Mitsubishi Please add an EV only button

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bilbo59

Jsaapv,

There are multiple threads containing the same discussions. If someone wants to start a clean thread on this particular topic - what is the harm?

To lock a topic/thread that others want to contribute to is really not in the spirit of this forum. If there are space/technical reasons then let us know that is the reason and we will understand, otherwise it would be appreciated if you let the forum grow organically.

Thanks

It makes the forum quite messy and difficult to search in the long run. Most moderated forums adopt this policy. The alternative is to merge threads, but that disturbs the logic of a thread from time to time.
Note that I added a link to the main thread, so nobody misses out on contributing
If the users prefer I'll happily use the merge function in such cases - we are young and still have to find our habits

I tend to agree with jaapv. Multiple threads on the same (limited) subject is messy and unnecessary. Other forums I visit adopt a similar policy. People should search! :)

Also, when somebody starts a new thread on a very common topic, it leaves you with one big questions: Did he read everything that was already written about this? Not knowing this, you do not know whether it makes sense to repeat what has already been written.

So, I agree with Jaap.

Don’t forget that forums like these are not just a bunch of blokes having a natter at the pub, although it may seem so to the participants. There are lurkers enjoying the show, prospective buyers looking for user opinions, people looking for technical information, factory and importer marketeers looking for unfiltered user feedback, factory technicians picking up early signs of bug or systematic failures (at least there should be, there is no better and cheaper instrument), etc.
The success of the forum depends on all these. Make it too messy and it will become unfindable in Google and uninteresting, causing it to fail.

Jaap,

With all due respect, this is not the same,
to discuss the technicalities of the absence of the EV button,
as done on the other thread, and starting a petition to Mitsubishi
thread, as in the title.

You said yourself, that this forum is for:
...factory and importer marketeers looking for unfiltered user feedback, factory technicians picking up early signs of bug or systematic failures (at least there should be, there is no better and cheaper instrument), etc.

Starting a tread with clear message:

Mitsubishi Please add an EV only button

is IMHO appropriate and gives other forum members the opportunity
to join this request, which I, herewith, do.

Locking such thread smells like censorship by a moderator,
who does not agree with the opinions of the author of the thread.
(Coming from my part of the world, I am, maybe,
little allergic to censorship.) ;)

It's hardly censorship. Just a case of this has been covered elsewhere and we don't really need to thrash it out again.

jaapv said:
It makes the forum quite messy and difficult to search in the long run.

Try using EV Only (mode or button) in the search box - nothing appears

Titan said:
It's hardly censorship. Just a case of this has been covered elsewhere and we don't really need to thrash it out again.

The last debate seemed to be between those that wanted EV only and those who thought Mitsubishi wouldn't or couldn't do it. It also debated workarounds. Maybe a new thread will have less technical discussions and some owners just saying yes please and why!

I also manage forums, web sites and blogs and my experience is that unless you allow topics to grow and die organically, people will just go elsewhere to have their discussion.

Locking a forum and directing people to the last long, technically orientated thread does unfortunately seem like censorship which i'm sure was not intended by jaap. Also, if people haven't read it - so what! They can't find an EV only discussion by using the search facility anyway. Those who engaged before can choose not to engage again and those who perhaps have recently joined, were inhibited by the content, were on holiday or didn't have time before etc etc etc can contribute to the new thread.

Part of the problem of duplicate topics is that the search facility doesn't work well.

When I first joined the forum, there were relatively few posts, so you could just scroll through all of them. As it's now much busier, new members use the search facility. Typical responses to searches for "Eco" and "button" are met with "this word is too short or too common to search". So new members post a new question.

Classic case: yesterday 7550 started an Eco button thread as he couldn't search it. (I posted a link to my thread of last year to prevent duplicates.)

I only found my thread of last year by looking at my own profile.

Irrespective of the pros and cons of having an EV button, I'm not sure that this is a valid place to launch a petition - there's no strong evidence that Mitsubishi actively monitor this forum, and the total number of members is sufficiently small that, even if you could get us to all agree (ha!), I doubt that Mitsubishi would consider it significant.

maby said:
Irrespective of the pros and cons of having an EV button, I'm not sure that this is a valid place to launch a petition - there's no strong evidence that Mitsubishi actively monitor this forum, and the total number of members is sufficiently small that, even if you could get us to all agree (ha!), I doubt that Mitsubishi would consider it significant.

http://insideoutlander.boards.net/board/11/suggestions-mitsubishi

maby said:
It would be rather stupid of Mitsubishi not to read the internet forums in general, including this one. There is no better and cheaper way to keep track of the mood and opinions of their customers

On the accusations of censorship:
In the first place there was no content removed, nor altered, there was simply a redirection. Censorship is the control of content by an outside agency. That will never happen.

On the subject of censorship in Interet forums in general. It does not exist, for they are not the public domain. These are private areas. The administrator, represented by his moderators, determines content and form. Posts can be altered, removed, relocated. Members can be cautioned or even banned, all in the interest of the forum and other members.
Compare it to a club, which will set its own rules, or a newspaper that will select and edit the letters to the editor to be published.

In well-moderated forums -and I hope this is one of them- the moderators will be impartial and open to reason by the other members.
Speaking for myself, I will never moderate (part of) a post because I happen to disagree personally. I will, however, do so for the good of the forum (even if I agree personally). Nor am I in the habit of going in denial in case I made an incorrect decision.
And members can always appeal with Admin.

I can't believe we have a thread discussing whether we should have a thread - must be a Monday morning :lol:

greendwarf said:
I can't believe we have a thread discussing whether we should have a thread - must be a Monday morning :lol:

We need new blood in here! We have done just about every serious PHEV related topic to death already... :lol:

maby said:
greendwarf said:

We need new blood in here! We have done just about every serious PHEV related topic to death already... :lol:

The forum has evolved quite a lot since I found it and then subsequently joined only a few short months ago. It has gone from a small number of founder members posting new findings and new subject matter, to a larger membership where many new members are posting about subjects that have been covered previously.

Has it really reached a turning point where all meaningful Outlander PHEV features and topics have been covered now? Is it more a case of experienced members helping new buyers with their purchase decisions and then advising on questions about day to day use?

I haven't really used the search function - does it work or not? We do seem to be getting lots of repeat posts about GX3 heater, EV button, charging solutions, MPG range, etc...

maby said:
greendwarf said:

With every new PHEV sold we have a potential new member.
Most of them will go the same way we did, excellent car in summertime,
unpleasant surprise when it gets colder, and they will start asking
the same questions again and again.

I also participated in many other forums, mainly aviation related, and it is
a common problem, posting before reading.

A good and effective search engine is essential.

I haven't found the search engine (on this site) to be particularly helpful: I know I've read something useful on here in the past, but searching for it rarely leads to the correct thread, which is why we get the same questions coming up again and again, I suspect....

I just had a quick play with search and it is too basic. 'ECO' or 'ECO button' return too many matches to display, as do many other common PHEV phrases.

Can we have an advanced search function please? Another good idea someone already suggested would be to use sticky threads?

I suspect not, given this site is hosted by a commercial group and the forum software is probably the same web design across all of the other maufacturer forum sites hosted by this group. Time for a forum software upgrade?

Back