Is Outlander the only PHEV without EV button?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NAPpy said:
Guys, I have the solution..... Move to Australia where it is warmer. Wife drives 25km into work and 25km back without the ICE firing up once! :twisted:

Do you have a room free?

I am packing my stuff. :)

maby said:
Having worked closely with Transport for London on related projects, I doubt they will want to install the sophisticated emissions detection equipment required to verify that a petrol hybrid is not burning petrol. ....

There is no need for that.
Every Bobby on each side-walk or corner will hear your ICE running and will pull you out. ;)

PolishPilot said:

There is no need for that.
Every Bobby on each side-walk or corner will hear your ICE running and will pull you out. ;)

I doubt the police would have anything to do with it - it would be a civil offence, not a criminal one - and the police don't touch them.

anko said:
jdsx said:
.. make the ECO button tell the 'Air Conditioning' (Mitsubishi's designation - they really mean 'heating') not to use more than 4kW for heating when the Eco button is pressed ...
How do you know it is Heating they meen and not Air Conditioning? I think they meen Air Conditioning.
From memory, they label the yellow clock-like dial on the left of the energy monitor screen as 'Air Conditioning'. At this time of year, I very rarely have the 'air conditioning' switched on (the snowflake button), but I use the heater a lot :lol: , and I thought it was the heater which is consuming the power, not the 'air conditioning'. Maybe it's different in Holland :lol:

Heating is "conditioning the air" as well. So one point each :D

As the MMCS is full of Mitsulogic, the power display doesn't surprise me at all.

jdsx said:
anko said:
jdsx said:
.. make the ECO button tell the 'Air Conditioning' (Mitsubishi's designation - they really mean 'heating') not to use more than 4kW for heating when the Eco button is pressed ...
How do you know it is Heating they meen and not Air Conditioning? I think they meen Air Conditioning.
From memory, they label the yellow clock-like dial on the left of the energy monitor screen as 'Air Conditioning'. At this time of year, I very rarely have the 'air conditioning' switched on (the snowflake button), but I use the heater a lot :lol: , and I thought it was the heater which is consuming the power, not the 'air conditioning'. Maybe it's different in Holland :lol:
Think about it. You used the heater a lot but not the air conditioner. There is a button that is supposed to control power usage by the air conditioner. You don't see any effect from that button which perfectly makes sense, as you are not using the air conditioner.

But what you do is assign a different function to the button and then decide it is broken because it doesn't perform that different function. In the end you may or may not be right, but the way you get to this conclusion is at least interesting ;)

Note 1: the manual (at least the dutch manual) doesn't say "Reduced power consumption", it says "Reduced fuel consumption". In order to reduce fuel consumption, the electric heater would have to work harder. And I guess some of us want it to work even harder :p
Note 2: I think GX3h models have an ECO button as well, but not an electric heater.

anko said:
Think about it. You used the heater a lot but not the air conditioner. There is a button that is supposed to control power usage by the air conditioner. You don't see any effect from that button which perfectly makes sense, as you are not using the air conditioner.
But what you do is assign a different function to the button and then decide it is broken because it doesn't perform that different function. In the end you may or may not be right, but the way you get to this conclusion is at least interesting ;)
I'm not sure I understand you. There is an 'air conditioning' button (snowflake). So when I switch the air conditioning on, I would expect to see an energy dial marked 'air conditioning' to go up. If I don't have the air conditioning turned on, I would expect it to read zero (because the air conditioning is off). But this is not what happens - and this confused me at first - I had not realised that the power it is measuring is nothing to do with what I would call 'air conditioning', but what I would call 'heating'. So I still think Mitsubishi have labelled it wrong. But it's not a major issue (unlike the ICE starting when I don't need it to... :mrgreen: )

anko said:
Hang on .... Did
jdsx said:
(Mitsubishi's designation - they really mean 'heating')
refer to the description in the Manual or the label on the leftmost yellow energy meter? I thought you were referring to the manual.
Ah no, I meant the energy meter. Haven't read the manual yet :D Life is too short :lol:

jdsx said:
anko said:
Hang on .... Did
jdsx said:
(Mitsubishi's designation - they really mean 'heating')
refer to the description in the Manual or the label on the leftmost yellow energy meter? I thought you were referring to the manual.
Ah no, I meant the energy meter. Haven't read the manual yet :D Life is too short :lol:
:lol: :lol:

anko said:
[What if you live in a "no ICE zone"? Just a case of bad luck?

Of staying closer to your own argument: if your morning commute is into a "no ICE zone", your evening commute will very likely be on "out of that same no ICE zone". How do I get out of the zone, when your car decides to fire up the engine to save battery charge for later? As the car doesn't know what is best, we need a way of toiling it what's best.

If you live in a "no ICE zone" either you don't need a car or you buy an all EV.

The average car journey in the UK is 7 miles and the London Congestion Zone (due to become an Ultra Low Emission Zone) is a relatively small central area compared to the suburbs, where most people live. So lots of the PHEV target market would find a 15 miles EV range sufficient for round trips, even in the UK - never mind Japan.

greendwarf said:
If you live in a "no ICE zone" either you don't need a car or you buy an all EV......

I was considering an EV, but, as I mentioned before,
I do now and then a 500-800km a day business trip.
(And I don't have cash for Tesla.)

Do you suggest, I should buy two cars, when I would live in
"no ICE zone"? One EV to drive within the zone and then
another long range ICE, parked outside the limits of the zone,
which I would switch to in case of longer trip?
Two cars, two garages or parking fees, changing cars?
Don't you think, that it is exactly the situation a PHEV was developed for,
to cover such needs as a single car, provided it can rum also as "pure EV".

Most other PHEV do the trick, just not the Outlander.

As simple as that.

PolishPilot said:
greendwarf said:
If you live in a "no ICE zone" either you don't need a car or you buy an all EV......

I was considering an EV, but, as I mentioned before,
I do now and then a 500-800km a day business trip.
(And I don't have cash for Tesla.)

Do you suggest, I should buy two cars, when I would live in
"no ICE zone"? One EV to drive within the zone and then
another long range ICE, parked outside the limits of the zone,
which I would switch to in case of longer trip?
Two cars, two garages or parking fees, changing cars?
Don't you think, that it is exactly the situation a PHEV was developed for,
to cover such needs as a single car, provided it can rum also as "pure EV".

Most other PHEV do the trick, just not the Outlander.

As simple as that.

it is certainly a situation that the right PHEV can satisfy, but it clearly isn't a situation that this particular PHEV was developed for.

Still can't believe this post is still getting bashed. We DON'T have an ECO button, pure and simple, and Mitsubishi WON'T retrofit one for you.

Most of the discussions here are based on a hypothetical scenario, i.e. it will never occur.

All this is based on the idea that it is impossible to drive it in EV in cold weather. I drove mine in minus 18 the last couple of weeks and it behaved just like in summer - but I kept it in a heated garage at night...

jaapv said:
All this is based on the idea that it is impossible to drive it in EV in cold weather. I drove mine in minus 18 the last couple of weeks and it behaved just like in summer - but I kept it in a heated garage at night...

I think the question is whether or not you can guarantee EV operation? I don't go out of my way to do anything special in this weather and it runs EV a lot of the time, but there are certainly times when the petrol engine kicks in.

Ozukus said:
Still can't believe this post is still getting bashed. We DON'T have an ECO button, pure and simple, and Mitsubishi WON'T retrofit one for you.
How do you know that?
Maybe they are already working hard on it?
The Eco button could have just double function:
- press once, present Eco mode
- press twice Eco+ = pure EV mode

This is just software update, no hardware change, pure and simple.

Most of the discussions here are based on a hypothetical scenario, i.e. it will never occur.

This is no hypothetical scenario, I am burning 1.0-1.4l petrol every day on my 10km trip
with a car with tiny 35l useful tank, that was supposed to burn 0.0l on such distance.

I have all the right to be upset.

Ozukus said:

For you, driving a GX3h, it most certainly is hypothetical, as it will be impossible to retrofit an EV mode to a GX3h model. But who are you to decide what Mitsubishi will and will not do? Since you have no interest in this feature whatsoever, why not allow the people that do to bash this post as much as they want? :roll:

anko said:
Ozukus said:

For you, driving a GX3h, it most certainly is hypothetical, as it will be impossible to retrofit an EV mode to a GX3h model. But who are you to decide what Mitsubishi will and will not do? Since you have no interest in this feature whatsoever, why not allow the people that do to bash this post as much as they want? :roll:

If Mitsubishi were able to retrofit a mechanical switch (which is what this post is about, i.e. the EV Button) then there is absolutely no reason why it couldn't apply to a GX3 as there are situations which make the GX3 engage its ICE besides heating, just like the GX4.

I just don't believe that there will be an option on any of the existing Mark 1 PHEV Models to accommodate this and may be a standard or optional on Mark 2 PHEVs when they become available.

There are things about a GX3 that are annoying, however I purchased the vehicle "As Is" knowing what it could and couldn't do and therefore don't feel the need to go on complaining about what I haven't got.

greendwarf said:
anko said:
[What if you live in a "no ICE zone"? Just a case of bad luck?

Of staying closer to your own argument: if your morning commute is into a "no ICE zone", your evening commute will very likely be on "out of that same no ICE zone". How do I get out of the zone, when your car decides to fire up the engine to save battery charge for later? As the car doesn't know what is best, we need a way of toiling it what's best.

If you live in a "no ICE zone" either you don't need a car or you buy an all EV.

The average car journey in the UK is 7 miles and the London Congestion Zone (due to become an Ultra Low Emission Zone) is a relatively small central area compared to the suburbs, where most people live. So lots of the PHEV target market would find a 15 miles EV range sufficient for round trips, even in the UK - never mind Japan.
And the PHEV does provide 15 miles of EV range. So, it is almost a perfect fit. But driving home in the evening you cannot use the heater. An EV only mode would allow you to do also that, making it a perfect fit.

Why is it so hard to admit just once than an EV only mode would provide serious added value, maybe not to you, but to many others? Or do you really not see that? To be honest, I don't buy it.

Back