No wonder EV drivers hate us..

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 816

I was parked up this afternoon getting a rapid charge at a services on 1 of the 2 chargers.

Another PHEV arrives with the driver holding a phone to his ear (illegal and totally unnecessary) and parks at the other charger, 2 lads jump out both youngish and fit enough looking to walk another 10 feet from a normal space, no attempt to plug in, just stroll off to the services.

Fortunately no one else turned up before I was done and leaving but if someone arrived in a Leaf they would be ranting online about inconsiderate PHEV drivers and we are NOT all like that!!!

Please remember there are selfish prats that drive all types of cars.

Just to add some balance, I parked at the same charger today and their was a Leaf in the one slot not plugged in so they do it too!

Fortunately there was room still to plug mine in as another PHEV just beat me to the other charger by literally 5 seconds..

Imagine if we all left our cars at the petrol pumps and went off for an hours lunch!

Two PHEV's parked at on street charging points in Coventry today. 3 hour parking limit, but both were there for at least 6 hours. I've used the point myself and you achieve full charge in three hours, so this is just selfish behaviour. Traffic wardens don't seem to pay any attention even though they are actively ticketing cars in the pay and display parking nearby. If they are there again tomorrow I'll take a photo to see if anyone recognises the cars. From my perspective I had to drive home using the ICE and had to pay an extra £3 parking to boot.

Parked at the M23 services today and plugged the car in and activated the charge cycle. So went off for a 10min break. Went back to my car and the charger was no longer plugged in and was now plugged into a Leaf in the adjacent space! The man was in his Leaf eating a sandwich and said my car had finished changing, so he'd unplugged it! Checked my display and it had @20% charge.

What you could have done is warned him that the charger must be faulty and that you'll report it to Ecotricity. Their records should show whether it had been prematurely disconnected and you could ask them to cancel his RFID. But even if they are not interested to investigate, he is absolutely dependant on charging, so this might, at least, have given him some sleepless nights. :lol:

neergh said:
Parked at the M23 services today and plugged the car in and activated the charge cycle. So went off for a 10min break. Went back to my car and the charger was no longer plugged in and was now plugged into a Leaf in the adjacent space! The man was in his Leaf eating a sandwich and said my car had finished changing, so he'd unplugged it! Checked my display and it had @20% charge.

How? my understanding was the connector is electrically locked in and can only be cancelled/released by swiping the same card that started it.. is this not the case?

If he forced things then he could have left your car immobilised by the unexpected loss of communication. I would be very, very peed off!!!

BobEngineer said:
neergh said:

How? my understanding was the connector is electrically locked in and can only be cancelled/released by swiping the same card that started it.. is this not the case?

If he forced things then he could have left your car immobilised by the unexpected loss of communication. I would be very, very peed off!!!

Oh believe me I was seriously peeved. It was plugged in and locked, used the Ecotricity card and it started charging so took her indoors for a coffee. Was not gone that long and Mr Leaf was pluging into his Leaf. Checked my car in horror and the cover was closed.

Didn't know it was locked so don't know how he did it. Car started up and ran without any faults or warning messages.

According to the Ecotricity site it shouldn't be possible,

https://www.ecotricity.co.uk/for-the-road/charge-your-vehicle/dc-chademo

If you need to end your charge session before this, please do the following:

Select the corresponding button to “stop charging” shown on screen, ensuring that you press the button on the same side of the charge point as your connector

Hold your swipe card in front of the card reader when prompted (please note this needs to be the same card that started the charge session)

You can then disconnect your vehicle and hang the cable back up on the charge unit.

It also warns in the FAQ that yanking the connector out can damage the car connector and/or charger connector.

I wonder if some have worked out a way of fiddling it using the emergency stop button? there was some debate about this here before.

Back