pink/purple liquid from front driver side wheel hub/pad

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tweedie

Hello,

Whilst I was hand cleaning my wheels of a 16 plate Outlander, I noticed that on the front driver side wheel that the water washed out from the wheel was coming out pinky/purplish colour. it looked like it was coming out of the brake calipers or wheel hubs.

At first I thought brake fluid leaking but I am sure those are clear and the brake fluid reservoir appears to be at max and clear liquid. Its not appearing to be dripping out now.

Any idea what else it could be? I didn't think there is any other liquid is around that area.

thanks.

really? darn, dealer is just over an hour drive for me so trying to avoid the unnecessary trip if its something stupid!

According to https://www.pepboys.com/car_care_corner/car_care_basics/maintenance/car_leaking_fluid

pink liquid indicates either power steering fluid or transmission fluid. I guess its in the right sort of area especially in the power steering

The power steering is electric AFAIK. You would not want to lose that in any case, it would really build up your biceps in that one hour drive.Transmission fluid is not very good either, chewing up the transmission gear of the electrical motor would not be very nice.The third possiblity, most likely, a leaking brake piston seal, could give interresting results as well. Of course, you could have driven through a purple puddle without noticing... ;)

Did you feel the texture of the liquid? Like, was it watery or oily? Could it not be antifreeze - isn't that pink these days? Or maybe previously spilt washer fluid? I've noticed that when I wash the front wheels on my PHEV that the hollow nature of the disc carrier (2014 GX4h) means that grubby water drips from the hollow part of the disc on to the inside of the wheel. But that's usually brake-dust grey. Hmm.

NightPHEVer said:
Did you feel the texture of the liquid? Like, was it watery or oily? Could it not be antifreeze - isn't that pink these days? Or maybe previously spilt washer fluid? I've noticed that when I wash the front wheels on my PHEV that the hollow nature of the disc carrier (2014 GX4h) means that grubby water drips from the hollow part of the disc on to the inside of the wheel. But that's usually brake-dust grey. Hmm.

wish I took more noticed and photo'ed it. What sticks in my mind it was kinda a thick gravy like. Don't recall any "rainbow" colours that you usually see with oil.

I got in touch with the mitsubishi garage and they reckon is a "coolant" fluid - advise not to drive and call the MAP (MITSUBISHI ASSISTANCE PACKAGE) for them to come and check it out.

Don't think its related but the day before, I drove to Glasgow from Blackpool (380miles round trip) 99% motorway and didn't noticed anything out of place. Achieved 38mpg if anyone is interested which isn't too bad for a vehicle of that size/weight with no heating/air condition on.

Back