Is my Mitsubishi fitted tow bar legal?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Auzoloto

My PHEV was delivered with a Mitsubishi fitted tow bar.

However when my trailer is attached (all lights work) there is no audible indicator tell-tale (buzzer) in the car when the indicators are flashing. The tell-tale informs the driver that the trailer indicators are operating, if it does not sound it is a sign that the trailer indicator has failed. When The trailer is connected to my other car I hear the tell-tale.

I understand that this is a legal requirement. http://www.rightconnections.co.uk/rear-mounted-buzzer

If you have a Mitsubishi fitted tow bar, do you hear the indicator tell-tale?

Is the tell-tale a legal requirement?

Thanks in anticipation.

Are you saying that the standard indicator beep is disabled when the trailer is connected? Having looked at the instructions for installing the tow bar, I don't think any additional beeper is included with the kit.

maby said:
Are you saying that the standard indicator beep is disabled when the trailer is connected? Having looked at the instructions for installing the tow bar, I don't think any additional beeper is included with the kit.

The standard indicator still works, but I do not have the additional tell-tale beep when the trailer is attached.

The irony is that amongst all the beeping the PHEV does, it does not do one that is a legal requirement?

Auzoloto said:
maby said:

The standard indicator still works, but I do not have the additional tell-tale beep when the trailer is attached.

The irony is that amongst all the beeping the PHEV does, it does not do one that is a legal requirement?

Would of thought the bulb out error message would appear if a bulb is out on the trailer ?? Does on my bmw hence no bleeping

At least your towbar works mind fouled after using it twice I had to purchase another one
It should have a buzzer on it

An audible buzzer does NOT comply with UK law. It has never been a requirement.
You can have one fitted if you want one but you MUST have a visual indication on the dashboard to warn the driver if a trailer indicator lamp fails. ;)

I also have a towbar fitted by my Mitsubishi Dealer.
When I queried why there was no sound from the indicator board when activated I was informed that this was normal and that there would be an audible sound if the trailer board had failed :!:

Big John
3+
MY16
Orient Red
Fitted towbar and electric hoist
Named "Sparky"

Back