Mastercharge charging Station questions

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aayorks

Hi, I have just ordered a GX4H and will get delivery by the end of July. I have been in touch with Chargemaster and am just about to send the necessary details. My question is I'm unsure which box to get, if I get a tethered cable and a 16a box is this likely to be out of date when I swap the Phev. I could get a 32a untethered box but would then need to buy a cable. I'm not sure which way to go, any advice would be gratefully accepted.

How long do you expect to keep the car? Assuming that it lasts that long, I would expect to keep our PHEV for ten years, and I have no intention of buying another EV in that period - hence the "future proofing" argument does not apply. The charging points seem to be relatively cheaply built and are usually exposed to the elements - I seriously doubt that it will outlast the car. For that matter, most people seem to stay in one house for less than ten years... The car cannot draw more than 16A, so I could see no point in splashing out the extra for a 32A point.

I did go for untethered and bought the additional cable. At the time, I was anticipating using public charging points and hence expected to need my own cable. Also, my charging point is installed on the wall just outside the garage and the up-and-over garage door would have struck the plug of a tethered point if it was stowed in the recommended position. As it happens, I never use public charging points, but the £160 for the cable is a drop in the ocean compared with the £35k for the car!

Thank you Maby, I will be running the car through my business, I normally keep a car 3 to 4 years, the extra cost of the 32a did put me off a touch, I'm not sure how much I will use public charging points, probably not too much, I think maybe 16a and tethered will be the way to go.

Local council offers free parking for electric vehicles and free lecky. Also the 2 parking spots on offer are those right by the pedestrian exit.

It is a no-brainer.

Charge up!

MackV12 said:
Local council offers free parking for electric vehicles and free lecky. Also the 2 parking spots on offer are those right by the pedestrian exit.

It is a no-brainer.

Charge up!

It is - provided you needed to stop in that car park! Since buying the car, I've realised that few of the places that I stop have charging facilities.

Aayorks said:
I have been in touch with Chargemaster and am just about to send the necessary details.
Or you could just forget Chargemaster and go for a Rolec 32A tethered unit, which are currently priced at only £10 more than the 16A.

I have cancelled with Chargemaster and think I am going to go with Rolec and their 32a tethered unit, I think the amount I will save with this and not buying a cable I would never make back by the few times I would publicy charge.

I have the Rolec 32A unit, and whilst I had it fitted before the subsidy got reduced (so it was 100% free), it also included the RCBO which Chargemaster would have charged me extra for.

Aayorks said:
I have cancelled with Chargemaster and think I am going to go with Rolec and their 32a tethered unit, I think the amount I will save with this and not buying a cable I would never make back by the few times I would publicy charge.

Usually best to work out your pattern of usage before investing in a tethered point and / or a cable. The costs work out quite expensive compared to petrol and if you can quite happily charge at home using the cable supplied (5 meters) it only takes 5 hours to fully charge rather than 3.5 with a tethered unit. When you think it will cost £190 (ish) plus vat for a tethered unit and about £160 (ish) for a cable, you could find that would have paid your petrol costs for a year or a fraction of that would pay for a waterproof outside socket, if you have off road parking (and you can use that for other electrical items). ;)

Weird question.... All these chargemaster unit comes with a "key" to operate. I wonder Are these keys the same with all chargemaster units?

Thanks...

I have had my Rolec 32A tethered unit fitted today, everything is fine except it sticks out a bit more than I thought, would it be ok to leave the end plug part undocked wound around the unit and hanging down.

tun said:
Weird question.... All these chargemaster unit comes with a "key" to operate. I wonder Are these keys the same with all chargemaster units?

Thanks...

No they are all unique coded to each box - and don't loose them - replacement is the cost of a new box...!

dgmulti said:
tun said:

Thanks...

No they are all unique coded to each box - and don't loose them - replacement is the cost of a new box...!

Thanks! I wonder if there are any such thing as "master key" :)

Aayorks said:
Hi, I have just ordered a GX4H and will get delivery by the end of July. I have been in touch with Chargemaster and am just about to send the necessary details. My question is I'm unsure which box to get, if I get a tethered cable and a 16a box is this likely to be out of date when I swap the Phev. I could get a 32a untethered box but would then need to buy a cable. I'm not sure which way to go, any advice would be gratefully accepted.

I installed a 32A untethered unit, for a small price increase over the 100% subsidised 16A unit in 2014
This was for 3 reasons;
1. Future proofing for evolving technology.
2. You need a separate type 2 - type 1 cable to use most public charging points anyway.
3. If I bought another hybrid in the next few years, and it was a European car (which generally use type 2), it would only need an additional type 2 - type 2 cable to work in the existing outlet.

Back