Long Road Trip planned

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for all of the replies - I pick the car-up on Friday, this week is going so slowly...

I have thought of a couple more questions please:

1) Charge Mode:
Can I assume when Charge is selected, that by default it will also be in Save Mode ? (i.e. it will not "use" electrical charge for propulsion when you are charging).

2). Save Mode:
When in Save Mode, is it possible to use the Paddles when lifting off in order to regain extra charge in the drive Batteries ?

3) "Engine" Battery:
If you operate the Outlander using electric drive only for an extended period and the Petrol engine rarely operates, how does the traditional "Engine" Battery maintain its charge for operating the starter motor etc, assuming of course that there IS a separate "Engine" Battery. (I haven't seen under the bonnet yet).

Thanks again for all of your replies - I'll update my first experiences of the Car after the weekend and after the "long road trip" in May.

1) Charge Mode:
Can I assume when Charge is selected, that by default it will also be in Save Mode ? (i.e. it will not "use" electrical charge for propulsion when you are charging).
When in Charge mode, the engine will run all the time (almost) but it will still send electrical power to the motors when you need the power (to accelerate up a steep hill for example). When this happens, sometimes the power goes mechanically to the front wheels, electrically to the rear wheels and it could be that at times there is no spare power to run the generator. This is sporadic, but does happen. Save mode does the same thing...
2). Save Mode:
When in Save Mode, is it possible to use the Paddles when lifting off in order to regain extra charge in the drive Batteries ?
In save mode, you can use the paddles as you do normally. If you are going down a steep hill, you can change up as high as you can without slowing down. It's just with cruise control that doesn't allow you to change the regen levels.
3) "Engine" Battery:
If you operate the Outlander using electric drive only for an extended period and the Petrol engine rarely operates, how does the traditional "Engine" Battery maintain its charge for operating the starter motor etc, assuming of course that there IS a separate "Engine" Battery. (I haven't seen under the bonnet yet).
There is a separate 12v battery (it's in the back, not under the bonnet) to run the starter motor and other various ancillary electronics. This battery is charged from the drive battery on a regular basis (I think at 2am if I'm not wrong). If you let the 12v battery go flat, then you cannot start the car. You can jump start the car (though special points under the bonnet - in the fuse box), however you cannot jump start anyone else from the 12v battery (as indicated in the manual).

I hope this helps...

Fazer321 said:
Thanks for all of the replies - I pick the car-up on Friday, this week is going so slowly...

I have thought of a couple more questions please:

1) Charge Mode:

2). Save Mode:

3) "Engine" Battery:

Thanks again for all of your replies - I'll update my first experiences of the Car after the weekend and after the "long road trip" in May.

1. Charge mode and save mode are two sides of the same coin (as is running at minimum battery level) The main difference is that the car will (attempt to) keep the state of charge at different levels.
2. Of course. The extra gain is not as large as sometimes is suggested. The main use of the paddles is to control the amount of braking effect on the overrun.
3.There is no starter motor. The ICE starts by reversing the power flow to the generator. There is a small 12V battery in the back that serves to operate some 12 V circuits and boot the computers on startup. It gets topped up from the main drive batteries. It is impossible to flatten the main battery with petrol in the tank. Flattening the 12V battery by misuse will brick the car through failure to boot up.

Hi All,

As promised, here is my brief rundown of my first week with "the beast".

Collected my car from Holdcroft Mitsubishi, Stoke - The standard option is to have the vehicle delivered by transporter but I prefer to collect and give it a good run back to Derbyshire !

The handover went well and the Engineer clearly knew the PHEV and was able to explain all the relevant features.

Had a steady run back and thought I would challenge myself by calling in at a drive through McDonald's for a Tea - As you know, the drive through can be extremely "tight" especially when you consider this is my first 4x4 style vehicle - I am happy to report no problems !

Although the Car was prepared to Mitsubishi standards, (which were excellent and spotless), it wasn't prepared to my standards - so had to give it a wash and wax and become familiar with the design features. (How sad is this - it's a leased company car....)

I find the ride quite hard on rough or cut-up A and B Roads, however first long business trip yesterday to Morecambe, Lancashire - 280 odd mile round trip and I am delighted with the Motorway cruising - very comfortable and stable.

It was a great, sunny day and I find with the Sunroof cracked open it draws in sufficient hot or cold air from the heater without using the blower which saves on the electric range.

I have become used to the size and driving position amazingly quickly and now don't give a thought about squeezing between parked cars etc. - I find the Parking Camera very useful, although all the lenses have been clean at this time of year....

On the return trip I stopped at Lancaster services for the loo and a drink - I was some what intimidated by the charging facility, so elected to park in a standard bay and have a walk-past. What luck - both spaces were empty, so after buying a drink I moved my car to the Charger and just followed the instructions on the Screen - I am pleased to confirm this went without any issues and I left the Services 25 Electric Miles, the richer !

Overall economy for the trip was 38.6 MPG which I understand is about right for this type of journey - I was hoping to get above 40MPG. as I drove relatively steadily with the Cruise set at 70 and gentle acceleration most of the time. (My previous Mazda 6 would have done a minimum of 55 MPG on the same trip).

Economy aside, (which I expected), I am very pleased with the PHEV.

I'll update again after the long road trip.

Cheers all.

Back