PHEV 'Emergency' recovery?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NightPHEVer

Forres, Scotland, UK. 2014 GX4h with clear rear li
I was considering the extent of potential damage that could occur should my PHEV need to be 'recovered' (maybe just slid of the road in ice, or stuck on wet grass for instance). The manual states that the PHEV should not be towed as damage to the drive systems could result. I wonder to what extent a PHEV can be 'towed' - for what distance. Has anyone ever done this? I would assume if the motor was running and it was in D it shouldn't do much harm? Well, apart from the risk of driving into the back of the tow vehicle.

In all the cars I've had I always have suitable recovery equipment on board just in case (mainly so my car doesn't get unnecessary damage in the process), so I always have a proper recovery rope and bow shackles (actually, in the past it's usually me rescuing somebody else). I was going to get a recovery bridle from Machine Mart (er, don't know how to attach the image? Page 453 of current MM catalogue, £15.59). Basically, two bow shackles on the two loop-hooks on the car, a webbing bridle between the two, with a central bigger bow shackle to attach the tow rope to - which would appear to suit the PHEV's two front hooks. But in the manual it says to only use the (UK) passenger side hook, not the driver's side as this is apparently only for securing the PHEV onto a transporter.

Odd this, as both hooks look identical to me, and I considered that a bridle of the type described was likely to cause the least potential damage to the front of the PHEV if recovery was needed. It also means the recovery towing rope is centralised giving much better control. Anyone know more about this?

There are some recommendations towards the end of this document...

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/106981165/PHEV/PHEV%20Outlander%20EmergencyProcedureManualaus.pdf

Personally I would call Mitsubishi!

Thanks for that Tipper - really interesting stuff. I shall read and digest. Let's hope that anyone involved in recovering a PHEV knows all this. By the look of it, a similar level of comprehension is required to that of dealing with a nuclear accident. Should be ok then. I see the illustration shows both tow hooks for recovery, not just the one like the owner's manual does?.

Every PHEV should have this recovery information supplied with the vehicle I reckon. Can't wait to read the bit about what to do if the drive battery is damaged - you'd hope the recovery man has read all this information before the rescue commences though.

Update: now read it all - the bit about using a fork lift to submerge the incapacitated PHEV into a gigantic blow-up pool for 84 hours sounds like a social network fake news story. But it would seem it's not!

Back