Is it for me.

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willisthm

Hi. Stumbled across this forum doing my research on the Outlander.

Am currently driving a BMW 330d msport on a personal lease and my lease is up in November.

I have previously driven performance cars and SUV's( ix35 and Qashqais)

Am currently torn between the Hyundai Santa Fe and the Outlander PHEV.

Not sure whether the hybrid is for me. I travel 10k years per year and do approx. 25 miles per day on a mix of 30s, rural 60s, 50 and 70mph dual carriageways with a lot of start stop in the 30s.

I like the Hyundai from a styling point of view but the PHEV is more practical in terms of my daily use and economy.

Am toying between the GX3 and the GX4. The 4 looks better because of the toys.

The lease deals I have been quoted vary from 360-410 per month on a two year lease.

All comments/advice is appreciated, particularly if any members have seen good lease deals.

Thanks in advance.

Will.

Well, my driving pattern is less than yours with primarily weekend use.

I chose the 3h in the end as the 4h came in about £80-£100/month more on a 3 year lease. The leasing companies have factored the list price difference in to vanish in the 3 years which says a bit about the value of the "toys". The only thing I will miss is the electric heater and then I can't see the value of fuel saving versus running the engine for a few minutes to warm up in what passes for winter in the UK.

To make charging sense you will need a home charging point and for that you must have off street parking. While my Outlander is due tomorrow or Weds (yay!) my off street parking will not be done for about 2 months and then another month or so for the charge point. I will be trailing a lead (safely) across the pavement at weekends after driving but this is not practical for daily users I suspect.

My lease deal with Lex via Hummingbird is a "list price" 3+35 for £357/month inc VAT and the 3 year service and metallic paint options. I saw some deals a little better but Hummingbird are my local dealer and I wasn't going to faff around for £10-£20/month.

Cheers
Regarding the charging point, could I run the lead from my garage onto the car on the driveway, or do I need to have a new point installed at my home?

It's the 4h that's appealing purely down to the toys, however, I take your point about the the £80/£100 additional cost.

I have worked out that my monthly fuel charge including electric bill will be about £23/month as opposed to my current £135 diesel bill.

Am waiting for a number of lease companies to get back to me with quotes one of which it my local Mitsubishi dealer in Durham.

It's certainly very appealing.

Willisthm said:
Cheers
Regarding the charging point, could I run the lead from my garage onto the car on the driveway, or do I need to have a new point installed at my home?

It's the 4h that's appealing purely down to the toys, however, I take your point about the the £80/£100 additional cost.

I have worked out that my monthly fuel charge including electric bill will be about £23/month as opposed to my current £135 diesel bill.

Am waiting for a number of lease companies to get back to me with quotes one of which it my local Mitsubishi dealer in Durham.

Your figures may be a little optimistic - 25 miles EV range is achievable in the summer, but you will be lucky to get 20 in the winter. That said, it should still give you a decent saving on your current diesel bill.

maby said:
Willisthm said:
Cheers

Your figures may be a little optimistic - 25 miles EV range is achievable in the summer, but you will be lucky to get 20 in the winter. That said, it should still give you a decent saving on your current diesel bill.

But it depends where you live - a nice warm city like London gives me well over 20 miles EV in winter :mrgreen:

greendwarf said:
maby said:
Willisthm said:
Cheers

But it depends where you live - a nice warm city like London gives me well over 20 miles EV in winter :mrgreen:

I live just outside London and spent the whole winter on EV ranges around 16 miles. I'm now getting 22 to 24 miles.

I've had mine 2 months and just registered to answer this. I had 2 new Santa Fes before this. The Santa is a little more supple on the bumps, but not really much in it from a driving point of view. The Santa diesel engine is really good too. I can get a better driving position in the PHEV. I was torn between the two like you, but I think the PHEV is better value. It may take a bit of getting used to, but I love it now.

Get a free charging point and if you have Economy 7 you can get a full charge for 60p. 25 miles per charge is about 2.5p per mile which equates to about 200 mpg! You'll get somewhere between 30 and 40 mpg when the battery is flat which isn't too bad, its quite a heavy car.

Your mileage profile suits it well, although the motorway bits will eat your battery charge.

Mitsu say the point at which a diesel Outlander becomes more economical is about 100 miles per trip.

There are good and bad points in both vehicles, but I think I probably chose correctly. Either one should suit you.

westdevon said:
Mitsu say the point at which a diesel Outlander becomes more economical is about 100 miles per trip.
Interesting. I'd not heard that before. Thankfully I don't normally do many 100+ miles trips but when I do, I see my average mpg take a big hit (and unfortunately, as luck would have it, I've done nothing but long trips recently, a couple towing as well, which really hits the average).

I am currently sorting finance on a PHEV PCP deal with Applied leasing (been dealing with Luke Poolton-Jones who has been very good there so far).
Their costs for a GX3 24 months/15,000 miles and around £2400 initial payment is under £300/month so quite a bit lower - maybe the initial cost balances that out though.

I also hummed and hawed - was very close to going for an A4 Avant but, nice as that would be, the PHEV is a more sensible choice given my regular 35 mile commute round trip.

www.appliedleasing.co.uk

They've done their sums something like this:
The diesel is supposed to do about 49 to the gallon, so 100 miles is just over 2 gallons. Set out with a full charge and do 30 miles EV then about 2 gallons of petrol to do the rest. I think from memory the actual figure they quote is 105 miles. All these figures are possibly a bit optimistic but you can see the reasoning.

Personally I tend to consider my longer trips separately from the short ones. Yesterday I did a 125 mile round trip. I set out with a full charge and got 25 miles from that. I estimate roughly 36mpg on petrol plus 60p for electricity, two thirds of the distance at 70mph. That compares well with my previous Santa Fe.

My next 125 miles might take me up to a week to do and should cost me about £3. That works for me. I've got a Gx4 so no untoward heater starting the engine issues.

Thanks for all the replies guys.

Just had a personal lease quote through Blue Chilli cars for £395/ month on a 3+35 deal, 10k miles pa for a GX4h with metallic paint.

Have also been quoted for the Discovery Sport Diesel SW 2.0l TD4 HSE 5 dr for £392 on a 3+23 deal.

Got a few decisions to make before November.

Back