Leaving the car Idle while in "ready" Mode

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mudmuncher

Hi everyone, another one from Australia here. Had my PHEV for a few months now and loving the different things I can do with this car over a normal ICE.

I have finally figured out how to lock the car while it is ready mode. I plan to this so I can get 14v from the traction battery to the cigarette plugs to power a small 12v fridge and lights while camping.

Is there any reason why leaving the car on "ready" (in park hand brake on) for 48 hours would be bad for the electronics of the car? I used to remember leaving a cars ignition on can cause fuel pumps issues as they are primed all the time.

Can't help with your question, but am interested in how you lock it in ready mode? We'd like to do this for 5 or 10 minutes to leave the AC on if we pop into a shop and leave the dogs for a short while!

It's a bit of a procedure!

Jump in the car with all the doors closed. Press lock all doors on the switch near the window controls. Separate the key from the key fob. Leave the proximity fob in the car and unlock the drivers door from near the handle and hope out. Then lock the drivers door with the key. The doors will unable to be unlocked as the fob is in the car.

Put a sign on your car to say the AC is left on for the dogs, so nobody smashes your window to save them!

interesting about the locks, but how long does the fridge run on the normal 12 volt accessary battery thats in the boot?
I couldnt imagine leaving the car in ready mode would be an issue with fuel pumps, as driving for weeks or more in EV mode only, and never starting the ICE doesnt seam to be an issue with some owners.

oh, and Gday, from Syd.

In Ready mode, the aux battery is constantly recharged from the drive battery. So, as long as you make sure you start with a full drive battery, you have about 8 kWh to spend ....

anko said:
In Ready mode, the aux battery is constantly recharged from the drive battery. So, as long as you make sure you start with a full drive battery, you have about 8 kWh to spend ....

When the drive battery goes flat, it will start the engine, so you can have a lot more than 8kWh to spend, But do make sure that you only do it in a well ventilated place - it is hard to predict exactly when the engine will be fired up and leaving it running for long periods in an underground car park could be unpopular, if not really dangerous.

The fridge would probably be fine for running for half a day or so in the boot, but it will shorten it's life and there is a risk that it could fail early making the car unable to turn on without a jump.

I only plan to run no more then the max 120w out of the plugs. So with a 40w fridge (when on) 30w of LEDs a few phone chargers ect over a 2 night weekend I wouldn't even be pulling a total of 1.5kw out of the traction battery.

To be honest the PHEV would make a great car to drive up to an off grid weekend. Have a small battery up there acting as a large "surge" battery and you could charge it at 10amps over a 48 hour weekend using the car. would be more then enough to run pretty much everything except heating and cooling.

TimH said:
Can't help with your question, but am interested in how you lock it in ready mode? We'd like to do this for 5 or 10 minutes to leave the AC on if we pop into a shop and leave the dogs for a short while!
Set your AC going using the timer. It's a really clever feature of the car :)

Wobblydeb said:
TimH said:
Set your AC going using the timer. It's a really clever feature of the car :)

I have so struggled with the manual!! Is that set from the MMCS? Or only the phone app as I've not bothered to set that up :oops:

You can set it with the timer, but it is just as simple to use the app as you can pick the time you want it to start easily that way.

jaapv said:
You can set it with the timer
I braved the manual yesterday and can see how to set up the timers - but there doesn't seem to be a "run now for 'x' minutes/hours" option; so I guess for a once off I'd have to set a timed event for "now" and then delete it later?

Or does the app have an "A/C now" option? If so, I'll get it installed and coded in etc.

Back