PHEV box

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmac

anyone used one of these ? http://vtechtuning.eu/phev-box.html?gcl ... 0wodecMFGA

apart from obvious warranty issues any thoughts ?

i have similar on a bike to smooth out jerky throttle - works really well and can be installed easily

You could have a read of this, from the 'Tech' section;

http://www.myoutlanderphev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2191

The first part isn't about the box but the OP (designer of the 'box') evolves the thread quickly to that subject.

JimB

And the "ICE heater stop option" blurb is confusing by talking about cars without electric heaters. I thought it was about stopping the ICE running in cars WITH electric heaters. For the Gx3 you just set the temp at 15.5c and drive with no heater, brrrr!
Or have I missed something?

greendwarf said:
And the "ICE heater stop option" blurb is confusing by talking about cars without electric heaters. I thought it was about stopping the ICE running in cars WITH electric heaters. For the Gx3 you just set the temp at 15.5c and drive with no heater, brrrr!
This function makes the car believe the gap between requested and actual temperature is so small, it can be bridged with just the electrical heater and there is no need to start the engine. Obviously, for cars with no electrical heater this gap is only small enough when it is 0 or less degrees. In other words, for cars without electrical heater this function has no added value.

This morning (10 am) when it was pretty damned cool (ambient temp probably around 10/12 degrees with a 'nithering' northerly breeze) for near midsummer I was stopped at a set of traffic lights running in ECO with the temp set to 15 degrees but with my RAB feather filled light jacket on and thought I'd nudge the temperature up a bit...at 15.5 the bleedin' engine started! The first press of the button!

This is a 4H with electric heater! Fully charged!

Being very slow traffic lights I turned the 'heating' back to 15 and switched the car off, restarted then continued on EV power.

But it's such a pain in the derriere!

But not that much of a pain ....yet.

Frankly there's so little point to the ECO button that Mitsubishi might as well reprogram it to use electric power only then a lot of people would be a lot happier, in my opinion.

JimB

anko said:
greendwarf said:
This function makes the car believe the gap between requested and actual temperature is so small, it can be bridged with just the electrical heater and there is no need to start the engine. Obviously, for cars with no electrical heater this gap is only small enough when it is 0 or less degrees. In other words, for cars without electrical heater this function has no added value.
And on cars with an electric heater it does not function too reliably either in my experience.

Claymore said:
This morning (10 am) when it was pretty damned cool (ambient temp probably around 10/12 degrees with a 'nithering' northerly breeze) for near midsummer I was stopped at a set of traffic lights running in ECO with the temp set to 15 degrees but with my RAB feather filled light jacket on and thought I'd nudge the temperature up a bit...at 15.5 the bleedin' engine started! The first press of the button!
Pretty sure, it wouldn't have with the PHEV Box (if installed properly).

I am pretty sure that, for the engine to start with the heater set to 15.5 deg C, it must have been colder than the 10/12 degrees you thought it was. In ECO mode, the box would have told your car it was (at least) 13 deg C, convincing the car to rely on electric heater only.

jaapv said:
And on cars with an electric heater it does not function too reliably either in my experience.
Is that an issue with your box? Or is than an issue with your expectations? ;)

For example, the box will currently only do its thing when ECO is on. When we start the car, ECO is always off, so if you start up the car with the heater still on from last trip, it cannot prevent the engine from starting. Also, when the heater is set to > approx. 21 deg C when ambient temperature is still quite low, the box cannot prevent the engine from starting.

Obviously, the solution is not perfect (or even finished), as Vtechtuning has confirmed himself. I can't wait for these limitations to be resolved. But understanding the above limitations limitations, I found it to behave rather consistently.

I have no expectations, I am one of those weird persons who does not mind the additional heating by the ICE ;) I only have the system because it was free with he box, so I don't mind.

jaapv said:
I have no expectations, I am one of those weird persons who does not mind the additional heating by the ICE ;) I only have the system because it was free with he box, so I don't mind.
You said something like that before. But if you do not know what to expect, then why the statement that it 'does not function too reliably', I wonder .... Seems not really fair.

Just saw this on the PHEV FB page. Guess if you take it out first how would the dealer know?

By doing this, do you still maintain full warranty from the dealer?

Like · Reply · 1 · Yesterday at 06:18

Yes, nothing is changed in the car. Its just a extra pluggeg box.

Like · Reply · Yesterday at 06:48

Hoff Mitsubishi (MMC Norway) told me that this was not good for the battery, and it would "destroy" the warranty.

Like · Reply · Yesterday at 07:29

Please ask MMC Norway what Mitsubishi have done on the 2017 model that has an EV button. It has the same battery?, so surely it must just be tweaking and programming like the PHEV Box.

Like · Reply · Yesterday at 07:44

I was told it was how the electric energy was delivered too the enegines. It was not good to stress the battery too hard. Such as accelerarion is hard for the battery, especially in low tempratures.

Like · Reply · Yesterday at 07:55

As far as UK dealers are concerned, the fitting off this box to either 15 or 16 Model PHEVs would invalidate the Warranty.

Like · Reply · 10 hrs

Dealers are a bit silly, I guess. The box does not do anything that you could not do yourself if you had sufficient control over your right foot. In theory, it could have been a "mechanical foot" that presses the GO-pedal on your behalf, but with a little bit more control. How will the batteries ever know who is pressing the pedal?

vs2 said:

I was told it was how the electric energy was delivered too the enegines. It was not good to stress the battery too hard. Such as accelerarion is hard for the battery, especially in low tempratures.

Without even knowing how this box actually works - it gives greater mileage by using LESS electricity (about 8%) so, in fact, it must put LESS stress on the battery by allowing it NOT work so hard. :eek:

greendwarf said:
Without even knowing how this box actually works -
I simply remaps the throttle response. It limits how much power is asked and takes a way the kick down effect caused by pressing the accelerator pedal fast.

greendwarf said:
- it gives greater mileage by using LESS electricity (about 8%) so, in fact, it must put LESS stress on the battery by allowing it NOT work so hard. :eek:
To be honest, I am not so sure about that saving of 8%. Personally, I am more concerned with preventing unnecessary cold starts and reducing tailpipe emissions, than with minimising e-kWh/mile. This box allows me to drive faster / harder in EV mode (on trips where I have sufficient range). Effectively this translates to more kWh/mile and more strain on the battery. But like I said, it does nothing that could not also be achieved by proper control of your right foot. If a driver manages to keep the Power needle just left from the 60 kW mark all the time (where green changes to white), would that invalidate his warranty? I may hope not ...

vs2 said:
Just saw this on the PHEV FB page. Guess if you take it out first how would the dealer know?

Hoff Mitsubishi (MMC Norway) told me that this was not good for the battery, and it would "destroy" the warranty.

Please ask MMC Norway what Mitsubishi have done on the 2017 model that has an EV button. It has the same battery?, so surely it must just be tweaking and programming like the PHEV Box.

As far as UK dealers are concerned, the fitting off this box to either 15 or 16 Model PHEVs would invalidate the Warranty.

Like · Reply · 10 hrs
Like - my box was built in by my dealer - because they were interested in the function and it saved me getting under the steering wheel. A bit hard to deny guaranty in that case, I should think.

jaapv said:
vs2 said:

Like · Reply · 10 hrs
Like - my box was built in by my dealer - because they were interested in the function and it saved me getting under the steering wheel. A bit hard to deny guaranty in that case, I should think.
I should think so too :D
My car will be in for service next week (80000 km). I am not going to remove the box. Actually, I was thinking about suggesting to the dealer he would take it for a spin .... Just to feel how it is different from others.

I don't know about the Netherlands, but UK dealers are usually independent businesses and have no say in whether a particular claim will be handled under warranty - they would need to get approval from Mitsubishi. I've no reason to believe Mitsubishi are better or worse than average in challenging such claims, but most manufacturers would be understandably suspicious of non-standard modifications to vehicles. (If they could discover such to be the case - that could be difficult with the 'box' under discussion and I entirely accept the explanation that it does nothing that can't be achieved by a sensitive right foot.)

It's also a standard question when applying for car insurance in the UK to ask: "Has the vehicle been subject to any modification from the manufacturer's original specification?" If you answer 'yes', you'll probably face a lengthy discussion to establish whether this is a 'boy racer' type of modification (which this isn't, of course), with some risk of a 'computer says No' type of conclusion. If you lie, you risk having future claims disqualified.

Back