Milky mush under oil filler cap

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david1972

Hello all,

The other week I thought I'd have a look under the oil filler cap and found to my horror the tell-tale milky gunk that indicates water is getting into the system somewhere. Does anybody else have this?

Thankfully ours is a lease car on a full maintenance contract, so I'll be insisting on a full oil flush and investigation at it's first service. Has rather put me off buying the car at the end of the 3 years though - it's one of the first things I check when viewing cars and always walk away immediately when I see it.

As the engines only run for short periods the condensation is a lot more hence what you are finding. Normal for engine going on and off

If this is considered 'normal', then this really is a worry.

I don't recall other plug-in hybrid cars displaying this issue. It's a recipe for catastrophic engine failure at some point down the line. Just glad now that it's not going to be my problem beyond my lease term.

If it isn't a blown head gasket, it'll just be condensation. Not sure why that is likely to lead to catastrophic engine failure?

I have not checked my car, will do later. But if I find this under my filler cap,I will not be worried. As others have said it is caused by the moisture from normal condensation not being burnt off fully as the engine is not run for long periods. It will not affect engine life.

I have similar on my conventional engined car where it has an extended filler tube and I often find this gunk under the filler cap in the Winter as this stays relatively cold even when the engine reaches operating temperature.

Do check that you are not loosing coolant, but if your coolant level is steady then do not worry.

Mayonnaise in the oil cap means the engine needs a run. Couple of times a month my car gets a 350 mile round trip.

Suggest you take the car for a 20 mile spin, in battery save mode. Condensation will go.

david1972 said:
If this is considered 'normal', then this really is a worry.

I don't recall other plug-in hybrid cars displaying this issue. It's a recipe for catastrophic engine failure at some point down the line. Just glad now that it's not going to be my problem beyond my lease term.
Not really. There is no reason for doom and gloom.
You are referring to this happening on an engine with a blown head gasket. If it is due to condensation there is no technical problem, especially with modern synthetic oil.
Normal hybrids will have their engines running warm more often compared to a frugally driven plug-in, so won't show the effect as easily.
Out of interest, which other plug-in hybrids have you driven that didn't display this effect?

david1972 said:
Did anybody else get round to checking this on their phev please?

I checked mine earlier and it is spotless - but I'm not sure you can read much into that - it spends far more of its time on petrol than it does on EV.

Mine has a small amount of Mayo under the cap. Well, it had as I have now wiped it off.

Back