New outlander gx4 what additions do I need

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Abitinga

ok so ordered my gx4
Charge master have been booked to install a 16 amp non tethered cable and I'm about to order the public charging lead for out and about and charging to the non tethered point at home.
What other extras would I need/you recommend?
Is there a lead that I can use to plug into the electric outlets if I go camping?
I've got the ecotricity card the cyc app and I've ordered a plugged in midlands card, anything else?

Because the main beam (on the models with HID lights) is pitiful. Osram Nightbreakers are a bit better, HID bulbs excellent, but will take a fraction of a second to come to full power when flashing.

I have to concur with the woeful high beam offered on the top of the line model, I have looked at a way of mounting some spot lights. The plastic bumper bar offers no solution for mounting. I was reluctant to modify any body part of the car.

I have found that there is a steel body member just behind the number plate fixing point, with a foam pad in between it and the bumper. There is also a cooler support bracket attached to the rear face of this steel cross member. I was able to mount an angle bracket between the cooler support and the cross member and use the same bolts. This creates a flat surface to attach to without modifying the car. I found a relatively cheap, light weight angle bracket as an after market spot light mount. I was able to make spacers that fitted the square holes in the plastic bumper bar and rigidly mount the angle bracket with bolts that I attached to threaded holes made in the steel cross member. Finally I have braced the top of the front number plate, spot light angle bracket, back through the grill to the internal angle bracket on the cooler mount. The final result is a very rigid spot light support mount, that requires no cuts or mods to the PHEV front end. Will post a pic with lights attached.

I have used only hand tools and no welding or bending. I did fabricate the T section braces from aluminium angle and flat stock that I glued and bolted. Tricky bit was to remove the cover panels with all the plastic clips to gain access to behind the grill.

Must say, all you moaning about the main beam of the HID equipped cars make me smile. I'm very happy with it, when I compare it to my previous vehicle, a VW camper!! :D

I am about to embark on a 3 month holiday that will include criss-crossing of Australia. I am hoping that being able to see any wildlife on the road from a long way off will be an advantage in protecting all the plastic panels on the front end from any unwanted animal contacts. Anyone who has driven at night will know the importance of light in preventing eye fatigue. I am not expecting to drive all night, but decent lights should be mandatory for cars shipped to Australia in this modern age. I have a simple solution that will allow me to invest the savings on top shelf lights.

Titan said:
Must say, all you moaning about the main beam of the HID equipped cars make me smile. I'm very happy with it, when I compare it to my previous vehicle, a VW camper!! :D
I am 100% with you! I still miss the acetylene lights on my Stanley Steamer!! :mrgreen:

Have added a small LED light bar to the bracket and am impressed with the output for such a low wattage. No longer have the yellow high beam, and instead have a pool of even white light extending to fill in the section above the Low beam HID cut off. Have not needed to add any special wiring or relays and the air flow and front end profile has only minimal deviation from STD.

I'd suggest an extension lead for campsite / visiting family, see http://www.myoutlanderphev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=291&hilit=Heavy+duty+extension+cable

As well as main beam, I'd also suggest getting LED sidelights ("position lights" in the manual) several threads on this, but in the same modifications section as this there's one a couple of days ago on how to.

I'd also get a small padlock, like a suitcase lock, as that fits under the charge lead trigger if you are worried someone might take your £300 MItsu cable if left unattended in a dodgy area.

HJB

Back