New 2016 map works OK

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emm3t

After being frustrated with the fact that the HERE website never looked like it had a map for my MY16 PHEV, I wrote to customer services to ask if there was one available.

Yes there is. It is the one here http://www.navigation.com/is-bin/IN...ShowAllProducts=YES&PersistNavigationMenu=YES

I received it today and installed it. Seemed to go OK (but took for ages and the MMCS is not available at all while it updates).

They appear to have changed the maps design a bit and the English voice is different (she's a little less matronly...). Some of the backgrounds to the option screens have changed as well... It would be nice to see a change log.

yes - the roads around here had changed so much since the original map was produced that it was getting ridiculous.

I also noticed that the traffic monitoring now actually works - it was kaput previously.

jaapv said:
That is really expensive. Mitsubishi charged me 100€ less for the same update a few weeks ago.

Odd

So DIY whith self download and self installation .. is more expensive then ask to get it serviced by Mitsubishi :shock:

This is really a screwed up a business model .. personally .. such type of business I can only wish they get kick out of business ASAP ... such company don't deserve to exist in the market

PS: The Map provider could ask 10/20 USD more per unit at mitsubishi at the production time, and then offer to Mitsubishi car owner free map upgrade (or at least something cheap .. like 10/20 USD per upgrade) ... I'm sure they will get even more money in this way .. and happy customer too .. win win ...BTW ... Now I know which navigation system in the car I should avoid next time I look for a car .. hopefully by the time .. this navigation company has gone already bankrupt

elm70 said:
jaapv said:
This is really a screwed up a business model .. personally .. such type of business I can only wish they get kick out of business ASAP ... such company don't deserve to exist in the matket
It is people like you that tell them they do deserve to exist. By buying their products. New or used, doesn't matter
I think it is your wife that does not deserve a place in your life, as she made you buy it :lol:

elm70 said:
jaapv said:
That is really expensive. Mitsubishi charged me 100€ less for the same update a few weeks ago.

Odd

So DIY whith self download and self installation .. is more expensive then ask to get it serviced by Mitsubishi :shock:

This is really a screwed up a business model .. personally .. such type of business I can only wish they get kick out of business ASAP ... such company don't deserve to exist in the market

PS: The Map provider could ask 10/20 USD more per unit at mitsubishi at the production time, and then offer to Mitsubishi car owner free map upgrade (or at least something cheap .. like 10/20 USD per upgrade) ... I'm sure they will get even more money in this way .. and happy customer too .. win win ...BTW ... Now I know which navigation system in the car I should avoid next time I look for a car .. hopefully by the time .. this navigation company has gone already bankrupt
That would limit your choices severely. NAVTEQ/Nokia is owned by Daimler, BMW and Audi group and supplies their software to other car makers and to Garmin. The only other two companies active in this market are TomTom and Google.

anko said:
elm70 said:
jaapv said:
This is really a screwed up a business model .. personally .. such type of business I can only wish they get kick out of business ASAP ... such company don't deserve to exist in the matket
It is people like you that tell them they do deserve to exist. By buying their products. New or used, doesn't matter
I think it is your wife that does not deserve a place in your life, as she made you buy it :lol:

Ok ... I made a bold statement .. but I think everybody can agree that this Navigator has a very odd and not customer friendly business model:
Ask double price to people that want an update DIY over their web site, compared to some lucky dealer ... it is making things even much worst

About .. buy new or used ... both are part of the market .. if people will no get used car for a specific brand, it will also impact the value for who buy car from factory .. anyhow .. navigation service is something that has a value for the car life ... so ... for at least 10 years after buying new the car, that normally impact multiple car owners

About my wife, and my and her deserve ... no comment ... we might enter into what it is very OT

PS: I bought the car for different reasons ... "the need" to waste some money , the curiosity of new technology .. plus I was getting a very good deal

Well, I guess NAVTEQ sets a retail price on its software and sells wholesale to the car makers. It is up to the car makers to decide whether they will take a profit, subsidize or provide for free for marketing reasons.
Caveat Emptor.

Back