Outlander PHEV coming in 2015 due to battery shortages

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnelk

There's an interesting article on AutoNews.com that says the Outlander plug-in hybrid was delayed 2 years because of bottlenecks in battery production. They've sold over 8100 of them in Japan.

Mitsubishi can only get 4000 battery packs a month, and is expecting an increase to 5000 packs per month in April.

I don't really get why they can't still release it in the US and just have less available? What's the disadvantage to doing that? Instead, they wait 2 years and have other competition and likely outdated technology in the vehicle when it does get here?!

They can't even make their commitments in current markets so it would be irresponsible for them to expand into more markets.

The problem is that they have a single source for battery production. You shouldn't have a single source for such a critical component unless there is an overwhelming reason to do so.

Can you imagine if the battery factory has a devastating fire or earthquake? No more Outlander PHEVs, period.

They had to deliver to the Dutch market first because there was a tax advantage deadline on December 31st. Many sales were made on contingency of timely delivery - I got mine on December 30th. It would have cost me 15.000 Euro had the car been delivered on Januari 1st. So the dealer would have had a legal problem...

Back