Improved battery warranty with capacity statement

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi, I am very seriously looking at buying a phev to replace my current car. I have read most of this forum to see what problems, if any, people are having. I am looking at getting a used phev with around 30000 miles. I am concerned about the battery and how long it would last so was pleased to see a 8 year 100000 miles guarantee available. But having read this link I am confused about if this guarantee covers pre update (Sep/Oct 2015). If earlier cars are covered the phev would be more in my price range.can someone please clear up my confusion. Thanks.

purgo said:
Hi, I am very seriously looking at buying a phev to replace my current car. I have read most of this forum to see what problems, if any, people are having. I am looking at getting a used phev with around 30000 miles. I am concerned about the battery and how long it would last so was pleased to see a 8 year 100000 miles guarantee available. But having read this link I am confused about if this guarantee covers pre update (Sep/Oct 2015). If earlier cars are covered the phev would be more in my price range.can someone please clear up my confusion. Thanks.

There has been some ambiguity on this topic. When Mitsubishi introduced the extended battery warranty in late 2015, some owners of older models contacted the sales team to ask if that extended back to the earlier models. Someone in Mitsubishi UK sent out a message which seemed to indicate that it did, but subsequent messages from them seemed to deny that. We have a late 2014 model and I'm strongly of the opinion that the battery condition warranty does not apply to it - though I would be very pleased to hear that I'm wrong! It also seems to vary between countries - don't assume that, just because anko has managed to get his battery replaced, you will also be able to.

Thanks for you replies. I have emailed Mitsubishi to try to get some clarity. I am planning on calling in on my local Mitsubishi garage thus week to see if they can give me any idea. They have a 65 pre-update for sale so it will be interesting to see what they say about the warranty on that. I'll let you know what they say.

purgo said:
Sorry forgot to ask how your batteries are performing being a few years old.

I have not noticed much difference after four and a half years and close to 56,000 miles - but I have never got anything like the headline figures out of it since the day it was delivered brand new. Initially, I got perhaps 22 miles EV range in the summer and around 16 miles in the winter. I have not paid too much attention to it recently, but I believe that it would achieve something similar under the same conditions.

You don't say where you're based, but the UK warranty is based on the first registration date of the car. Anything registered on or after 1/1/15 has the longer warranty; anything registered prior to that date has the shorter warranty. Ours was registered in January 2015, as I checked the date online for every 64-plate car advertised when we bought ours.

FWIW I drove our 50k example to Sheffield yesterday, and charged it in the car park: it showed a range of 24 miles when full.

I am based in the UK. I called into my local dealer this afternoon and asked them the question. Their response was the extra warrant is on the updated version. They have a 65 plate for sale, which is the original version, which we looked in the warranty booklet. It mentioned 5 years 60000 (ish miles, can't remember the exact figure) so not covered by the extra warranty. Could you tell/show me where you get the 1/1/15 date from please.

Sorry another question hopefully someone can answer.
Can you buy an extended warranty or get some insurance for the battery?

purgo said:
I am based in the UK. I called into my local dealer this afternoon and asked them the question. Their response was the extra warrant is on the updated version. They have a 65 plate for sale, which is the original version, which we looked in the warranty booklet. It mentioned 5 years 60000 (ish miles, can't remember the exact figure) so not covered by the extra warranty. Could you tell/show me where you get the 1/1/15 date from please.
IIRC, the improved 5 year/62,500 mile warranty applies to all PHEVs sold from 1/1/15 (improved over what was available before, that is). The 8 year/100,000 warranty for the traction battery applies only from 'MY16 onwards'. Not sure therefore precisely what MY16 means in this context....MY16 usually goes on sale Aug/Sept the year before, so a 65 reg 'should' be ok; but you should obviously double check with the dealer!

Back