New car not charging

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Padped

Hello all. New owner and new to forum.

Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem and can put my mind at rest?

New car picked up Thursday and plugged into dedicated charger overnight. Woke up checked app and it shows only 2 bars of the battery charged. Came back from work Friday (most of which was obviously with the ice running :roll: and plugged in whilst monitoring the app. It started charging then stopped after a few minutes.

Tried it again later whilst on phone to dealer and both car and wall unit makes a few clicking sounds as I'm told it should but then watching dashboard the car goes from showing a red plug cable symbol to flashing a quick "charging interrupted" then something like "ev system fault requires service"

Dealer says they need it back in Monday but as that will take half the working day I tried Mitsubishi assist uk. Didn't fill me with confidence when they said they didn't have the details of the model on their system and have to raise a call manually! Initially they were going to send someone but then phoned back to say engineers couldn't address this problem and it had to go back to dealer. They've arranged to pick it up nowbut it seems they have no system/laptops to even diagnose let alone fix these vehicles. Not very happy to be honest as its spoiling my experience of what is a cool vehicle to drive.

Has anyone else seen this problem. Pretty certain the wall charger (via British gas) is working ok so I'm hoping its gone into a protection mode and its just a "reboot of the ev system" needed. If it turns out to be this why the hell can't the assist guys sort it!

Two things to check:

1. Make sure that the MMCS isn't set up with silly timed charging hours.
2. You don't say if you have tried plugging in to a standard socket via the cable/charger supplied with the car. If you try this and still get the fault then at least you can eliminate the dedicated charger.

Hope you get it sorted :(

Thanks.
Yes I did check that all charging timings were off.
I didn't want to start trying more charging having seen the dash warnings tbh.

Assuming this gets sorted is using the cable in domestic plugs ok then as the dealer was very down about this idea?

Welcome Padped
It should be fine -why do they supply a cable for it with the car otherwise! OK, so they advise a separate socket on its own circuit but according to other posts on the forum the car only draws the same sort of current as a toaster so there shouldn't be a problem if your household wiring is up to date. Many of us use this option, or used to before having a 16/30 amp charger installed. Several people also use an extension lead when necessary, despite dire warnings from UK dealers to the contrary - as long as it is correctly fused/rated and fully uncoiled it should be fine. Avoid thunderstorms and torrential rain...

I am not an electrician and am only recounting what people have written on here. I have also charged my car several times using a normal socket in my outbuildings - should take about 5.5-6 hours from empty.

Cheers
H

Welcome to my world.

I am still with an exchange vehicle. Exchange vehicle is just like the demo on the test drives. My supplied PHEV has problems. Backup for these tech vehicles is very thin and unless a specific fault code is seen, then apparently there is no problem.

Hopefully a reboot will fix the problem in your car. Did not fix my car though, and new problems presented afterwards. I have had the EV service required warning message and it is not reassuring in a new vehicle.

The manufacturing process does not seem to have enough checks, in line with the complexity of the car so cars with defective systems are now coming off the production line for sale.

Hypermiler said:
Welcome Padped
It should be fine -why do they supply a cable for it with the car otherwise! OK, so they advise a separate socket on its own circuit but according to other posts on the forum the car only draws the same sort of current as a toaster so there shouldn't be a problem if your household wiring is up to date. Many of us use this option, or used to before having a 16/30 amp charger installed. Several people also use an extension lead when necessary, despite dire warnings from UK dealers to the contrary - as long as it is correctly fused/rated and fully uncoiled it should be fine. Avoid thunderstorms and torrential rain...

I am not an electrician and am only recounting what people have written on here. I have also charged my car several times using a normal socket in my outbuildings - should take about 5.5-6 hours from empty.

Cheers
H

+1

So car back from the dealer where it didn't show any error codes and charged without issue - albeit on their 13A socket not a 16A British gas unit.

Just tried to connect to my 16A socket and again it connects, shows charging cable but within 5 min displays those two dash errors again. Seems strange that such a message is not being logged by the vehicle and shown on the dealers diagnostics. I've asked them to talk to Mitsu technical about this and see if they can tell me why it shows this message (to high current?)

Next course of action is to get the 16A socket looked at for a fault. In the mean time I plan to get a heavy duty extension and try the 13A charging. Bit frustrating when we had what we thought was the right charging solution installed.

Padped said:
So car back from the dealer where it didn't show any error codes .

I have had similar experience with faults being displayed on the dash screen, but not being recorded. I think the PHEV computers are so jam packed with code that they can't record any messages. It is only when the problems persist with a scan tool connected that the fault is recorded by the scan tool. :mrgreen:

I had a wheel speed sensor fail and this was the only time a fault was recorded. The car was not driveable so there was still a fault when the scan tool was connected. The PHEV seems to clear fault codes without a scan tool. TOO Clever one would think, or maybe designed that way.

Padped said:
So car back from the dealer where it didn't show any error codes and charged without issue - albeit on their 13A socket not a 16A British gas unit.

Just tried to connect to my 16A socket and again it connects, shows charging cable but within 5 min displays those two dash errors again. Seems strange that such a message is not being logged by the vehicle and shown on the dealers diagnostics. I've asked them to talk to Mitsu technical about this and see if they can tell me why it shows this message (to high current?)

Next course of action is to get the 16A socket looked at for a fault. In the mean time I plan to get a heavy duty extension and try the 13A charging. Bit frustrating when we had what we thought was the right charging solution installed.

Probably not this, but last night I plugged my 32 amp charger in and the red plug flashed on the dash then went off. Tried several times and the same thing happened, then my son came out lifted the plug slightly and it made a clicking noise like it wasn't quite making contact and started charging fine. Did the same this morning gave it a hard shove and it started again. When you plug in does the red plug sign on the dash flash for a few seconds?

Thanks I tried taking the cable weight off by booking it over the flap and though for a bit it had worked but no, after a while it stopped. So I've connected it up to my 13a charger and its happily doing its stuff. I also tried a fast charge at m1 services today and that worked perfectly too.

So it's definitely looking like my BG 16a charging point is the problem. Just weird it starts the connection /charging process and the box doesn't show a red light fault. Logged a call with them to come and sort it I hope

Had the same problem with my British gas installed 16amp unit.
Once plugged in there would be a few flashing lights from the filler socket area and the charge unit would click a few times and change from amber to green but then it wouldn't stay green.
Phoned British gas and they asked me to contact chargemaster which I did and they replaced the unit within a week. The new unit works fine so I think there must be a few rogue units out there.
Cheers
Alan

First time I connected the car to the polar unit, it gave out a loud crack, and that was that! Charges fine off a domestic socket, and waiting for a polar replacement.

Back