Pre-heating.

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carnut

I have a cunning plan for those of you charging from a 13amp socket.
To save diminishing your EV range even further and to do away with all the problems that some of you appear to be having with either manual or 'APP' controlled heating.
I haven't yet got to grips with the 'APP' so Haven't had the joy of remote preheat.
Assuming that one has a switch INSIDE the house for the outside socket..........................
place either a 'black heat' (conservatory heater) in the car or a fan heater on low with the cable going out through a tightly 'up' window and you can turn the heat on and off (or even put it on a timer if you are that lazy).
Et voila, cold mornings solved.

All that marvellous technology - wasted!

Many people can't be bothered to plug in the car when they get on the drive, never mind lugging a heater out to the car, then going to a switch near the car to turn it on when needed. Cunning Plan? Think again Baldrick! :roll:

Neverfuel said:

Many people can't be bothered to plug in the car when they get on the drive, never mind lugging a heater out to the car, then going to a switch near the car to turn it on when needed. Cunning Plan? Think again Baldrick! :roll:

I was tending to assume that this was a plan for GX3h owners. If you have a built-in heater, then I can't imagine dropping a separate heater in it!

maby said:
Neverfuel said:

I was tending to assume that this was a plan for GX3h owners. If you have a built-in heater, then I can't imagine dropping a separate heater in it!

Nah! car nut has a 4h, but says he hasn't got to grips with the app! 5 mins playing should do the trick!

Point 1 if you can't be bothered to plug it in why do you have a PHEV? (Neverfuel)
2, Setting on fire, that is why I suggested a 'black' heater, they give out about the same heat as a 150 watt bulb and the element does not glow red (hint is in the name.)
3. This plan was really for those of you worried about screwing your EV range by preheating. Having never bothered I don't know how much EV it uses.

My idea was to have a 'black' heater in the car with a lead and plug on it. drive up to the PPoint, plug in, turn on when you want it from the switch inside the house.

'APP'. I have to go to Poole Mitsubishi for a teach in & reload of 'app' as I had it on when I got the car but it never worked.
I may well ditch this idea if I (Grant of PMit)can get it to work satisfactorily.

Frankly I think there is too much unnecessary electrical 'gizmology on this car and it is a pity they did not cut back on all the unnecessary cr@p and get the bits we do need to work properly or at least warn owners of the little pitfalls, (to wit) turn your wi-fi off or the 'phone won't work)
I can't remember when I last needed to use a sat nave & I don't want the bloody screen coming up every time I switch on , even in split screen mode. :oops:

I doubt you would even notice 150 watts in a car that size! The 4kw of the heater takes several minutes to make any noticeable difference - I suspect that the car loses heat at a rate greater then 150W.

Carnut,

No offense was intended, but just to put the story straight:

I do plug in at every opportunity at home or away. I also use rapid chargers whenever convenient, this is attested by my figures - I have done 6620 miles since new and only put 347 litres in the car so far, so I am currently at 86.8 mpg lifetime mileage. I have spent £136 on electric which brings my total spend on fuel and electric to £514.27 since April 30 last year. Therefore total cost per mile has been 7.7 pence to date. (I am not taking into consideration the nearly full tank in these calcs, so it will be a bit better than quoted once I run the figures at the next fill up).

As you can probably tell, I like my car very much, not just for the fuel consumption, but for the interesting things I have learned since I got it.

My point is - even if the EV range was reduced slightly by pre heating using the on board heater, it would not make a big deal of difference in the long run, especially as we can charge free at motorway services, effectively getting something for nothing. It is also hard to tell in the winter how much the battery has lost, especially when the MMCS still shows 16 bars at start up, so I think the losses are negligible if the car remains plugged in whilst remote heating. I also don't think 150 watts is going to make a sizeable difference in 10 to 20 mins, and as soon as you unplug it the car will start cooling down. It will then throw cold air at you and maybe start the engine to warm the car up as soon as you press start, instead of having instant heat because you have pre- warmed.

I don't think the effort of plugging in a separate heater, then unplugging, winding up cables etc would be worth most peoples effort, unless they had the GX3 maybe.

The app really is simple to use once it is set up - give it a try, these are plenty of old threads on here that can help with the setup. Or anyone on here would help you if you get stuck.

The other things you don't like, I can't really help with. If you are struggling with your phone wifi there is a fix for that on the forum - just set up a static IP address for the car wifi, instead of a DHCP one, just need to search for it. As for the Sat Nav - just put one of the EV screens on instead and observe what your car is doing.

No offence taken, I can asure you.
I wll go to Dealer and get it sorted.
I always run on the EV screens. It would just be nice if I could leave the screen showing that I want and for it to be there on boot up, rather than having to fart about every single time I start up.
Changing the driving habits of 53 years takes a bit of getting used to. All my driving life
I have turned a key and G O N E➡➡➡➡➡
Not had to go through 'flight checks' before every take orf!

Back