Mitsubishi, not so well known?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trex

Ok fellow Phevers just a short talk about the parent company and our PHEVS.

I get the impression from reading various threads on this forum that many of you have had nothing to do with the company before and are maybe fearful of the brand because of its smaller size, ............... (insert whatever you want in this space) compared with other more well known Motor companies to you. Future concerns about reliability I have seen mentioned here frequently. Now because the majority of us here are probably driving the first model of the PHEV and we feel like we are beta testers that is probably a justified feeling.

But lets have a different look at current situation.

The PHEV has been out now for nearly 4 years (late Jan) in Japan, over 3 Years in Netherlands (Oct 2013) etc etc and so far no mass major recalls for a car with so much new technology. Pretty good so far.

It has ranked the best selling plug in Hybrid for a number of years and up to Nov 2016 over 116,000 of these marvels have been sold. There are a lot of us in the same boat. The first 4wd plug in hybrid in the world and in my opinion still the best.

Now lets talk about Mitsubishi. The first I heard about this company was when I was a child. Here in Australia during WWII we were attacked by the Japanese on our top end and the Mitsubishi Zero was a famed plane that terrorized the skies through the Pacific war. They were still talking about it in the 1960s when I can remember hearing about it. The Americans had to develop new tactics and planes to fight this menace. We Australians recalled our best fighter pilots from the European theatre (including my father's first cousin from Malta) and the latest Spitfires from Britain just to take them on. So Mitsubishi was well known in our family and not for good reasons but they made an exceptional plane.

Fast forward to the early 1980s. A new car called the Mitsubishi Pajero 4wd came on the market here. We were regular users of Land Rover 4wd, Toyota Land cruisers 4wd in our business. They were tough but very utilitarian in their nature. This new Pajero was like a car inside. It cannot be tough like the competion. We bit the bullet and bought one and never looked back. Have owned 3 but still bought Land cruisers for some of our fellow workers because some people never like change. In Australia Mitsubishi is well known. The 1st Motor company with 5yr warranties here.

The Pajero went on to win the Paris-Dakar rally more times than any other vehicle.

So folks I hope it puts a few minds at ease about the PHEV and Mitsubishi. It helps me.

Regards Trex.

Ps Their was a problem with the GS Yuasa Corp cells in 2013 that delayed introduction in most markets but I do not consider that a mass recall. You may beg to differ. It was certainly a early teething problem that had to be fixed.

Mitsubishi make a lot more things than cars. they have bene making electronic components for a lot longer, and im sure there are Mitsubishi electronic components in almost every car on the road. hence, why i think they have nailed the electronic technology side of the PHEV.

Mitsubishi advertise the Outlander PHEV on TV, 'Sponsoring Documentaries on (UK's) Channel 4', and have done for ages.

Here is the ad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACAGLO4-7YI

The advertising must have been too subtle for me.

:lol:

Yet I got a charging point installed in 2014 a few years before I got a EV.

:shock:

The ad didn't explain to me why I should get an Outlander PHEV.

:|

It wasn't until I walked past a stickered up PHEV at a local leisure park that the 150-whatever mpg to the gallon was made clearer ... the penny dropped.

:lol:

So Mitsubishi, I knew it for the Evo, and that cars are just a small part of their product portfolio.

As a pilot I must underline the Mitsubishi aircraft expertise.

Not only WWII Mitsubishi Zero, one of the best fighters,
but also modern Mitsubishi Regional Jet, making
Mitsubishi Aircraft Corporation one of the few
commercial aircraft manufacturers in the world.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_Regional_Jet

Aircraft technology hopefully sips through to the PHEV as well.

450px-JA21MJ_TAXI_TEST.jpg

Another well known and popular machine is turboprop MU2.

There is also a long list of licence built and original military aircraft,
including F-2, Japanese version of F16.
Comprehensive full list below:

http://www.militaryfactory.com/aircraft/contractor.asp?thisCompany=Mitsubishi

I do not have to admit, it helped me to choose the Mitsu PHEV as my new car. :)

Back