MPG - Quick Poll

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sg0102

Hi all

I ordered my 3GX company car yesterday, only to be told that my company is reviewing the inclusion of the PHEV because of reported problems with the mpg attained.

I've love a quick poll on here on people's views?

Thanks in advance...
Steve

We use ours as a general purpose, reasonably large and reasonably performant estate car and we get around 45mpg. This is doing around 1000 miles per month with a mixture of short and long trips - four to five days per week we average probably 10 miles per day and at weekends we average approaching 100 miles per day. Fuel consumption on the short trips is extremely low, but this is eclipsed by the fuel consumption on the long trips. I cannot charge at weekends, though I'm not sure it would make very much difference if I could - if I'm doing a 200 mile round trip at mostly motorway speeds, a charge on Saturday night would save me less than half a gallon of petrol.

If the balance of your mileage is reversed - almost all short trips and very few long trips, then you can achieve the very high headline MPG figures - but personally, I would question the justification for buying a £35,000 large 4WD estate to use only for short hops. It's not particularly hard to model if you know how to drive Excel - a charge will cost you approximately £1 in electricity and realistically speaking will take you around 20 miles (averaged over the year). After that, you will get around 40mpg running as a petrol car provided you don't have a very heavy right foot - if you thrash it hard you can get it closer to 30mpg. Plug those numbers into a spreadsheet with your anticipated pattern of driving and you'll get a number out. I did before we ordered ours and the figures that came out were very similar to what we are observing. Do remember that there will be quite a big difference in performance between summer and winter. We were averaging over 50mpg in the warm weather and are managing just over 40mpg now. I anticipate averaging close to 50mpg over the year.

sg0102 said:
Hi all

I ordered my 3GX company car yesterday, only to be told that my company is reviewing the inclusion of the PHEV because of reported problems with the mpg attained.

Thanks in advance...
Steve

This is a problem with a lot of people buying the PHEV due to the low BIK but not looking at how they use it. If you visit a mitsu garage, they will discourage you from buying it and instead recommend the diesel if you do more than 90-100 miles a day as you will be disappointed.

If you have heavy foot (accelerate hard, then brake, repeat), short local journeys in towns and sitting on the motorway at 80+ and never charge it, you will get mpg in the 20s and 30s which will really piss you off with a 45l tank in terms of range. Ultimately it is just a weak(ish) 2l petrol engine pulling a heavy car at that point...

If you do charge it overnight and drive normally (not hypermiler-style though), then everything else depends on your usage profile.
If you never drive more than 30 miles between charges then you will get astronomically high mpg.
More than 30 miles between charges then your mpg will start to come down, but probably end up in the 50s and 60s.

Me?

I try to do as much on EV as I can, but occasionally have the odd 70-80 mile journey in mixed use (London and M40/M4) and I am getting about 60 to 80 mpg on average. Very happy as this is better than both the Range Rover and the Peugeot 107 it replaced... ;-)
But I did do a long motorway trip over 2 days from Bucks to South Wales and then Birmingham and back home when I first got it with very minimal charging en route and sitting at 70 on the motorway I got 45-55mpg.

I don't disagree with any comments so far. Two other things I'd suggest are:
GX3 owners are commenting on much worse winter fuel use for short journeys (sub 30 mile) as they have no electric heater, and the ICE runs to provide heat. No idea what they are getting but it ruins it for those expecting to do a 10 mile commute each way purely on battery, they are finding the engine runs all the way.
And to add to comments about heavy right foot, the actual cruise speed has a huge impact. The PHEV is 2 tonnes and as aerodynamic as a brick so under 40mph its fine. 40 - 70 it starts to guzzle fuel, but if you want to cruise at +80mph (130kph) be prepared for 20something mpg and very regular fuel stops as the tank is small.
HJB

BeeJay said:
sg0102 said:
Hi all

Thanks in advance...
Steve

This is a problem with a lot of people buying the PHEV due to the low BIK but not looking at how they use it. If you visit a mitsu garage, they will discourage you from buying it and instead recommend the diesel if you do more than 90-100 miles a day as you will be disappointed.

Strictly speaking, the BIK benefits are enough justification on their own - a PHEV driven as a pure petrol car will average around 40mpg which is pretty good for a large estate and the BIK saving will be hundreds of pounds per month - far more than enough to compensate for the marginally better fuel consumption you can get out of a diesel.

There is a simple solution - offer to run the car on a fixed fuel allowance - you'll probably come out ahead.

GX3 since June 14, average to date 60mpg, includes motoway trips of 150m.

Don't miss the heater as it takes forever for a diesel engine to reach temp anyway. PHEV will blow hot after 5 mins and stay warm with ICE cutting in and out (use save as it's running anyway).

Cheers

Chris

PS will still do 25mpg towing a 1500kg dive boat! No worse than a Disco.

As already said, it is entirely dependent on your driving profile. Therefore...

Daily commute - 16 miles each way (charging at both ends) - 1000 ish mpg ;) (about £1.50 in electricity)
Weekend - 150 miles at 45 mpg (mostly on petrol)

On the assumption that what we are discussing is really running costs, you really should discount any claims of fuel consumption better than around 150mpg. Unless you have a roof full of solar panels, that is the best effective running cost for the car if it never starts the petrol engine at all!

RazMan said:

Daily commute - 16 miles each way (charging at both ends) - 1000 ish mpg ;) (about £1.50 in electricity)

Pretty much the same for me. And as maby said, the BIK tax saving does it for me regardless of economy.

maby said:
On the assumption that what we are discussing is really running costs, you really should discount any claims of fuel consumption better than around 150mpg. Unless you have a roof full of solar panels, that is the best effective running cost for the car if it never starts the petrol engine at all!
I entirely agree with Maby (for once :lol: :lol: )

RazMan said:

16 miles times 10 = 160 miles @ infinite MPG.
150 miles at 45 MPG.

Averages out at 310 / (150 / 45) = 93 MPG.

maby said:
TS said his employer had issues with MPG. So, we are talking about fuel consumption, not running cost. right?

Solar panels do not lower the running cost of the car, as the solar power used for your car cannot be used for running your washer and dryer.

anko said:
maby said:
TS said his employer had issues with MPG. So, we are talking about fuel consumption, not running cost. right?

Solar panels do not lower the running cost of the car, as the solar power used for your car cannot be used for running your washer and dryer.

Most (all?) businesses are only interested in the bottom line of the balance sheet. They simply haven't caught up with the concept of electric vehicles yet and think in terms of MPG - but if they start getting hit with claims for hundreds of pounds in electricity bills, they will start to adjust their view of the world.

I do very little business mileage. My employer pays me a fixed rate per mile based on engine capacity - the rate is intended to cover the running costs for an average petrol engined vehicle of that size. Given that the Outlander is a 2 litre engine and can turn in an effective fuel consumption in excess of 100mpg on runs that are short enough to be done primarily on electricity, business commuting would be quite a profitable exercise - if I actually did any!

Done around 6,500 miles since getting the car in August. Averaging around 67mpg so far, I make that about 52mpg when you factor in the costs of the electricity. It was approx. 85mpg in fuel until recently but 5 x 300+ mile round trips has really brought the economy down. Car is kept outside and over the winter the batteries have not returned the mileage we were getting in August/Sept. Not seen a full charge read above a range of 25 since the weather turned. Daily cost to charge is working out at 63p.

Had my GX3 for 3 months and done 2500 miles. 60mpg petrol dropping to 45mpg factoring in daily home charging. I have solar panels but they are not included in my calculations. I let ICE heat the car when the wife or kids travel with me but I am happy to turn off heating on my own.
Not bad for the coldest months of the year - my previous dieseI 4x4 only managed 32mpg. Expecting to do much better in spring, summer and autumn when I don't need the ICE for heating. My driving is 99% local around 25 miles per day, so well suited to the PHEV.

maby said:
BeeJay said:
sg0102 said:
Hi all

Thanks in advance...
Steve

Strictly speaking, the BIK benefits are enough justification on their own - a PHEV driven as a pure petrol car will average around 40mpg which is pretty good for a large estate and the BIK saving will be hundreds of pounds per month - far more than enough to compensate for the marginally better fuel consumption you can get out of a diesel.

Not if the company is handing out fuel cards, in which case the BIK is nothing compared to the increased fuel costs they are probably seeing...

Back