Outlander PHEV for Canada

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Decisions, decisions... I went by the dealer again on the weekend for another test drive (of the non-PHEV). We wanted to try it out with a bit of snow on the ground, and to confirm this is the car for us. It sure seems to be.Now we just have to decide if we're happy with another car payment. Even with the $9500 rebate, it's ~580 all in on a 48 month lease. Decisions, decisions...

Our dealer said they are putting together the allocations and that the first batch should arrive in Ontario by the end of the month.

We also need to confirm the colour - so far it's ruby black pearl, but I can't find a good representation of it.

J

The ruby black looks great. It's one of those paint finishes that can't be properly captured in a photo. It was my first thought to get it, but then I saw a slightly used red one and bought it, which is also a great colour. But I think you will like the ruby black.

Steve

Thanks. I thought it would be more black with a red tint, but the very small colour swatch on the brochure looks more black/purple.

Daff said:
The ruby black looks great. It's one of those paint finishes that can't be properly captured in a photo. It was my first thought to get it, but then I saw a slightly used red one and bought it, which is also a great colour. But I think you will like the ruby black.

Steve

jonhache said:
Thanks. I thought it would be more black with a red tint, but the very small colour swatch on the brochure looks more black/purple.

Depends on the lighting. In some lights it looks almost plain black, but then the light catches it in the right way and you get this very dark red/burgundy/maroon tint. Not purple IMO. This video catches it, especially near the end
https://youtu.be/-DQS-IKM3-M

Steve

jonhache said:
... I went by the dealer again on the weekend for another test drive (of the non-PHEV). We wanted to try it out with a bit of snow on the ground, and to confirm this is the car for us. It sure seems to be....

Hi Jon,

testing a conventional Outlander on snow for finding facts about the PHEV version?

I think that you can compare the nice view out of the windows,
The optical impression of the car,
and yes, both versions usually drive with the wheels on the ground.

But the whole drive train is completely different! Other hardware, other software, simply everything different.

I do not see a rational reason in this comparison other than a nice dealer who wants to keep you happy and interested.

Harald

And we're in!. We decided on the Ruby Black Pearl, SE. Dealer contacted me this morning, and they have been allocated our vehicle. I have a VIN, and an estimated delivery of Feb 4th.

J

jaapv said:
Towing capacity is a legal specification. Technically the car can handle quite a bit more than 1500 kg.
Perhaps this is relevant?

https://oppositelock.kinja.com/tow-me-down-1609112611/1609771499 discusses why towing big trailers with small cars is common in Europe, but not in the US.

Basically, if you try to tow with a car and a trailer set up European style (with lower tongue weight), you need to stay within a low speed limit to be safe (many European countries have 80 km/h = 50 mph speed limits while towing). From the linked article:

Higher tongue weight, stable at 100 mph:
dmzih2so72ma6cqjttbf.jpg

Lower tongue weight, becomes unstable at 65 mph:
xylhuizh3fvu9c0z9lma.jpg

Of course, higher tongue weight creates other issues for small FWD cars, so larger RWD or AWD vehicles tend to handle it better.

For anyone interested, found this from another forum:

http://phevgrandtour.com/

Montreal is the one closest to me (I'm in Ottawa). It should be fun to check it out before mine arrives.

J

Still puzzled with the 1500 lbs towing capacity...
The regular GT has a 3500 lbs capacity and 350 lbs tongue weight.
The PHEV is heavier then the GT, so should have no issue with the same limit (better TV/trailer ratio).
Looks like the critical weight would be the GAWR. Does anyone know this?
If the GT can handle 350, then the 150 lbs tongue rating seems conservative and not a structural limitation. If I remember correctly my trailer tongue weight is around 250 lbs ( 115 kg). We don’t have a lot of gear in the trunk and only 3 people on board, so there should be room for the GAWR...
How much is the tongue weight of a European caravan of 1500 kg?

Edit:
AU spec is 150 kg tongue weight and 1500 kg towing...
And GAWR 1255 kg ... time for some calculations...

Just came back from the dealership and I have the same disappointment ! Towing capacity limited to 1500 lbs in North America rather than 1500 Kg in the rest of the world. So I know for a fact that I could tow my travel trailer (apox 2000 lbs) but I wonder if anything happen to the drive train / motors even if not cause by the towing if Mitsubishi Canada would void the warranty ? Further more will my insurance pay if an accident happen while towing the trailer ?

Thanks

Travelight said:
Just came back from the dealership and I have the same disappointment ! Towing capacity limited to 1500 lbs in North America rather than 1500 Kg in the rest of the world. So I know for a fact that I could tow my travel trailer (apox 2000 lbs) but I wonder if anything happen to the drive train / motors even if not cause by the towing if Mitsubishi Canada would void the warranty ? Further more will my insurance pay if an accident happen while towing the trailer ?

Thanks

I would guess..... Yes and No

I wonder if someone has accidentally just copied the 1500 part and forgotten to do the kilograms to pounds conversion.

I don't think so. The regulations for how permissible towing weights are worked out differ by territory. I've seen exactly the same dismayed comparison being made in the past on Subaru and Isuzu forums, for example the current model Forester has almost the same pounds-for-kilograms too.

Arguably the UK tow ratings are optimistic but also we have lower speed limit for towing, lower tongue weights, type-approved tow bars, etc.

Steve

I'm just puzzled by the fact that the ICE version does have a 3500 lbs tow rating!
So why not the PHEV? After all the PHEV has a higher vehicle weight, so should tow even better!

Phevy said:
I'm just puzzled by the fact that the ICE version does have a 3500 lbs tow rating!
So why not the PHEV? After all the PHEV has a higher vehicle weight, so should tow even better!

Agreed

Europe capacity is 1500kg for the same PHEV so I see no reason why in NA the Towing Capacity is not the Same.

A friend just let me know that Towing Capacity is based on the ability to brake and some newer Trailers have Hybrid Brakes on them. Can someone in the know elaborate on this?

Since the PHEV has Regenative and Mechanical brakes I wonder why the Towing capacity is not even higher then on an ICE Outlander.

I will be picking up my PHEV GT model tomorrow. Can hardly wait although I am very disappointed that the Interior is black and not the light brown with red Stiching since I ordered the Quartz Brown Exterior.

Apparently the Brown interior to match the Brown Exterior are not available for Canada. I found that very strange.

I have seen many photos of my Colour request in the USA.

Just have to get used to the Charcoal black interior. hmm maybe I will put on some Rose Coloured glasses.

We get no Rebate in Manitoba but I fell in love with the PHEV when I first saw it on youtube that I wanted one so I put a down payment on it in Jul 2016.

PHEV07 said:
Europe capacity is 1500kg for the same PHEV so I see no reason why in NA the Towing Capacity is not the Same.

A friend just let me know that Towing Capacity is based on the ability to brake.

The reason is as I explained above. Different countries rate the towing capacity using different standards and tests. You can google the SAE test used in the USA. There is a lot more to it than braking. I don't know whether the same standard is used in Canada.

Probably the reason why the ICE version has a higher rating is that it does better on the hill start tests. Here in the UK, the diesel gets a higher rating than the PHEV too.

Steve

Awesome! Post some pics when you get it. My Ruby Black Pearl SE has a delivery date of Feb 2nd. Heading to Montreal tomorrow to the 'PHEV Grand Tour' event to check them out.

J

PHEV07 said:
I will be picking up my PHEV GT model tomorrow. Can hardly wait although I am very disappointed that the Interior is black and not the light brown with red Stiching since I ordered the Quartz Brown Exterior.

Apparently the Brown interior to match the Brown Exterior are not available for Canada. I found that very strange.

I have seen many photos of my Colour request in the USA.

Just have to get used to the Charcoal black interior. hmm maybe I will put on some Rose Coloured glasses.

We get no Rebate in Manitoba but I fell in love with the PHEV when I first saw it on youtube that I wanted one so I put a down payment on it in Jul 2016.

Daff said:
Probably the reason why the ICE version has a higher rating is that it does better on the hill start tests.
Does it really? It may be faster / appear more impressive, but with the PHEV you can do it again and again, without risking to fry your clutch or anything else. I made my PHEV + 1500 kg caravan available to the editors of a well known Dutch 'caravan towing' website. We did several hill starts at a 17% slope in a very short period of time (4 adults in the car, too). First they were a bit worried about the apparent 'slowness' of the PHEV. When they started to understand how everything works without clutch to burn up, no wheel spin, etc., they ended up being very impressed :D

Back