Is the 'S' bit worth it?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichardM

Is it worth having the S? 4hs as apposed to 4h or the 5hs instead of the 5h?

The lane changing thing is pointless (I always switch it off) and although the adaptive cruise sounds nice I'm put off by stories of near continuous bings and bongs. Why do you need front and rear sensors if you have cameras?

What do you think? Thanks.

Personally I thought that the 's' was all things that I'd get annoyed by and went for the 'h' instead... I have not regretted my decision for a second.

My test drive was in a MY2015 GX4hs and tried the additional features. When i came to order I opted for the MY 2016 GX4h as I did not think I would use the additional features. The LDW I switched off every time due to the bings going off, on the Jag XE it just gave a gentle vibration alert via the steeringwheel and a picture between the dials.
Tend to find that I use speed limiter more than cruise control as in traffic and with averaging speed cameras you can just slow down and then speed up again without having to switch CC on and off. You can also use B0 etc when with CC it is set at B2.

I agree with Fecn and Dusz, but in the end it must be a matter of personal preference and what you consider value for money.

A few words for the defence!

I bought a new 4HS last July. When I insured it (Direct Line) I noticed that the premium was less than for a 4H.

Perhaps insurers like the 'S' advantages.

Here is a positive for the 4hs - I have had my MY2016 since the end of March and have covered 13000 very pleasing miles.
I love the Adaptive Cruise Control and would look for it on my next car. I think it is so much safer than CC especially in the UK where Motorway traffic speeds up and slows down for no apparent reason sometimes!
During a holiday in Europe I covered about 1800 miles and I would say that over 1000 miles were on ACC. Making the trip very relaxing and stress free as it is very easy to change the speed so no problem of pace creeping up through lower speed limits.
Beeps wise it lets you know when it is not sensing a vehicle in front. But you soon get used to it and it doesn't bother me at all now, it is just a part of the road conditions awareness needed for driving.

As for LDW, whilst it can be oversensitive on narrow country lanes and if the camber is a bit up and down, but as Jaapv has said previously, it does make you more aware of your road positioning. Sometimes on narrow lanes I will turn it off if the lane markings and the width of the car are very close, but it is always left on driving main roads and motorways as it does encourage you to signal for any manoeuvre and not become complacent about your road positioning.

The sensors are a great addition to the cameras because if you are manoeuvring, the rear camera comes on automatically but you are unlikely to switch the front camera on each time but the sensors are always active. Another good point about having both is after driving on dirty roads the cameras can be less clear and you may miss that post that may be there so a bit of belt and braces scenario.

If you are still undecided perhaps the fact that the extra Safety Features added to the HS makes it a lower insurance class than the H model. so while safety features will cost more, the Insurance premium will be a bit less.

Hope the above is helpful, if you require any more info. just ask.

Good Luck M

The 5 wasn't available when I ordered so got the 4HS.

Being much larger than what I was used to, and what my better half was used to, the cameras have been invaluable in parking and normal driving.

The bings and bongs are irritating, over the last few days I've stuck with the ACC on the motorway and speed limiter on 30mph roads.

The lane changing thing, well I actually like it ... it rarely goes off unless there is a reason.

You pays ya money and makes ya choices :)

hornet said:
I bought a new 4HS last July. When I insured it (Direct Line) I noticed that the premium was less than for a 4H.

Perhaps insurers like the 'S' advantages.

The same radar that provides ACC (Adaptive Cruise) also provides FCM (Forward Collision Mitigation).
FCM makes it very hard to crash into the car in front as it takes over braking if the stage 1 warning is ignored. Agreed it occasionally false triggers a warning when a car is making a left turn into a side road in front of you, however apart from that its pretty good.
I've always thought FCM should decrease insurance premiums, and it looks like it does.

I had Autonomous Emergency Braking on my last LR for 9 months and never saw any sign it would work - there are many posts on LR forums claiming exactly the same - yet another reason I opted for the 4h :?

Mac said:
As for LDW, whilst it can be oversensitive on narrow country lanes and if the camber is a bit up and down, but as Jaapv has said previously, it does make you more aware of your road positioning. Sometimes on narrow lanes I will turn it off if the lane markings and the width of the car are very close, but it is always left on driving main roads and motorways as it does encourage you to signal for any manoeuvre and not become complacent about your road positioning.

I remember going on an advanced driver course many years ago, where on twisty lanes the recommendation was NOT to stay in lane but use the whole width of the road to maximise vision. Of course that doesn't apply on A-roads, but the point I'm making is that on country roads, lane discipline is moot - perhaps even a bad thing.

I went for the 4h and love it. Especially the 360 Camera, which I use for parking ALL the time. Pity the sat nav is so appallingly old fashioned and clunky.

I would have loved ACC but not for the extra cost.

Back