Outlander PHEV Snow Tire questions

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klaus

I am looking at getting some snow tires, but they are expensive to get for the 18" alloy wheels.

What do I need to know if I am going to buy some other 15 or 16 inch wheels to put snow tires on? Will 15 or 16 inch wheels clear the brakes on the front and rear?

There are very few approved snowtyres for the PHEV. A 1900 kg vehicle with 320 Nm torque cannot use any tyre.
Consult your dealer.

klaus said:
I am looking at getting some snow tires, but they are expensive to get for the 18" alloy wheels.

What do I need to know if I am going to buy some other 15 or 16 inch wheels to put snow tires on? Will 15 or 16 inch wheels clear the brakes on the front and rear?

It's also a legal aspect. In many countries the diameter of the Wheels may not differ too much from standard.
E.g speedometer also will show wrong figures
Or are there tyre profiles that give the same diameter with 15 or 15" as the 18"?

I’m a bit puzzled too. This is a car that costs (in the Netherlands) something between 40.000 and 60.000 Euro, albeit with a silly large tax advantage. So why skimp on the tyres which are the only thing keeping it on the road? :?: To save a few hundreds of Euros that are neither here nor there?

jaapv said:
I’m a bit puzzled too. This is a car that costs (in the Netherlands) something between 40.000 and 60.000 Euro, albeit with a silly large tax advantage. So why skimp on the tyres which are the only thing keeping it on the road? :?: To save a few hundreds of Euros that are neither here nor there?

Good point!

Thank you for your responses.

It's also a legal aspect. In many countries the diameter of the Wheels may not differ too much from standard.
E.g speedometer also will show wrong figures
Or are there tyre profiles that give the same diameter with 15 or 15" as the 18"?
Yes, I would be using a tyre that ends up within a fraction of the same dimensions so that power/speed etc will not be changed by very much.

There are very few approved snowtyres for the PHEV. A 1900 kg vehicle with 320 Nm torque cannot use any tyre.
Consult your dealer.
Sounds similar to a truck to me, and there are lots of snowtyres for 16 inch truck rims that are highly qualified I think.

A truck at 170?
Anyway, if I were you I would check with Mitsubishi if using non-homologized wheels and tyres does not (partly) invalidate your warranty. I know it would have done on my previous car.

jaapv said:
A truck at 170?
Anyway, if I were you I would check with Mitsubishi if using non-homologized wheels and tyres does not (partly) invalidate your warranty. I know it would have done on my previous car.

170 what? Perhaps I am misunderstanding.

Regardless, you are right, I don't want to have any warranty trouble. Thank you again!

I would recommend the Nokian R2 SUV if you want good grip in snow and ice or the WR G2 SUV if you drive mostly on dry roads. You can use for example 215/70/16 on your PHEV ( this is the dimension used on the Basic model of the Outlander).

I’m in the mountains now; more than a meter snow during the last two days and the Hankook I-CEPT EVO tyres on original 18” rims perform excellently. So does the car - far above my expectations.

Greetings!

I´m waiting on my PHEV, due to be delivered on 17" winter tyres here in Stavanger, Norway in end of Feb. Not sure what tires and the specs, but will post once i get the car.
Currently i drive the 2010 Outlander 2WD on 16" but i find it to be too much rubber and expect the feel to be better on 17". With the PHEV 4WD as well it should not matter with the wider 17" tire.
Will post my thoughts after a few miles on the road and a trip up the snowy mountains :)

(one extra thing though is that I get it with studded tires for better grip on ice)

The feel will be better on the 17" I'm sure, but I don't know how much different.

Where I live we have very strict rules on studs in the tires, but that would make the grip very much better on the icy roads!

jaapv said:
Ummm.. The tyre size for the PHEV is 225/55R18
Sure, this is true for the standard 18" alloy. I have as mentioned ordered winter tires on 17" alloys. I´m guessing these will be 215/60 but will find out in 2 weeks time... :)

marta said:
The feel will be better on the 17" I'm sure, but I don't know how much different.

Where I live we have very strict rules on studs in the tires, but that would make the grip very much better on the icy roads!
The rules are posed to get stricter here too, but until then i will use these with studs.
I also think 16" don´t do the car justice aesthetically as it´s not as nice to look at, think 17" will keep it looking "normal" ;)

Uno78 said:
jaapv said:
Sure, this is true for the standard 18" alloy. I have as mentioned ordered winter tires on 17" alloys. I´m guessing these will be 215/60 but will find out in 2 weeks time… :)
I have an extra set of alloys 18” with snow tyres. Very happy.

Uno78 said:
jaapv said:
Sure, this is true for the standard 18" alloy. I have as mentioned ordered winter tires on 17" alloys. I´m guessing these will be 215/60 but will find out in 2 weeks time... :)

The recommodation from the local dealer in the Oslo area (Norway) was 225/65x17". I am using Michelin X-Ice X12 studless. The newer X-Ice X13 was not availible in this size. There has been no snow the last week so I do not how well the car is behaving in the snow.

leifa said:
The recommodation from the local dealer in the Oslo area (Norway) was 225/65x17". I am using Michelin X-Ice X12 studless. The newer X-Ice X13 was not availible in this size. There has been no snow the last week so I do not how well the car is behaving in the snow.

Yupp, I have the same spec alloy but with studded Continetal Conti IceContact tires. No snow or ice yet to test them properly, but will go up to my cabin next weekend and will hopefully get some tricky conditions to test the car. The final bit is a very steep gravel road, and with many slow s-shaped turns, so traction is key to get up the hill...

Uno78 said:
leifa said:

Yupp, I have the same spec alloy but with studded Continetal Conti IceContact tires. No snow or ice yet to test them properly, but will go up to my cabin next weekend and will hopefully get some tricky conditions to test the car. The final bit is a very steep gravel road, and with many slow s-shaped turns, so traction is key to get up the hill...

Hi,

Was your previous car a 4WD? What was it?

I wish you comment about your feelings after your trip. Be careful out there.

Garrett said:
Uno78 said:
leifa said:

Hi,

Was your previous car a 4WD? What was it?

I wish you comment about your feelings after your trip. Be careful out there.

My prevoius car was a 2010 2WD Outlander automatic. I could drive it on 16" studded tires most days to the cabin, but mostly with poor traction; meaning the wheels were continuoulsy spinning. So I am confident it will be a breeze to do the same trip now.

I will let you know how it compares, there is around 2 meters of snow in the area, so conditions should be great for testing (only hope they don´t plow to much away so i can get a little challenge... :) )

Back