new owner - the drive home

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Austen

I collected a 3h+ from Shoreham today, 9/16 with 2100 miles and condition as new.

The range indicated 22 miles at start, I travelled from Shoreham to Patcham (6 miles slow traffic and a steep hill) on battery then onto the A23 on battery downhill (rolling on B0) and save mode up hill. Turned off at Handcross and did 10 miles on battery through twisty country roads using b3,4 to slow down at bends. Total distance 30 miles and arrived home with 6 miles range left and indicated mpg 120.

Since my cost of a full charge is £1.22 and this is roughly 24% of the cost of a gallon (£5.13) would it be reasonable to deduct 24% from the indicated 120 mpg to reveal a more accurate figure (91)?

Chris

Are you sure you're using the correct (marginal) cost for your electricity? When you compare suppliers, you may be given a figure for the average cost of leccy, but this isn't the cost of each extra kWh that you use to charge your PHEV. Example:

Suppose you use 1,000 units (kWh) per year at 10p each and have a £25 standing charge. Your total bill would be £125, so the average cost per kWh is 12.5p (and that's the number you would use to compare alternative suppliers). But the marginal cost of charging is still 10p per kWh.

Although it's a 12kWh battery, it is (should, anyway) never be really 'empty', and charging it shouldn't take more than 10kWh. If you're paying a marginal rate of 12.2p for your electricity, you need to change suppliers! (Mine (Co-op) is 8.63p.)

I think you are talking about the TCR however the rate I am using to make calculations is purely my cost per Kwh which is 12.39p with British Gas. I was with EDF but wanted something like 16.40p after September. I haven't taken the standing charge into account as you have to pay that anyway whether charging a car or boiling a kettle. According to the Mitsu calculator is will cost £1.22 for a full charge.
I looked on the co-op site and couldn't find anything as low as my current tariff so they must have risen since you took out your contract?

Chris

Tariffs have in general risen. I'm going to be lucky to find anything as low as my 10.1p (+vat) when my current tariff runs out in a couple of months.

Back