Lack of Type 1 Tethered Charge Stations

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ozukus

I understand you can buy a cable, however considering that the bulk of vehicles purchased in the UK have a Type 1 connector, why are most of the tethered charge stations fitted with a type 2 adaptor.

I do use a rapid charger at motorways services 1-2 times a week, however all of the charge stations that I've seen in shopping centres etc, with tethered cables, all have type 2 connectors.

I would say at least 80-90% of all EVs sold have a Type 1 connector (Leaf and PHEV being the bulk of vehicles sold), so can't see why on earth there is such a prevalence of Type 2 charge stations.

I thought that the majority of non-rapid public charging stations were untethered - isn't that the case?

maby said:
I thought that the majority of non-rapid public charging stations were untethered - isn't that the case?

That may well be the case, however the 3 charge stations that I would like to use all have Type 2 tethered cables, and for the limited benefit I would get from using them wouldn't cover the cost of the cable purchase.

Just seems odd to me that most of the tethered units I do see are Type 2, considering the comparison between Type 1 and Type 2 vehicle sales.

Ozukus said:
maby said:

That may well be the case, however the 3 charge stations that I would like to use all have Type 2 tethered cables, and for the limited benefit I would get from using them wouldn't cover the cost of the cable purchase.

Just seems odd to me that most of the tethered units I do see are Type 2, considering the comparison between Type 1 and Type 2 vehicle sales.

I guess they were installed before the Leaf and PHEV were launched and the owners made a guess as to which connector was going to be most common. I don't think there has been much investment in the public charging infrastructure in the last few years, so it may be lagging behind trends in car design.

maby said:
Ozukus said:
maby said:

I guess they were installed before the Leaf and PHEV were launched and the owners made a guess as to which connector was going to be most common. I don't think there has been much investment in the public charging infrastructure in the last few years, so it may be lagging behind trends in car design.

Interestingly enough one of the charge stations I had been using, that was just a 3 pin adaptor, was upgraded last week to Type 2 tethered.

Depends where you are I guess. In London Bolore are replacing many of the older Source London on-street points with ones that have a Type 1 / J1772 tether and a Type 2 socket. The one nearest my work is not quite operational yet.

Ozukus said:

Interestingly enough one of the charge stations I had been using, that was just a 3 pin adaptor, was upgraded last week to Type 2 tethered.

According to Wikipedia:

"The Type 2 connector system was originally proposed by Mennekes in 2009 leading the colloquial name of "Mennekes". The system was later tested and standardised by the German Association of the Automotive Industry (VDA) as VDE-AR-E 2623-2-2, and subsequently recommended by the European Automobile Manufacturers Association (ACEA) in 2011. As of 2014 Type 2 is intended to replace all previous vehicle connectors within the European electric vehicle network, displacing SAE J1772, EV Plug Alliance Types 3A/3B, and Type 4 CHAdeMO. The transition period is scheduled to last until 2019."

Neverfuel said:
I don't think they can replace CHAdeMO with the other type of connectors as it is DC and the others are AC aren't they?

I don't think that DC vs. AC makes any difference - the deciding factor is more likely to be current carrying capability - CHAdeMO runs at 70A or more.

Back