Issues Playing Music on iPhone 6 via USB Connection

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

horleystu

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this forum and only had my new PHEV Gx4h for 2 days (it's the latest 2016 facelift model).

I am using a new iPhone 6 with iOS 9.2 (13C75) latest software and plugging into the USB port in the centre arm rest section.

When the iPhone connects I get the iPOD connection message and things look ok, however it does NOT recognise any of my Artists, Playlists, Songs on the iPhone from iTunes on the MMCS display.

I have turned off Wifi, and I even tried it with Airplane mode switched on (i.e. No Wifi, Bluetooth, Cellular) and the problem still exists.

Now the interesting part, I have an old iPhone 5 with the same level of iOS 9.2 (13C75) and that works fine.

Anyone else have this issue? any known fixes please?

Regards

Stuart

Creating an SD card with my iTunes music, how does one do that? anyone got instructions for this please?

horleystu said:
Creating an SD card with my iTunes music, how does one do that? anyone got instructions for this please?

I did wonder about that and I'm not sure there is a good answer. I'm not an iTunes user but my wife is and the one time I did try to get music out of her device in any generic format, I failed dismally...

horleystu said:

It's in the book for the MMCS, and explains the directory structure. All the album names and track names come up on the screen. It saves all the fiddling around with your phone when you get in the car.

Can you download your music to a folder on the desktop on your computer? Structure the files in the folder as in Neverfuel's post. Use a card reader (about 5 Euro or so) and insert the (don't buy an expensive huge one!) SD card. Drag and drop the folder onto your card. Eject the card correctly.

Neverfuel said:
horleystu said:

It's in the book for the MMCS, and explains the directory structure. All the album names and track names come up on the screen. It saves all the fiddling around with your phone when you get in the car.

Thank you Neverfuel. I have managed to copy 4 tracks from separate albums in iTunes to a USB stick to try this out. The time it takes MMCS to read in the information i.e. songs, albums etc takes ages! this is not a usable solution and this is only 4 x tracks.

Also, still does not explain why an old iphone5 works and a new iphone6 does NOT when they both have the same iOS on them.

horleystu said:
Neverfuel said:
horleystu said:

Thank you Neverfuel. I have managed to copy 4 tracks from separate albums in iTunes to a USB stick to try this out. The time it takes MMCS to read in the information i.e. songs, albums etc takes ages! this is not a usable solution and this is only 4 x tracks.

Also, still does not explain why an old iphone5 works and a new iphone6 does NOT when they both have the same iOS on them.

Don't use a USB, try an SD card, it is instant and I have thousands of songs on mine. The SD card goes into the slot next to the maps card behind the MMCS card.

Neverfuel said:

Don't use a USB, try an SD card, it is instant and I have thousands of songs on mine. The SD card goes into the slot next to the maps card behind the MMCS card.

I'll second that - SD card handling is pretty good.

Hi Everyone,

Just to give you all an update, I have given up on the USB port and iPhones/USB sticks and gone with SD.

I have managed to copy all my iTunes library (18Gb and 3,200 tracks) to 32Gb SDHC memory card. HOWEVER!!!

As I learnt the hard way, you have to create folders on the SD card. I didn't do this first time and just copied over all songs into the ROOT directory, unfortunately the MMCS could not read them all and was at random skipping tracks too!

So I created a folder per Albium and it appears to be ok. The Playlist took only about 5 mins to read in all of my content and then presented me with the "Music Menu" option. From here, you can select Artists, Songs or Albium's as you would expect.

So after 2 days of testing without any errors and my iphone6 bluetooth connected at the same time, all appears to be OK!

So in summary, GO WITH SD !!!!

Two questions :

1) Is there a limit to the size of SD card that can be used or the number of tracks/folders that can be put on here?

and

2) Is the bluetooth audio (from an iPhone) link with the MMCS decent?

I have a Lexus at moment (get PHEV end Feb) and usually stream music, either via Apple Music or Spotify, via Bluetooth with pretty much zero issues and this would be my preferred method (streaming like this seemed fine in the demo Outlander GX3h I had), with perhaps a bunch of stuff thrown on an SD card as well.

Barnfather said:
Two questions :

1) Is there a limit to the size of SD card that can be used or the number of tracks/folders that can be put on here?

and

I have a Lexus at moment (get PHEV end Feb) and usually stream music, either via Apple Music or Spotify, via Bluetooth with pretty much zero issues and this would be my preferred method (streaming like this seemed fine in the demo Outlander GX3h I had), with perhaps a bunch of stuff thrown on an SD card as well.

Barnfather,

I do not know the answer to your first question but I do remember someone suggesting a max of 255 folders, but I maybe wrong and a max of 32GB for the SD Card too.

As for your second question around bluetooth audio, my iphone6 was playing perfectly via BT Audio BUT!!! you have to turn OFF WIFI otherwise your phone connects to the internal SSID normally used for the Mitsubishi App. I had weird lost connections problems and sometimes people could not hear me etc...once I turned off WIFI no problems at all with BT and BT Audio.

Barnfather said:
Two questions :

I use Bluetooth streaming with my iPhone 6 to the phev exclusively. Much more reliable than the sub connection for me. I've got the pre-facelift outlander.

Ive been listening to music on my iPhone 6s via Bluetooth. Had no problems and haven't had to disable wifi :)
2016 PHEV

Back