audi and BMW drivers tailgating me and glaring at me through the mirror.

outlander660 said:
Talking about driving small cars, my wife had a Toyota Aygo and it seemed that other drivers could not abide having this car in front of them..
The small car thing exists, for sure. My last was an i30 hatch, and people would overtake me (doing 110+) only to pull in and slow down again. They just hated being behind a small car.
(oh, and ask a truck driver about it... I personally have a thing about getting stuck behind a truck so I can't take the moral high ground on that one)

Trex said:
Then there is the PHEV. Bigger again so you have no problems with the V8 brigade, looks like every other Outlander so no sticking out like "dog's balls" but all that technology hidden away from other's prying eyes. So no problem here with others trying to steal it. To most its just another Outlander...
Outlanders are in general very incognito around my parts even though I'm fairly certain I'm driving the only PHEV around.
I do catch the odd look as people notice the "EV" badge or in warmer months when windows are down and I pull away and the noise is wrong (when it's in spaceship mode)

At the risk of upsetting the PC brigade! :roll: Here in Sarf Lundun, several years ago, the BMW became so associated with the local gang culture that the police would offer £3000 reward for info, as that was the going price on the 2nd hand market. :lol:

HappyHeyoka said:
Outlanders are in general very incognito around my parts even though I'm fairly certain I'm driving the only PHEV around.

There is only one other PHEV I see around here and its driven by a doctor.

So that means there are at least IMO 2 smart people living around here. ;)

greendwarf said:
At the risk of upsetting the PC brigade! :roll: Here in Sarf Lundun, several years ago, the BMW became so associated with the local gang culture that the police would offer £3000 reward for info, as that was the going price on the 2nd hand market. :lol:

Now Mr greendwarf Sir, so Sarf Lundun is South London but where are the alps you were writing about, where it was snowing, in the the other thread . I just cannot find them on Google Earth. :? :lol:

Still snowing there?

Trex said:
greendwarf said:

Now Mr greendwarf Sir, so Sarf Lundun is South London but where are the alps you were writing about, where it was snowing, in the the other thread . I just cannot find them on Google Earth. :? :lol:

Still snowing there?

No real snow yet this winter, Trex, too far Sarf and sub-tropical, even at the summit of our highest peak :lol:

Back