New owner questioning MPG Figures !!!

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Freeman38 said:
We have driven the car in the most economical manner, i.e, set to 'B0' and coasting where possible, and made use of the regenerative breaking when slowing down. Are we expecting too much or are these figures what we should expect ???

For a starters you should be in B5 to get the most of the regenerative braking. We average 80 to 100 mpg over the last 13000 miles.
On a long run we get 45mpg, which is 50% more than our XC90 which we had before. So not sure what the original poster was expecting to get.

Well, hate to disagree, but in reality, it makes very little difference to the economy whether you fiddle with the paddles or not. The car works pretty well in the default mode.

HHL said:
Freeman38 said:
The car works pretty well in the default mode.
I agree. But if you live, as I do, in a hilly area (lots of 10-15% gradients), using the paddles enables descents without touching the brakes, which would be needed if the car was left in D (=B2), thus maximising regeneration.

HHL said:
AndyInOz said:
My guessometer had me in stitches this morning.

After a full night of charge, it was showing an electric range of 74 km!

After driving to and from work (16km), it is showing 44 km of electric range.

I have no idea how it has become so confused.

I should have taken a picture!

Mine does that when I have been running in hybrid mode for a while before charging, but it soon comes back to reality when I start driving.

It's a long time since I've seen the guessometer predict anything over 20 miles, and its predictions generally turn out to be very accurate. It tries to take into account your driving style and seems to get carried away if you are on EV most of the time.

ChrisMiller said:
HHL said:
Freeman38 said:
The car works pretty well in the default mode.
I agree. But if you live, as I do, in a hilly area (lots of 10-15% gradients), using the paddles enables descents without touching the brakes, which would be needed if the car was left in D (=B2), thus maximising regeneration.

Yes, I am sure the paddles are mainly there to enable "downshifting" using regen. Incidentally, I have found as long as the car is in the default (B2), using the brake pedal can provide the same amount of regeneration as B3-B5, however, in B0 and B1 it seems to be less. Also bear in mind that the brake light does not come on when you slow down using the paddles, at least not in the older model.

Hi

Sorry to hijack someone else's thread, but I thought it best not to start another for the same subject.

I deliver parcels for a living and my round is fairly compact, a lot of stop/start. It is mainly suburban and partly rural. My total mileage in a typical day is about twenty-five miles. A few mild hills, with one very steep, but relatively short, incline. There also a few steep driveways, one or two are almost thirty-five degrees. The village has one public type 2 charge point and a nearby (about four miles away) motorway service station (can be accessed by surface roads) with a CHAdeMO point.

With my petrol car (1.6 automatic), it can cost me as much as £280.00 a month in fuel.

My question is; with a proper strategy for recharging during the day, could I get away with not using any fuel at all?

NessunDorma said:
Hi

Sorry to hijack someone else's thread, but I thought it best not to start another for the same subject.

I deliver parcels for a living and my round is fairly compact, a lot of stop/start. It is mainly suburban and partly rural. My total mileage in a typical day is about twenty-five miles. A few mild hills, with one very steep, but relatively short, incline. There also a few steep driveways, one or two are almost thirty-five degrees. The village has one public type 2 charge point and a nearby (about four miles away) motorway service station (can be accessed by surface roads) with a CHAdeMO point.

With my petrol car (1.6 automatic), it can cost me as much as £280.00 a month in fuel.

My question is; with a proper strategy for recharging during the day, could I get away with not using any fuel at all?

Not using any fuel? - I would say 'possibly' in the summer, and 'probably not' during the winter, unless you want to make a detour to the Chademo. Assuming that is an Ecotricity Rapid, these are free at the moment, but may not be for much longer, and whatever charge they bring in will probably make it uneconomical for a PHEV.
The type 2 chargepoint will only give you about 6-8 miles of charge per hour, so unless you can time it right, it's probably not going to be much use.
Having said that, you should be able to get 10-15 miles on EV in the winter (bearing in mind stop-start and lots of hills), and 20-25 miles in the summer, so you'd be saving a lot of that £280 per month.....

Thanks JDSX

I don't mind taking the detour, it would a good opportunity to have a spot of lunch, or a hot chocolate in the winter.

I think I oversold the hills a bit, we are not talking San Francisco here. :lol:

I haven't bought that car yet, I am considering contract hire (it makes good business sense for me). I am currently considering the GX3h+, with the sat nav package.

Is it possible to fit a fast charger at home?

Back