Main beam adjust?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Probably bulbs fitted incorrectly...

I fixed my problem by fitting Osram Night Breaker bulbs. Now the lights are aligned correctly and I have more and better colour-matched light.

jaapv said:

I fixed my problem by fitting Osram Night Breaker bulbs. Now the lights are aligned correctly and I have more and better colour-matched light.

Yes probably. I have some Ring xenon bulbs which Id like to install and replace the existing factory bulbs....but given the issues Ive had with the allignment, Im reluctant to touch anything in case I end up putting the beams back into the wrong position. Especially as noone was able to explain to me how they had fixed the issue.

themolecatcher said:
jaapv said:

Yes probably. I have some Ring xenon bulbs which Id like to install and replace the existing factory bulbs....but given the issues Ive had with the allignment, Im reluctant to touch anything in case I end up putting the beams back into the wrong position. Especially as noone was able to explain to me how they had fixed the issue.

You could always do what the garage did - mark the position of he original lights on a wall - replace with new bulbs and try to adjust to the same position. If it doesn't work, refit and realign the originals. Just hope the OH doesn't decide she needs the car in the middle of the project!k :shock:

Neverfuel said:
You could always do what the garage did - mark the position of he original lights on a wall - replace with new bulbs and try to adjust to the same position. If it doesn't work, refit and realign the originals. Just hope the OH doesn't decide she needs the car in the middle of the project!k :shock:

That's pretty much what I did - just kept fiddling with the fitment until the beam was in the right place. Don't know if I could repeat it though!

themolecatcher said:
jaapv said:

Having read your previous posts, if I were your dealer, knowing that you tried to modify the original specs of the car - I would be presenting you with a big bill for trying to sort it out. What they would have done is taken the bulbs out and probably found at least 1 of them was put back the right way up, then changed the other one to match.

As dealers and their service departments have probably never had to change bulbs in the PHEV yet, they will be unaware of the look of the parts and consequently would be unlikely to notice a replacement part. My guess is they thought they were factory fitted parts and thought they were fitted incorrectly, hence they "didn't know what they did etc".

I guess you should take all measures to check your own work first, MMC dealers will eventually realise that people are modding the lights. It will not be covered under your warranty, and if you have a lease car it is against your terms and conditions. Be careful out there.

Oh and don't forget....invalidating your insurance too! :roll:

(In case you hadn't realised....a tongue in cheek comment!)

Changing bulbs invalidating a guaranty/insurance and breaking a contract? That seems a bit over the top... I don't think that there is any court of law that would regard it as such.

jaapv said:
Changing bulbs invalidating a guaranty and breaking a contract? That seems a bit over the top... I don't think that there is any court of law that would regard it as such.

Agreed :D

In the UK, I am lead to believe, the whole warranty cannot be invalidated by a change made to a part of the car, but any faults that develop as a result of a change can invalidate the cover for that item. i.e. changing a bulb for a HiD and the wiring melts (extreme example). Same with servicing - a manufacturer cannot insist that all servicing is done by the dealer network, but I think it would be an unwise choice not to do so, in order to avoid the argument. (see below)

Changing a like-for-like bulb (55w standard for a 55w Osram) would, I am sure, not invalidate the warranty as the manual does not mention name of bulbs, just the type. Defence would be - the bulb blew so I changed both bulbs as the other one may be due to fail as well. Changing to an off-road 100w and melting the fittings would invalidate the warranty!

There was a test case a few years ago on a P.C. - there were stickers on the case saying that opening the case would invalidate the warranty. When a problem developed, the stickers were seen to have been damaged (stuck over a join in the case) and the warranty cover was declined. A judge ruled that a P.C. was inherently updatable as it had spare slots and a number of add-ins were available on the market, so "sealing" a case was unreasonable.

Jeff

Q&A - Automobile Association (UK)

Do I have to get my car serviced by a main dealer?

You are not obliged (since October 2003) to get the car serviced by a franchise dealer during the warranty period.

You must though get it serviced according to the manufacturer's recommended schedule and criteria using only manufacturer approved parts.

The legislation only applies to the part of the warranty offered by the manufacturer, i.e. insurance-backed extended warranties offered by dealers are not covered and may stipulate different conditions.

If you do get the car serviced outside the dealer network you must make sure it's done to the maker's recommended schedule and criteria using approved parts. You must also keep records so you can demonstrate to the manufacturer that servicing was undertaken to their requirements.

You should still get warranty work undertaken by the franchised dealer as it is easier for them to deal directly with the manufacturer.

Back