Is MCB installation included in OLEV charger install?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robbie

Hi,

Just got a survey to fit a rolec 32A charge point from a local installer for my newly delivered gx3h+. The guy said its a straight forward installation, which would be qualify for the £195 charge, but would need to charge an extra £25 for 50A mcb (mini circuit breaker) in the consumer unit as these aren't included in the OLEV grant.

Is this normal or is the installer just trying to get an extra bit of cash from me?

Thanks for any advice!

I think it's a grey area and one that some installers seek to exploit to uplift the amount they can charge. If you think about the £700 / 75% and the actual cost of parts and time then it is a little "taking the piss".

On the other hand as the EVSE *must* be on it's own circuit, the addition of an MCB is pretty much a requirement and so should be included. Only if the consumer unit needs changing would I consider extra charges fair.

Remember that these installers should be competing for your business, don't just let the first one who responds let you think they will all want that double bubble.

Also, see this document: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/434148/electric-vehicle-homecharge-scheme-guidance-for-manufacturers-and-installers-2015.pdf in particular part 1.14 and it's reference to standards.

Consumer targetted waffle also here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/electric-vehicle-homecharge-scheme-guidance-for-customers-2015

I've got an old style consumer unit with fuses changed to plug in MCBs - mine had 1 way not being used so I bought a plugin 32A MCB prior to installation which worked fine & cost me less than £10 at Screwfix. I did get caught for some extra earth bonding so that is worth cheking prior

When mine was installed everything was included in the cost, except my decision to upgrade to a 32amp unit for future proofing.

My understanding was that as long as there was a spare slot in your existing consumer unit then the installation was fully covered. If there was no spare slot and they had to install a mini consumer unit then this part was chargeable.

Thanks for the advice. Looks like I should look for another rolec installer.

Can anybody recommend one in the London/Essex area?

PeterGalbavy said:
On the other hand as the EVSE *must* be on it's own circuit, the addition of an MCB is pretty much a requirement and so should be included. Only if the consumer unit needs changing would I consider extra charges fair.

Why *must* it be on it's own circuit Peter?

Ours is not.

NAPpy

My Rolec 32A installation is tomorrow, I'll comment afterwards although we do have spare 'ways' on the consumer circuit board and the Rolec will be almost directly o the other side of the wall to it.

NAPpy said:
PeterGalbavy said:

Why *must* it be on it's own circuit Peter?

Ours is not.

When I say circuit, I mean breaker. Some regulations or another. I cannot find the quote right now. Will look if I can.

Personally I would recommend the unit being on a dedicated switch as the issue you have is if it fails it could easily trip the main switch and therefore shutting off power to all devices connected to that particular main. Additionally this could also happen if any device in the house tripped the main switch and therefore also cutting off power to the car.

As most people charge overnight, then this could occur and easily go unnoticed for quite a few hours. At least if it's dedicated you only have 1 half of the problem, i.e. no charge in the car, or no electric to devices on that particular mains in the house.

EV charging solutions did fit a ROLEC 32 amp charger for 195 pound all inclusive with its mini circuit breaker.
what a chunky cable it was to run from the circuit breaker to outside the house.

No extra costs

happy with it and they fitted another box which calculate the usage of electricity to charge the car. this box send info...do not know whom to, of my electricity usage as well. again all in the price

best wishes

Remember that this is not £195 (with or without VAT) but a 75% grant (capped at £700) *to you* plus the 25% of £195-ish. You should expect £900-odd of parts and labour. Or more. Mine was £700 grant + £299+VAT as I chose a more expensive option, knowingly.

Back