Outlander PHEV only charging to 32 kms

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndrewWoodward

Hi, I am in Sydney, Australia.

I purchased a used 2015 Outlander PHEV from Hunter Holden in June. It had 20k on the clock and was an ex Mitsubishi staff car.

When I first got it, after a charge it would show 52 kms as the battery range. This is what it showed the day I picked it up from the dealer and on subsequent charges at Charge Point Balgowlah and Chatswood.

I am now doing overnight charges with its supplied charger on a 15 amp socket and it shows fully charged providing only 32 km range. This has occurred on every charge for the past 3 weeks.

Thoughts?
Battery?
Charger?
Socket?
Other?

Help!

Thanks

Andrew

AndrewWoodward said:

I purchased a used 2015 Outlander PHEV from Hunter Holden in June. It had 20k on the clock and was an ex Mitsubishi staff car.

When I first got it, after a charge it would show 52 kms as the battery range. This is what it showed the day I picked it up from the dealer and on subsequent charges at Charge Point Balgowlah and Chatswood.

I am now doing overnight charges with its supplied charger on a 15 amp socket and it shows fully charged providing only 32 km range. This has occurred on every charge for the past 3 weeks.

Thoughts?
Battery?
Charger?
Socket?
Other?

Help!

Thanks

Andrew

If you want to know the battery condition, the EVBATMON app will tell you exactly.
Another way to get a fair idea is to set the electricity cost to $1.00 in the MMCS and and look at the charge cost after a full charge, e.g. From one or no bars showing.
This will give you the kWh that went in, and on mine it will show close to 9, sometimes a bit more, sometimes less.
As for the range shown, it is a pretty rubbery figure, I have seen 70km on mine, but more often than not, around 40.
It depends entirely on your last drive, also, if you turn off the aircon it usually goes up by about 10km.
I bought mine at the same place with 10,000km on it, since driven another 10,000 and there has been no perceptible change in range.

Came to add the above, and also, battery range changes a lot between summer and winter.

So main things which determine displayed range are:

1. Season
2. How you last drove
3. What accessories are currently running

The guessometer assumes that everything you are doing now, you're going to do for the whole trip. It has no way of knowing how long you're going to run the heater (for example).

You'll have a better idea of the 12 month cycle once you've had it for a year.

But what is important is how many km you are actually getting not what the guessometer thinks you will - has that changed?

From my experience I think the calculation after a charge is a simple proportional one based on how much charge and distance you had before - e.g. if you had half left it merely doubles the distance. Therefore, the last few km before charging will have a big impact on the new distance shown afterwards.

AndyInOz said:
The guessometer assumes that everything you are doing now, you're going to do for the whole trip. It has no way of knowing how long you're going to run the heater (for example).
Bad example, imho. Turning on the heater does not have an impact on predicted EV range. Turning on the A/C does. As a matter of fact, I have never seen an immediate impact from turning on/off any other accessory than the A/C.

Apart from that, seeing exactly 32 km after every charge during a three week period (is that what Andrew meant?) cannot be exlained by driving style, season, or any other known factor. There should have been minor deviations.

anko said:
AndyInOz said:
Bad example, imho. Turning on the heater does not have an impact on predicted EV range. Turning on the A/C does. As a matter of fact, I have never seen an immediate impact from turning on/off any other accessory than the A/C.

Apart from that, seeing exactly 32 km after every charge during a three week period (is that what Andrew meant?) cannot be exlained by driving style, season, or any other known factor. There should have been minor deviations.

In vehicles with the electric heater such as the Australian model, the heater does have the sam effect as a/c, in fact, the heater can draw almost double the power of the aircon compressor.

HHL said:
If you want to know the battery condition, the EVBATMON app will tell you exactly.
Another way to get a fair idea is to set the electricity cost to $1.00 in the MMCS and and look at the charge cost after a full charge, e.g. From one or no bars showing.
This will give you the kWh that went in, and on mine it will show close to 9, sometimes a bit more, sometimes less.
As for the range shown, it is a pretty rubbery figure, I have seen 70km on mine, but more often than not, around 40.

Totally agree, it's a very accurate tip for all those who don't want to buy a good OdB plug plus the EvBatMon app, but want to calculate their battery's health :idea:

EvBatMon shows 33.1 Ah (yes I know, it's not a good value after 2 years and 29 000 km :oops: ).
It also shows 87.1 % health (= 33.1/38).

If we suppose that 100 % health (38 Ah) corresponds with 9.5 kWh for a full charge measured by the MMCS, then 87% gives 8.3 kWh.
The value shown by the MMCS after my last full charge was 8.2 € (with electricity cost set at 1 €) : very close to the EvBatMon value ;)

HHL said:
anko said:
AndyInOz said:

In vehicles with the electric heater such as the Australian model, the heater does have the sam effect as a/c, in fact, the heater can draw almost double the power of the aircon compressor.
Mine does have an electric heater as well, and I am fully aware it can draw more power than the A/C. And with that, it can have more impact on range than the A/C. But we were talking about the predicted range here, not the actual range. When I turn on the A/C, predicted range goes down immediately. And back up when I turn it off again. When I turn on or off the heater, nothing happens.

AndrewWoodward said:

Thoughts?
Battery?
Charger?
Socket?
Other?

Help!

Thanks

Andrew
The figure is a guess based on historic driving style and charge level. The bar diagram will give you the real state of charge (more or less))

The big advantage using EVBATMON over the MMCS charge input method is that it can show you if there is a bad cell in the battery pack.
So, if you get consistently low charge input readings then that would definitely be the next step, unless you want to go straight to the dealer.

depending on your pattern of usage and driving style, 32km may not be an unreasonable figure. I generally get around 20 miles - which is 32km - from a charge - and have done so since soon after the car was delivered.

I bought a PHEV from the same dealer, under the same deal, EX Mitsubishi car, but mine only had 15,000Km on it, and was first registered and compliance in Feb of this year. as for the battery range, i have seen it anywhere from 30Km after full charge, to 60 being the longest range, actual range i have achieved is between 35 to 50 km depending on driving style (51.5km to be exact). it appears the predicted range depends a lot on your previous drive, if i can get home with the energy use of below 10KW/100km, i will see a predicted range after charge of around 50Km, if i drive like i usually do, and use 25 Kw/100km, then predicted range will be around 30 to 35km.

as mentioned before, its a guess O meter.

ultralights said:
if i can get home with the energy use of below 10KW/km, i will see a predicted range after charge of around 50Km, if i drive like i usually do, and use 25 Kw/km, then predicted range will be around 30 to 35km.
KW is power, not energy. So, it should be either Wh/km or kW. kW can be read from the power meter where the boundary between green and white is 60 kW. Wh/km is somewhat more difficult to obtain, but mine uses approx. 180 Wh/km at 80 km/h steady pace, no wind.

It depends entirely on your last drive, also, if you turn off the aircon it usually goes up by about 10km.
I bought mine at the same place with 10,000km on it, since driven another 10,000 and there has been no perceptible change in range.
Is the app free

Turning on the heat or A/C definitely changes your range. My 2019 would go from 45 kms to 38kms when the heat was turned on.

Back