Mechanical problem

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rgilyead

My PHEV is in the garage with its first mechanical problem - the oil seal between the rear axle electric motor and the transfer box has broken, leaking oil all over my new block-paved driveway. The service guy says only one other mechanical problem has been reported so far - a broken oil seal on the front axle. If there are really only 2 problems reported then this would be pretty amazing for a new and technically complex vehicle in the first couple of years of operation. However, it could be that these seals are a weak spot so it would be worth checking under your car for leaks occasionally.

Wonder if the ECU, BMU, other computer has a sensor for oil levels. There seems to be a lack of displays for the mechanical aspects of this hybrid vehicle.

Well, the leak had got quite bad and I hadn't had any warnings so it would seem that the oil level in this back axle assembly is not monitored. I will ask when I pick up the car.

Garage have told me that spare parts won't arrive until 8th June. I guess this is because they are PHEV-specific rather than general Outlander parts. Quite a wait though.

Funny you should mention this! Was just coming on to highlight my similar experiance. Noticed a lot of spots of oil on the drive the other week and had it up on the ramps to have a look. Spotted some oil coming from between a metal collar (rusty bit in the pics) and what looks like the rear electric motor. Put my hand on the collar to discover it was free moving and as I moved it slightly to the side oil started streaming out! Don't know if the collar is supposed to be fixed or not.

It's the wifes lease car and has been in the garage 2 weeks now and has been told they don't even have the part numbers to order the replacement parts yet. She is not a happy bunny as having to reaquaint herself with petrol pumps and has been given a tiny puddle hopper that she can't get any equipment in the back of!

Phev1_zpszo1ed8or.jpg
phev2_zpsoeqc6jcr.jpg

Well 14 days in and dealer still has no idea when parts will arrive! Off to France in 3 weeks and will not be going in the mirage that they have given us as a courtesy car!

For the collar I think it's just the type of metal used. More concerned about the rust on the arm that goes to the wheel. (the black part)

A new part under guarantee would be nice but given that they have taken 3 weeks to get what is effectivly an oil seal from Japan I don't hold out much hope! Garage has now told me that the part they ordered has come in but they have been sent the wrong part. Now have to wait another 14 days for (hopefully) the correct part to arrive! Not a happy bunny and have raised a complaint...

If this is a lease car, can we claimed back those lost days either in contract extension or reduction in lease amount?

Just wonder....

Latest update is that another part is required to complete the repairs but no news on when that might be available. This could run and run... (unlike the car)!

Just heard that the second part is being flown over from Japan in about a week. If Mitsu thinks it is running a "just in time" parts strategy then I have news for them - it isn't.

rgilyead, if it's anything like mine the first delivery will be the wrong part, the second delivery will be the correct part but missing a seal and the third delivery will supposedly arrive a month after the problem was discovered! not happy at all at the moment but hope you have a different experience.

You guys are in much better shape than we are down here. The spring that is on the flap for the charge port has fallen off and is lost. The dealer ordered the part from Japan. It has been almost 3 months and dealer says MMC Japan still can not provide any info when the part will be delivered :evil: I am just wondering if it would take this long if it was an essential spare part.

Update on my issue: Sorry rgilyead for updating this rather than starting afresh but though it best to keep this all in the one place. Third replacement part which was due in on Friday is now missing in action and they have now stated it will be the 18th July before a new part will arrive from Japan!!!! Leaving for France in 2 weeks and have been told they might be able to "borrow" a salesmans PHEV for a couple of weeks but won't be able to confirm that until 4 days before I go on holiday. Official complaint now registered with Mitsubishi as 2 months for a simple oil leak is beyond a joke!

Have you tried suggesting your dealer takes parts from a new stock car? I don't think he would like the delay!

Wuduslad said:
Have you tried suggesting your dealer takes parts from a new stock car? I don't think he would like the delay!

Or take the parts from the Salesman's PHEV? they can grab some other car off the forecourt for him and it would mean not mucking about with someone's future new car.

Back