Mysterious LED indicator

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjoernni

Inside the car, just next to the interior light switch near the mirror, there is a small LED.
Now and then this LED lights up (orange), for no particular reason.

I have asked the sales representant. He just nods, and reply "yes, it lights"!

Does anyone know what this LED want to tell me?

bjoernni said:
Inside the car, just next to the interior light switch near the mirror, there is a small LED.
Now and then this LED lights up (orange), for no particular reason.

I have asked the sales representant. He just nods, and reply "yes, it lights"!

Does anyone know what this LED want to tell me?

I think that light is purely to provide some ‘mood lighting’ when it is dark by shining some kind of orange glow down towards the centre console. It should only come on when the headlights are on.

WOW!

Thank you for solving my "problem".

Still i think it must be pitch dark to have any use of this "downlight".

I have been told it is meant as an orientation light should you be so unlucky as to go into the water. (Which strikes me as a bit of BS, but regulations often are..:( ) It seems to be a legal requirement in some countries. Mitsubishi is not the only brand to have this light.

anko said:
It is not just a good suggestion. It is the right answer ;)
If it were, why did my Jaguars have it as well? they are so sprinkled with little lights all over the place that they really don't need "mood lighting".

jaapv said:
anko said:
It is not just a good suggestion. It is the right answer ;)
If it were, why did my Jaguars have it as well? they are so sprinkled with little lights all over the place that they really don't need "mood lighting".
For these kind of questions, I suppose there is a Jaguar forum? :lol:

Yep - and you get the same kind as puzzled explanations as you do over here. Come to think of it, Jaguar used to rely on Ford for switchgear, lights and such stuff, so I guess you get this little orange rectangle in Fords as well.

It is to provide ambient light during night driving.

Both my Jaguar and Porsche had the same thing.

What a ridiculous, unnecessary waste of money! Gizmologie gone mad. Motorists have done without it for over a 100 years. I can't see the point, in fact I find it rather annoying. None of my cars other than aforementioned Qashqai have had it so it cannot be due to any legislation.
Only worse thing I can think of is blue 'mood' lighting in the footwells. The point is?????

It's supposed to look 'cool' although in the PHEV, the light is not targeted or bright enough to make much difference.

The equivalent blue light in my Lexus really did create a cool effect as it created a blue glow over the centre console.

Back