PHEV spare tyre

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SS2115

Here's a question for debate:

I recently purchased a used 2020 outlander PHEV. I asked the dealer to throw in a spare tyre to the deal - just leave it in the load area.
I told him I was quite happy with a space saver on a steel rim or a used wheel just as long as it was the same diameter and bolt pattern to my road wheels of course.

When I picked up the car, there was a new full size tyre on a full size used mag wheel sitting in the back. Not the same tyre manufacturer as the road tyres and a different mag, but off a Mitsubishi.
I wasn't disappointed, but at the same time I had secretly had in the back of my mind that a space saver would be easier to work out a mount and storage when I got around to it.

So I thanked them but also asked why not a cheaper space saver solution and the guy replied they were worried about the load rating of a space saver on the 1880kg PHEV despite the slightly lighter non-EV Outlander being sold with a space saver (I think they are about 1500kg?).

I'm pretty sure I've seen space savers on equally heavy vehicle of all sorts of make including Merc - I had a 2003 C200 K wagon for several years.

So whats the opinion - space saver okay or the dealer is correct?

There's another thing that the dealer didn't mention.

If the wheels and tyres don't match, that causes other problems with the automatic stability control etc.

I believe that members have reported issues running two different brands of tyre on the same 'axle' even though they were the same size.

The tires and rims must be the same size and recommended same brand/model, otherwise, the system will call out an error.

I had heard that to be a Jeep problem ending in shredded transfer boxes but never on any other car make.
And even then there had to be a difference in the diameter but it was sensitive to be a new correct size tyre on the same axle as a worn correct size tyre on a Jeep.

Is this the "real" reason there's no spare and not that it's weight and space saving?

Cause it will be much more difficult for them to find a space saver with same outside circumference, especially under load then to throw a full size mag and tire matching the size of those already on the vehicle.

nrayanov said:
The tires and rims must be the same size and recommended same brand/model, otherwise, the system will call out an error.

That's wrong - it might cause an error if you're unlucky. Mine was supplied by a dealer with 2 differently worn pairs of makes front and rear and it never caused a problem in the 10k and 20k miles till I replaced them. The cars do seem to vary in sensitivity to a mismatch, so some throw up a warning while others are fine. I replaced all 4 tyres in December 2021 and had to replace one with an irreparable puncture last December. I was worried that a new tyre on a set with a year's wear might throw an error, but all seems to have been fine on the 2,500-mile road trip we've done since.

We took a spacesaver on our road trip but luckily didn't need it. It was meant as a last resort, so I could have dealt with a few errors if it meant I could drive somewhere and get the tyre fixed/replaced.

A lot of fuss about wheel sizes, matching tyres etc etc on 4x4 vehicles is for those with mechanical differentials between front and rear, and locking differentials side to side. The PHEV has none of that, so those arguments are not relevant. The wheels speeds as measured by the ABS sensors being different for long enough can throw up errors related to the Regen braking though, anecdotally.

I carry a full sized Outlander wreckers spare. Never had to use it in 50K. In terms of mismatch of wheel diameters the same variables can be found in poorly maintained tyre pressures. Unless the axles are locked their isn't a problem.

Back