Long Time Reader - First Time posting - Random Ramblings

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

All,

Been reading these forums with great interest over the last 12 months and decided to post some ramblings here on my experiences with the Outlander PHEV, particularly towing a caravan.

General Ramblings
1. Yeah, it definitely beeps a lot!
2. I went for the 4hs and most of the 4hs features I turn off! (such as the LDW).
3. It annoys me that there is no 3 digit MPG display (although did anyone else spot the hilarious "feature" for the 2016 models which now include 3 digit display!) - I think they need to release a software revision to fix this for current owners.
4. I have recently purchased the Hatchbag boot liner for the Outlander. I will post separately about the success of this once I fit it. It was massively expensive and it had better be worth it.
5. I have experienced the turlte crawl and screaming engine once so far - this was going up a steep hill with a caravan, but failing to drive fast into the hill for that initial momentum, this caused the car to crawl almost straight away. It made it up the hill fine, but seemed to take forever and I was constantly worried it would start to roll back. The next time I went up the hill, I had a lot more initial momentum heading onto the hill and it was fine. I think the hill was 12%-18% gradient.
6. Before arriving on any caravan site, I ensure there is sufficient charge to cruise silently and avoid the whining!
7. I bought the http://www.besen-group.com/type1-to-type2-32a-ev-charging-cable-j1772-to-iec-62196-2_p30.html that was recommended on this forum. I got the free bag as well! Excellent customer service, arrived in a timely manner, have used it once, no issues. In total, cost just over £100 (I think £30-£40 of that was delivery). But overall, cheaper than buying in the UK
8. I wish Tesla did a SUV with 300 mile range! I love the Outlander, but 300 mile range - that suits me better! or maybe an Outlander with 300 mile range - perfect!
9. The single greatest feature for me is the pre-heat! Everything else comes 2nd to this one feature! - We take the dogs out at 0530 every morning and its lovely to get into a car without frost on the windscreen and the car at a comfortable temperature.
10. We don't have a drive and its street parking only, so the ability to park outside the house and charge is few and far between. However, when we do charge outside, I use a weatherproof cable reel (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Masterplug-HLP2013-2IP-Outdoor-Weatherproof/dp/B004R255VQ/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1451471675&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=wetaher+proof+cable+reel) and thread the cable through a 5m length trunking (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cable-Core-Cable-Protector-Hazard-Yellow/dp/B004DPDI48/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1451471717&sr=8-5&keywords=cable+floor+trunking) - threading it through this was a nightmare - had to make several incisions along the way to feed it through. The trunking was necessary as the cable would be laid across a public foot path, so to avoid a law suit, I put it through this trunking (also note bright yellow strips). I also contacted the council to let them know I was doing this. Although I never heard from them, I consider my liability removed as I have done all I can to ensure safety. I thread the cable through the alloys and use a lockable chain to secure them.
11. Some cheeky git has unplugged me in the evening. Whilst annoying, it has only happened once so far.
12. I would love the charging unit for outside, but don't qualify for it as I do not have off street parking.
13. Recently installed and external socket (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007OH1PII?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00) - note the lockable casing. This was better than crushing the cabling in the front door (cable would not fit through letterbox)
14. I have asked our council for a dedicated space outside the house and used the "Council should show support for EV drivers and Environment" line - no response - will try again in the new year :)

Reason for Purchase - Towing
So onto the main point of this post. Towing a Caravan.

This was the reason we bought the Outlander PHEV. Our existing Car (beloved Citroen Berlingo) simply isn't man enough to tow (anything!). I spent over 6 months researching various models (Sportage, Qashqai, Land Rover etc.) and went for the PHEV. I had certain criteria that had to be met for the car:-

1. Strong enough to tow a caravan (without being too restricted on choice of caravan)
2. Big enough boot for 3 Dogs (2x GreyHounds, 1x Lurcher) - hence the reason I purchased the Hatchbag boot liner - the car is getting valeted due to the mess the dogs have created and then I'll be fitting this.
3. Efficient - both fuel and financially

Whilst the PHEV was a significant initial cost (certainly the Sportage was almost half the cost), I felt the benefits of the PHEV far outweighed the cost of purchasing it - I doubt the saving in Tax, fuel etc will ever make up for the extra cost compared to other makes/models. I'll say now, the sales team were terrible throughout and even the after sales service was terrible. I now deal with another dealer. I won't name and shame, but PM me if you really want to know!

Caravan
We purchased a Bailey Pursuit 530-4 - a great spacious caravan but also incredibly light given its size (compared to other brands/models). Towing this caravan with the PHEV is effortless. You totally forget its there when cruising on the motorway. It has an ALKO system on it, so your options are:-

1. Make sure you purchase the long neck tow bar (the removable one)
2. Have the fixed towbar, but purchase a specific ALKO tow ball to replace the towball on the fixed unit - around £30

For those of you who passed your driving license after 1st Jan 1997 - you will need a B+E license to tow anything that is a combined weight (car and whatever you are towing) of 3500kgs or more.

First Trip Summary
Our first major trip was to the lake district. On the way up, I kept the PHEV in Charge mode for the entire route. I filled up 2.5 times (the last .5 being more of a top up, I reckon I could have got there on 2 - just). We achieved around 31 MPG - which I think is amazing. The only thing I noticed was how hot the car felt (on the bonnet) - no doubt due to charging and towing. Driving through the narrow roads of the lake district with a caravan was a white knuckle ride (particularly as this was my first major trip towing a caravan) - but it was fine, The PHEV is almost as wide as the caravan and that really helped with confidence as if the car is OK, then the caravan should be fine too.

Charging through the caravan is fine, no issues whatsoever. I have charged it through an internal socket (for curiosity reasons) - no issues. We currently charge using a splitter from the electric hookup - also no issues at all. We plan to have an external socket installed, although I think we will continue to use the splitter - it somehow feels less impactful on the caravan, although I'm confident that charging through the external or internal sockets will be just fine.

On the way back, I chose not to keep the car in charge, as having read many posts here, I wanted to experiment different methods suggested. So we set off with a full charge, but did not use Save or Charge mode at any point. 2.5 fill ups and around 31MPG - same as on the way up!

Reverse camera was a big bonus for caravan towing, makes hooking up a lot easier.

I have rambled enough.

Nice review. Thanks for that.

Question re. item 5: What was the weight of your combination? I did a couple of hill starts on an approx. 17% gradient, and although the take off was not spectacular, it did take off and it did accelerate to beyond acceptable speeds (for the type of road you would expect taking into account the steep gradient). This was with a 1500 kg caravan (although not fully laden) and 4 adult men in the car.

Question re. item 6: Have you tried driving on a map site with a depleted battery? I would think there is no reason why it would "whine" at camp site speeds. Unless you have to master a very steep gradient. But then it will whine with a fully charged battery as well.

Question re. "Caravan": what is an ALKO system? And what is an ALKO specific towball?

Oh, and you wrote "The PHEV is almost as wide as the caravan and that really helped with confidence as if the car is OK, then the caravan should be fine too." :shock:

I think you are rather lucky you made it back in one piece, if you believe this to be correct :lol:

Outlander: 1.80 m
Caravan: 2.23 m
Difference: 0.45 m or exactly 25% of the width of the car

Hi Anko

Q5 - Caravan around 1400, Car 1800 - I chose to do the B+E license as at the time I was unsure of the Car/Carvan combination I would be going for. In addition, the training for the B+E test was invaluable from a safety/confidence perspective and now means I have complete freedom when choosing the next car/Caravan

Q6. Not yet - I wanted to avoid the whining that was mentioned in other topics on this forum, so always ensured there was a bit of juice in the battery (usually when I'm around 10-15 miles away I'll start to charge)

ALKO - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpOTWjPmyCw - in a nutshell, stabilising system thats helps reduce snaking

PHEV almost as wide - yep, when you take into account the extended side mirrors too. Made it in one piece thanks to the B+E training I reckon ;)

DanMellor said:
Q5 - Caravan around 1400, Car 1800 - I chose to do the B+E license as at the time I was unsure of the Car/Carvan combination I would be going for. In addition, the training for the B+E test was invaluable from a safety/confidence perspective and now means I have complete freedom when choosing the next car/Caravan
I did my B+E training for exactly the same reason, when I (we) started caravanning. But my question was more related to your experience regarding crawling uphill.

DanMellor said:
Q6. Not yet - I wanted to avoid the whining that was mentioned in other topics on this forum, so always ensured there was a bit of juice in the battery (usually when I'm around 10-15 miles away I'll start to charge)
I do that too. Even sooner, I guess. But at campsite speeds, I think you should be fine even when the engine was running: although the request for torque may be high, the request for power stays low (as speed stays low).

DanMellor said:
PHEV almost as wide - yep, when you take into account the extended side mirrors too. Made it in one piece thanks to the B+E training I reckon ;)
Ah yes, if you include mirrors .... But in that case, I would hope it would be wider than the caravan (not almost as wide). In the Netherlands, this is mandatory by law, as you must be able to see the sidewalls of the caravan in the mirrors. I would expect something similar applies to you?

I did know ATC, although not as "the AL-KO system" as AL-KO has many, many different systems. But I was not aware it requires a special towball.

Q5 - Ah, no particular circumstances, I just think I went into the hill too slow.

Mirrors - Indeed, SUV almost as wide and extended mirror (to make it wider) - this combination makes me feels warm an fuzzy inside.

Hi
Regarding your initial point 7 , can you clarify why you bought that cable? I looked up the website and saw its some kind of conversion but I´m not clear what the purpose/benefit is - thanks!!

Mark

The cable I purchased allows for "Fast Charging" - which is around 2.5-3 hours, compared to the standard 3 Pin socket which charges in 5-6 hours. Some charging stations in car parks (such as the Polar charge points in Gunwharf Quays, Portsmouth) have the facility to charge using this cable (in addition to standard 3-pin). I think Sainsbury's are also installing this type of connection in their car parks.

There was no specific reason for purchasing this cable, other than the comfort of knowing I have this charging facility available to me should I need it and the fact that I was able to get it around £50 less from the site mentioned over buying from UK.

I have used it once and spends most of its time in the free bag in the boot.

For those of you with a driveway and the charging unit installed, I believe this unit can charge using this cable as well allowing for a quicker charge.

Regarding point 5. My understanding is that the engine will only drive the wheels direct at speeds down to around 40mph owing to use of a fixed gear (and clutch of course), so I am wondering whether it's best to avoid dropping below this speed when going up hill with a load, to have combined power of the engine and electric motors?

GrahamRC said:
Regarding point 5. My understanding is that the engine will only drive the wheels direct at speeds down to around 40mph owing to use of a fixed gear (and clutch of course), so I am wondering whether it's best to avoid dropping below this speed when going up hill with a load, to have combined power of the engine and electric motors?
Well, no. You always have combined power of engine and e-motors available (unless battery SOC is at 17%, which I think nobody has ever experienced yet).

We are talking about serial hybrid mode (engine drives the generator) versus parallel hybrid mode (engine drives the wheels, plus the generator if surplus power is available). In parallel hybrid mode, RPMs are dictated by vehicle speed and thus (unless you drive very fast) much lower than the 4100 RPM you may reach in serial hybrid mode. The reduced RPMs also mean a reduced power output. In parallel hybrid mode, then engine does about 1700 RPM at 40 MPH, way less than half of the 4100 it can do in serial hybrid mode. So, especially taking onto account the torque curve of our engine, the engine produces way less than half the power compared to what it could produce in serial hybrid mode.

What you will normally see is that, as soon as your speed exceeds 40 MPH the car will switch to parallel hybrid mode (provided you are in Charge mode, of course), simply because it is more efficient. But available power is restricted to what the engine can provide at low revs plus what the battery can provide. When more power is needed than what is available from the battery plus a slow revving engine (this could be because you are towing, climbing or accelerating fast), the car will fall back into serial hybrid mode (or not go into parallel hybrid mode to begin with), and you will have full 60 kW from the battery + 60 kW form the generator. This is the same as what you have available at speeds below 40 MPH.

At approx. 75 miles per hour, the amount of power available from the engine in parallel mode catches up with the amount of power available in serial hybrid mode, because RPMs have gone up with speed. And thus the car always goes into parallel hybrid mode when you reach that speed. Up to 75 MPH, total system output is limited to 120 kW. From 75 MPH towards top speed it gradually increase to the max system output of 149 kW.

On the side:

From an "I want to maintain an as high as possible SOC while towing" perspective, it would be better to stay below 40 MPH. Assume you need 40 kW for driving at 40 MPH. When you are driving in parallel hybrid mode, about 30 or less kW will come from the engine. The rest wil be taken from the battery. In serial mode, all 40 kW will come from the engine + generator and there may even be some surplus power to charge the battery while you are at it. So, for maintaining SOC, parallel hybrid mode is a killer.

Dan, tks for the write up, I believe you are local to me, will drop you a message to ask about which dealer this is.

We found "a" dealer absolutely useless on pre-sales and left us alone on two visits without a word or any interest whatsoever from the "sales team".

Mine will be a company car, so was lucky to have a 3 day demo direct from the Cirencester Mitsubishi HQ, plus the full spiel from the guy that dropped off the car and explained the features.

Back