PHEV "Pure EV" mode - ICE(generator) Warning and Alarm App

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zzcoopej

Anyone with a PHEV knows we are missing a "Pure EV" mode, so instead we watch that the Power gauge stays in Eco zone (<60kW) ensuring the ICE/generator remains off.
Well, now I've made this much easier. In my App I can set a warning sound at say 45kW of battery draw and an alarm sound at say 55kW. If I watch the dash power gauge the warning and alarm sounds from my App are very timely. To test my warning+alarm I was accelerating harder than I normally do, and once I managed to start the ICE started by mistake. This may be because it looks like sudden throttle changes even in the ECO range of the power dial also activate the ICE, however I can set warning and alarm sounds here also.
My Android App called EvBatMon is currently in beta testing and will be ready before Christmas so keep a spot for it in your stocking. A $10 OBD adapter is also required for this solution, and the App also lets you view everything going on in your PHEV right down to the 80 individual battery cells. I hope you enjoy this new functionality as much as I do!

The NORMAL "flatten battery first" mode does a good job to give pure EV driving. Only during power demands that exceed the battery capacity to supply, will the ICE operate. MMC could have easily offered a user selected power warning screen to be enabled.

EvBatMon with preset battery power warnings is a useful aid to educate the driver to help an EV driving style.

The OBD port is not multi tasking so will make data recording with another application a bit difficult.

We can tell that you guys live in a warm climate! For those of us in northern Europe, the biggest block on EV only driving is heating....

maby said:
northern Europe, the biggest block on EV only driving is heating....

Yes we do have warm weather "down under", maybe too warm with two 40+C days in Sydney and its still only spring.
I wonder what insight the App can provide about the "ICE heating" bugbear?

Back