Not fully charging & Warm cable / burning

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saladdodger

Hi all. Recently started to experience an issue on my 2014 outlander PHEV.

It only charges to about 40-50% before it cuts out. This is in my home charging unit. I also suspect the cable around the entrance to the socket feels warmer and I am sure I have sometimes smelt a bit of burning.

Has anyone in this awesome hive ever come across this issue. Is it likely to be charging cable or the car?

Many thanks all!

Sounds like you have a bad cable in the charger. Could be just something burned out on a terminal ...

I would beg/borrow/not-steal a different charging cable and try that. If it works, just but a new charge cable (the entire unit). They are not all that expensive and if the old one is getting hot it could be a fire hazard.

Hiya,

The home charging unit (AKA Granny Charger) is supposed to be suspended by a cord through one of the loops at either end.

If you're hanging the weight of the charger, on the electric cable, it is likely that the cables are starting to break.

Otherwise, one of the most common causes for problems with outdoor electrical stuff, is corrosion on the contacts inside the outdoor socket.

If you see signs of corrosion, probably time to have the socket repaired or replaced.

Back