Modifying the Mitsu charger cable to accept 16A

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steepndeep

Hi

I would prefer to be able to use 16A when charging my PHEV at home. Having looked into the IEC standard on what the box on the cable does it does a number of safety functions. The most important being turning on the power only after the PHEV has been connected and saying that I am ready to receive current. It also signals to the PHEV the maximum current the PHEV can use. This is now set as 10A only.

According to IEC the box signals the allowed current by Pulse Width Modulation signalling (very basic). HAs anyone opened the charge box on tha cable to see if the PWM can be changed? Presumably Mitsu uses a standard chip where the PWM is set static with an outside resistor. If that could be changed by a switch you could alternate between 10A and 16A depending on your socket.

500 Euro safety too, I'd say.
If it is rated at 10A the components (cables,relays,etc.) used are specified for 10A. Put 16A through them and they are out of specification.
I don't think your insurance would like it.

jaapv said:
500 Euro safety too, I'd say.
If it is rated at 10A the components (cables,relays,etc.) used are specified for 10A. Put 16A through them and they are out of specification.
I don't think your insurance would like it.

I don't think the car will draw more than 13A, will it?

It can draw 16A maximally. And thus, in the UK, blow the fuse on a domestic outlet if used with a 16A charge box (do they exist at all?).
I use a Ratio 6A-10A charger for domestic plugs and have a 16A charging station at home.

This is as far as I got (or needed to go):

15q5454.jpg

I think there might be heat issues if you try to take too much current through the box, seems a lot of encapsulation involved.

jaapv said:
It can draw 16A maximally. And thus, in the UK, blow the fuse on a domestic outlet if used with a 16A charge box (do they exist at all?).
I use a Ratio 6A-10A charger for domestic plugs and have a 16A charging station at home.

Yes, they exist:
http://www.charge-amps.com/spark/

I have one of these, very useful, light weight and adjustable, 6 A, 10A and 16A.
6A is perfect if you don`t know the status of the outlet. If you what to draw 16A out of a Schucko-outlet (EU domestic) it must be wired with 2,5 mm2 cables.

My Circutor Wall-Box also gives 16 A and a charging time of 3,5 hours.

BR//Per-Anders

- Outi's max intake is 3.3kW (14.4 - 14.6 Amps), even at PWM wide open (32 Amps)
- The factory ICCB's PWM-setting cannot be altered
- I bought an EV-Charger PCB board second hand for >EUR 100 and installed the factory ICCB's cable, no prob
- brand new EV-charger PCB nowadays cost less than £50

Back