Leaving the PHEV idle for 2 weeks -?problem

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
elm70 said:
ps44 said:
Patsparks said:
...so less chage is taken off the main battery when doing an auto battery charge at 2pm each day.
Interesting. Didn't know about this.
Is this how the battery is kept topped up if the ICE is rarely run ?

As far as I know 12v battery get charged on our PHEV in these situations:
Every day at 2pm (but I guess this is valid only if WiFi module is active)

Why does the WiFi module being active have anything to do with the daily charge process ?

geoffshep69 said:
Why does the WiFi module being active have anything to do with the daily charge process ?

WiFi active does cause to consume more current from the 12v battery while the car is in stand by / off, that's why it cause an additional charge daily

elm70 said:
WiFi active does cause to consume more current from the 12v battery while the car is in stand by / off
Max broadcast power for WiFi is ~100mW. Obviously it will draw a bit more than that from the battery, but it's still pretty marginal.

ChrisMiller said:
elm70 said:
WiFi active does cause to consume more current from the 12v battery while the car is in stand by / off
Max broadcast power for WiFi is ~100mW. Obviously it will draw a bit more than that from the battery, but it's still pretty marginal.

Broadcast a signal, without a "Server" ready to handle the WiFi request does bring any use

I don't think the Mitsubishi engineer did study hard on optimize the power consumption when WiFi and remote access services.
Still 100mW is not feasible ... at least is needed 1w power for an advanced solution .. while a simple solution is possibly in the 5 to 10W consumption range (12x40Ah .. is only 480Wh .. so battery may get fully consumed in 2 to 4 days due to the WiFi module (EV remote ECU)

Anyhow .. this is what described by the technical manual of the PHEV:

NOTE:
1) Once a device has been connected wirelessly to the vehicle, the
onboard DC/DC converter will automatically charge the auxiliary
battery at 2.00pm every day. This is to replenish the power consumed
by the EV remote ECU.

2) If the power switch status has been set to “READY” or charging of the
main battery has occurred within the 6 hour period of 7:59 a.m. — 2:00
p.m., the daily charge (at 2:00 p.m.) will be cancelled.
3) If the vehicle is not driven, charged or had the power switch set to
READY for a period of 10 minutes or more within a 36 hour period, the
EV remote ECU will turn off the Wireless LAN signal.
4) During the charging period of the auxiliary battery by the DCIDC
convertor, a buzzer inside the vehicle will sound. (It is similar to the
security alarm armed mode sound)

ps44 said:
I was going to pose a similar question - but for 7 weeks, and it will be left at home.

Already left it parked at airport for 3 weeks with about 20% charge shown after a bit of last minute charging on the M25 as described - no problems on return and no noticeable drop in charge level.

I assume 7 weeks will be similar, and I can leave it fully charged on the drive so I'm sure it'll take care of itself.
Any other advice on a 7 week park up ?

Hi all,
Just to let you all know I was parked at LHR T5 from 1-Mar to 14-May. (75 days)
Was very worried the car would not start, however all was fine.
I did press the “Charge” button almost immediately just in case.
When I left the car the battery was one bar below max and a full tank of fuel when I got back the battery was down to one bar, fuel was the same.
I had wondered if the PHEV would run the engine over that period of time as I understand the car will fire up ICE automatically from time to time. Has anyone had that experience?

Thanks for the info Billa ...

So 75days .. in your case did consume around 8 or 9kwh from the main battery ... so 113wh a day ...

113wh a day ... considering as waste from the main 12v battery .. is looking around 0.4A of current waste .. quite a lot ... but better then a Tesla

Anyhow ... nope .. I don't think under any country law it could be allowed that a car can start the ICE without a human supervision ... think like leave a car in a underground parking place or inside a container ... it will be extremely dangerous is the car can start on its own the engine.

What happen in the PHEV is following:

12V battery get every day top up from the main 300v / 12kwh battery
In case the main 300v battery go below x % of SOC (I assume around 25%) ... then this 12v battery procedure is interrupted

If 12v battery left alone without a daily top up .. at some point it will go flat .. like every normal car left unattended for too long time

The main 300v battery since is not Lead Acid .. and since does no have any source of consumption (unless 12v battery open a switch) ... should last for years if unused without any significant different on the SOC

Worst thing that can happen on leaving "alone" for long time the PHEV is that the 12v battery can go flat and may need to be replaced

Billa .. you did very good to leave the main battery at the highest SOC level .. even if this 75 days of unattended at relative high SOC could have "de gradate" the internal resistance of the main battery

So ideally for long storage is better to leave the car with low SOC .. and with an external 12v charger, or with the 12v battery disconnected

elm70 said:
What happen in the PHEV is following:

12V battery get every day top up from the main 300v / 12kwh battery
In case the main 300v battery go below x % of SOC (I assume around 25%) ... then this 12v battery procedure is interrupted

So ideally for long storage is better to leave the car with low SOC .. and with an external 12v charger, or with the 12v battery disconnected

Correction:

This is only true for the models with the wi-fi interface, the "poverty pack" does not charge the 12V battery at regular intervals.
Also, it is not a good idea to leave the 12V battery disconnected for a long time, as the Battery Management System memory depends on it (this is stated in the technical info).

I left my PHEV fully charged and then went on a 120 day cruise from January to May (so it suffered UK weather). When I returned the main battery was at or near zero. When I hit the starter, it started first time. Impressed, considering the internal alarm was on the whole time (I forgot to disable it).

Jeff

It is bit concerning the rate the main battery even seems to get used up according to some of the comments here, I had no idea, I have left mine a couple of weeks before and come back to it being the same as I left it so not really thought about it. Clearly not a massive issue though.

In the summer we have to travel from Birmingham to Manchester airport for holidays, won't be taking the PHEV though, we will take our other car. Purely because it has a spare and the PHEV doesn't, it would be too much hassle to deal with on that day if we got a puncture.

Back