motorway miles - should i buy a phev?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
milemuncher said:
So....
I managed to get an extended test drive on the 4h.
About £36 worth of fuel at 1.24p.
So I got about 260 miles which got me 40mpg on average. This was 2 return commutes of around 120 miles with the added little trip with 2 full charges not 4. One charge on one end with about 6 miles local travel and the remaining motorway. Then again a return trip uncharged with the charge button pressed I got 36mpg. Then back again uncharged but with what was charged using the trip I got 40 mpg.
Then I charged it. Left the house on full charge and travelled 60miles on eco.
This gave me 60mpg.
The car was great and comfy to drive and I love the idea of driving an electric car its great when you see the indicator showing you that the car is running on battery and not engine and the regen set to 5 is pretty impressive.
I just wished that Mitsubishi could do a diesel hybrid. I don't think the phev in the petrol hybrid form could give me what I need for the daily motorway commute. However the car is great and I would love to own one if I did a shorter commute.
The mmcs is a little slow at times to react to buttons but I could live with that.
I had issues pairing my phone with the Bluetooth.
Overall I think the car is great and I really want one.
Maybe if I could charge at both ends of my commute id consider it even more.
Well done Mitsubishi! I just wish I could drive a little more gentle! :)

maybe ask your boss if you can salary sacrifice some money in exchange of charging at work.

and just to check the office doesn't have a standard 3 pin plug within 20 metres you could use? Whilst MMUK say don't use an extension lead, I have done a dozen times no drama [keep it in the boot all the time for visiting friends, run it through the letterbox if there's no outside plug!] and the dutch forum has people using 15 metre extension leads onto the supplied 5 m cord every day.

Eggtastico said:
maybe ask your boss if you can salary sacrifice some money in exchange of charging at work.

Don't go sacrificing much! A full charge is worth slightly more than half a gallon of petrol - perhaps £3!

Thanks guys I I wish I had more time with the car I would like to do the journey in eco only and see how it would get on.
I was however confused with the charge and save buttons.
I pressed the charge button when the battery was low and I was travelling on the motorway. It seemed to show power going to the wheels and the battery. However it showed pretty much the same when save was pressed or even when neither was pressed!
Very confused.

I really like the car and may still go for it if I can charge at both ends of the commute.

milemuncher said:
Out of interest what's the consumption at 90 or 100 mph?

"I just wish I could drive a little more gentle!"

Would these two statements be linked, by any chance, Milemuncher? :twisted:

milemuncher said:
Thanks guys I I wish I had more time with the car I would like to do the journey in eco only and see how it would get on.
I was however confused with the charge and save buttons.
I pressed the charge button when the battery was low and I was travelling on the motorway. It seemed to show power going to the wheels and the battery. However it showed pretty much the same when save was pressed or even when neither was pressed!
Very confused.

I really like the car and may still go for it if I can charge at both ends of the commute.

Regarding charging, I think a lot depends on the speed you are driving at. The petrol engine has a finite output and, in charge mode, that is being shared between moving the car and charging the battery. if you are driving close to the car's maximum speed, there will be little left to charge the battery.

Back