Limited build capacity

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rgilyead

Had an interesting chat with a salesman at my local Mitsu garage yesterday. He was saying that lead times for PHEVs are going up because there is only one production facility in Japan that can produce them. He seemed quite worried that the US launch next year would make this an even bigger problem for sales in Europe.

My dealer seemed to think they had additional production now in Thailand. I have no idea if this is true or not - car dealers are notorious for saying anything they think will get the customer more pliant.

Well it would make sense for them to expand production before a major launch - especially considering how successful it has been so far. If they are ramping up capacity it would seem odd that they haven't reassured their sales teams that they can keep up with demand.

rgilyead said:
Had an interesting chat with a salesman at my local Mitsu garage yesterday. He was saying that lead times for PHEVs are going up because there is only one production facility in Japan that can produce them. He seemed quite worried that the US launch next year would make this an even bigger problem for sales in Europe.

I would tend to agree with your garage...
As Elon Musk says over and over, a car may have several thousand components, they can't deliver if even a single component is missing.

Mitsubishi is on a ramp with PHEV production capacity, but production cannot exceed the limit of ANY supplier for PHEV components. Ie Its constrained by the weakest link, not the strongest link.

Back